Marco - Original armor from the 1980's--ever heard of it?

I just met a future 501st member today. We talked at length and he told me that his armor that he has right now was from someone called "Marco Enterprises" Since I know nothing of this armor nor did he show me complete armor photos, I could not tell him if it's legion approved armor. He says he has owned it since the 80's when he was a kid.

He also told me that he owns a helmet by "SKYGUN BROS." He says it's fiberglass and it looks a bit "off" to me. Does anyone have infor on either of these names?

If I had pics to post, I would. I don't for now.

Edited by gmrhodes13
Title updated

Yeah, Marco was one of the first armour kits ever made. Looks terrible by todays standards, but are rare now so it might be worth keeping for the historic value. It may be what Albin used when first founding the 501st.

Skygun is a fairly well known prop maker and has made some really cool "concept" helmets amongst other things.

So being that this guys suit is really the "founding Father" of the 501st, I would assume it would be legion approved? He has replaced the FX looking helmet above with the Skygun helmet. It's no TM, ATA, or RS props, but it's better than FX

Edited by gazmosis

Now *this* is an interesting scenario.

A Marco suit hasn't been seen in years - let alone approved. I think he'll need to have some discussions with your GML, and your GML then needs to talk to the LMO and show him some photos of him wearing the kit.

Yeah, times have changed and evolved so it probably won't pass.

It's like saying that you found an original Macintosh computer from the 80's in your basement and are wondering if you can use it to run the programs available today on it.

I am currently speaking with my GML regarding this. The jury is out and we will see. I will have this guy send me pics. I am as anxious to see the rest of his armor as you guys are!!!

If you are applying as new to the Legion or are going from retired to active, the suit won't pass. If a person from 15 years ago has worn that suit and never had a break in service, it would still count.

There is not a single costume from 15 years ago that would be approvable now. Heck, when I joined to be a Legion sandtrooper you could be an HWT with dirt and voila - sandtrooper! What is base CRL now for sandtroopers is what MEPD deployed standards were back then.

...Well I aquired the armor sometime about 1983-84... still remember the address and had tons of those old xeroxed cataloges! John Marco was his name. It needed a lot of work, and the helmet was indeed downright goofy... but I am still in the process of ressurecting this 'old fossil'! The helmet is a skygunbros... again... totally a work in progress!!! Gaza... teach me o' wise one...lol.

post-16649-0-00383200-1337818757.jpg

Have the bells... need knee plate. And better pics... All I really need is the undersuit and some extra time.... Again... it needs fine tuning/fitting/strapping... this pic wat the first time I tried this thing on, after weathering it, in 25 years!!!

Depends totally on the GML to be honest mate.

I'd say he probably would get cleared. What garrison would he fall under?

It's not the best, but historically awesome :) he could get cleared. Shouldn't be could :)

He'd just not get the EIB stuff here.

Very ironic twist to the flow of that suit if he doesn't :)

Edited by john danter

I'd definitely keep that as a historical piece. Its cool for that reason alone. Probably not worth trying to make approvable. Do you think it would stand up to trooping? I'd think it would be kinda fragile, being so old.

Oops! But they're still NOT sandtrooper-y ;)

Hehe true. ;) not many people seem to go with the cheese grater hand guards for their sandies. =/

• Like 1

I spoke with John today and with much hesitation told him that it would be more worth his time and effort to just invest in a new set of armor rather than go through the time and expense of working on this armor and still it might not be approved. I did suggest for historic reasons that he hang onto it. The Midwest Garrison does a few events a year where items are on display and his Marco armor would be perfect for that!

Stay tuned.... I DO plan to get this guy presentable. Had positive feedback on the "dirt", however in the picture it's all over me like a cheap suit. If ANYONE knows ANYTHING about this Marco Armor let me know. Google TK619... It's the ONLY OTHER marco restoration I've seen out there and he says Steven Sansweet may have the only other existing one?!? And the one he's restoring is circa 1990-ish... I got that beat by 6 years! Hell, I still have 2 marco lightsaber hilts! Crude but you could knock out a grizzly with them...

http://www.wpgworkshop.com/wpgworkshop/TK619.html Check this out. Now this particular one is speculated to be from the '90's, mine dates back to 1983. And Sansweet has the only other one known to "exist"? It is fragile compared to today's standards for sure! The picture posted is literally the first time I wore it in 25 years! A little too far gone to bring her back to spit and polish shiny, so I took the dirty route. Gimmie time fellas... I'll ressurect this fossil and make you guys proud. And I gotta post a pic of the original bucket... it is comical.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I know your goal is becoming a 501st Member (which is awesome by the way :)) and you already have a kit so why spend this huge amount of money on another contemporary kit.

But if I read that correctly, you are the proud owner of one of 3 Marco Kits worldwide, together with that restoring guy and Sansweet (probably). That makes the entire suit, despite the odd look compared to newer kits, something special, I'd even say: treat it as if it was an original movie prop. Make it look good and shiny/dirty but don't wear it or troop it. As others have said, after all these years, the material might be too fragile.

Conserve it and make it become a piece of fan-made TK armor history

• Like 1