Meanders TK Build [*ATA]

On the list for an ATA from 1787 so currently in the 'build method research' phase,

Lid looks great mate!

f. How's your calf armour retention method hold up during trooping. Any other modifications to that particular area?

Cheers!

f. The intention of the "stopper" was to avoid the shins closing in more than needed rather than keep them from opening. But I don't think that's needed now. Once I'd put the strapped shins in the bucket of hot water they've stayed pretty much in a natural closed state ever since.

th_Shins6.jpg

One other mod, for which I don't have a photo handy, was a strap on the inside of the left shin to stop it riding up over the heel of the boot. The left shin is smaller around the ankle compared to the right, so when I was walking the bottom back of the shin piece would ride up over the top of the boot and, armour being what it is, I could not bend over to fix it. It's basically a strap with one end attached to the loop on the back of the boot. The other end is has a snap which attaches halfway up the back of the shin which I attach when putting it on. So when I flex my left angle, at a certain point the strap reaches its limit and stops the shin riding up.

Brilliant modification to adopt for the calf armour 3482,

I noticed for level two certification "There is no seam present on the front of the boot." so I'll need to invest in some new boots:

MhvTiCB.jpg

l. I see you've gone for Saxon's... what was your whitening process (Waproo product details)? http://www.horseland.com.au/saxon-equileather-pull-on-jodhpur-boots-20115900.html

Z1EnSmR.jpg

I see 1287 has a nice video tutorial here:

​m. What is the actual height of your boot (from the top of the sole to the top of the leather) and in your opinion, what height would a boot need to be to alleviate the need for an anti-riding strap)? 

n. Can you don your amour with no assistance?

o. How much of a return edge on the inside of the forearms have you left?

Edited by tk671

l. I see you've gone for Saxon's... what was your whitening process (Waproo product details)? http://www.horseland.com.au/saxon-equileather-pull-on-jodhpur-boots-20115900.html

​m. What is the actual height of your boot (from the top of the sole to the top of the leather) and in your opinion, what height would a boot need to be to alleviate the need for an anti-riding strap)? 

n. Can you don your amour with no assistance?

n. How much of a return edge on the inside of the forearms have you left?

l. I used the Waproo spray I picked up from Mr Minit. I got by with one can and a number of light coats. Masking tape on the soles of course. It does not whiten the elastics as much as I'd like, but these are mostly covered by the shin pieces anyway. This has worn very well. The only place where it has worn is the back of the ankle where the shin rubs on the boot.

m. I'll see if I can get some photos. Another centimetre height on the boot might have meant I didn't need it. But it won't affect the armour build. Its just something you can add later if needed.

n. Yes I can; in this order

- Thighs held in place with a leather belt.

- Boots

- Shins

- All the body armor in one piece. Before I put it on, the left shoulder strap is snapped and the left side is snapped together. I slip the 'clam shell' on, snap the right shoulder strap, crotch strap and right side.

(at this point I can no long bend over to pick things up on the floor, so make sure everything else is in reach. A table or bench is good! :) )

- Shoulder bells and biceps go on in one piece. I have a strap from the shoulder straps with a snap to attach the bells.

- Gloves

- Forearms. I have a velcro strip from the base of the bicep, along the inside of the elbow, which slides under the forearm to hold it in position.

- Hand plates.

n2. Bugger all return in most places. I still have some where the outer strips are, so it might not be quite to Centurion level, but it would be very close.

For the record, my boot height is 170mm:

JHzMR5r.jpg

Never had a riding up issue.

www.caboots.com size 10.5 (I take a size 10 US in runners purchased locally but the 10.5 stormtrooper boots fit perfectly). Paid 114.49 AUD (including shipping) ordered 10 Sep 04, received 20 Sep 04.

​Looks like the stock they currently have available still have a seam present on the front of the boot: https://www.caboots.com/cart/product/stormtrooper_ankle_boots/

​p. Anyone have a supplier of level two certification boots?

Edited by tk671