Meanders TK Build [*ATA]

And that about wraps it up for the WIP! It started in one garrison and finished in another and its been a long and enjoyable journey. Thanks for all the comments along the way and I hope this record encourages and helps the builders that follow.

So, say hello to TK-3482 (just got approved last night!)

Actionshot5-ThisoneforGWL.jpg

Headandshoulders-bucketoff.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I'm just building on all the good ideas others have already posted here. 

I'm not even kidding, this is the best construction of an ATA  kit I've ever seen. I wanna see more pictures!!

Did you use 'offcut' for your shoulder bridges or some of the flat sheet that comes with the kit?

I used some of the flat sheet that comes with the kit. 

One thing I did early on was find some extra ABS sheet from a local plastics supplier because I didn't think the sheets that came with the kit would cover everything. Obviously it wasn't an exact colour match, but I used that for the inside shims on the shins and thighs. That way I definitely had enough sheets for everything else, especially the cover strips.

More pictures? I didn't take photos of some of the other basics. Even before I got the kit I did spend a lot of time looking at PandaTrooper's Helmet build and Stukatrooper's TM build so I knew what I was getting into. There's only so many photos of people trimming armor people want to see :)

The best thing I did was download all the ANH Bluray reference photos onto my phone so I always had them handy to check on things.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Thank you for sharing! Your journey on your TK build has me inspired to try to bring my build to a much higher level. Many more details on your photobucket account for those want to see even more.

Hi Andrew,

I'm in the sanding/fitting pieces together stage of my MTK armor, similar in many respects as your ATA.

Interesting there are plenty of assembly threads but one has to dig through a lot of builds to find what the owners did to overcome warpage. I am finding as you did, some parts can be "persuaded" with glue and clamps. While other parts, need to be reshaped with some creative application of heat and shaping.

Thank you again from one structured individual to another, your careful planning and attention to detail spoke volumes to me. It gave me ideas on how to overcome the left bicep and right forearm shape problems with the MTK armor.

I too didn't want to bore/document the cutting, sanding,and gluing parts of the build but been taking photos along the way of any challenges.

Thank you,

Adam

Good tip on the lens fixing there.

Hi Andrew,

I'm in the sanding/fitting pieces together stage of my MTK armor, similar in many respects as your ATA.

Interesting there are plenty of assembly threads but one has to dig through a lot of builds to find what the owners did to overcome warpage. I am finding as you did, some parts can be "persuaded" with glue and clamps. While other parts, need to be reshaped with some creative application of heat and shaping.

Thank you again from one structured individual to another, your careful planning and attention to detail spoke volumes to me. It gave me ideas on how to overcome the left bicep and right forearm shape problems with the MTK armor.

I too didn't want to bore/document the cutting, sanding,and gluing parts of the build but been taking photos along the way of any challenges.

Thank you,

Adam

Have you got a build thread happening Adam? I'm building my MTK armor as well at the moment. Edited by Sith Lord

• 1 year later...

Too right,

Please give my regards to the SA crew.

Got a few questions for you:

a. How have you found trooping in this armour... is it holding up well?

b. What current glove/hand plate combination are you trooping with and how do you find it for trooping?

c. Did your ATA kit have a #number on it (a build number)?

d. What kind of helmet harness are you using?

e. Are you planning on upgrading to Centurion? 

Take it easy!

• Like 1

Too right,

Please give my regards to the SA crew.

Got a few questions for you:

a. How have you found trooping in this armour... is it holding up well?

b. What current glove/hand plate combination are you trooping with and how do you find it for trooping?

c. Did your ATA kit have a #number on it (a build number)?

d. What kind of helmet harness are you using?

e. Are you planning on upgrading to Centurion? 

Take it easy!

a. The armour has been going great. Pretty comfortable to wear. It gets a few scuffs, but a wipe with methylated spirits and a paper towel cleans it up nicely. The bucket lives in a display cabinet when not in use and the rest of the kit stays packed away. So I haven't seen any yellowing.

b. Nomex flight gloves and the ABS handplates. I made up an elastic harness to hold the handplates on.

c. Not numbered, just dated 2012.

th_DSCN8669.jpg

d. Didn't end using a harness. Basically the top of the helmet rests on the top of my head. If it sat any higher it didn't look right compared to other movie reference photos. Then I used neoprene weather seal for some blocks around the side. You can buy, for example, 25mm wide x 10mm thick strips of self adhesive weather seal from Clarke Rubber. I used a double block at the front to get the bucket in the right spot (and after some trooping, some more to cover the bolts on the ears to stop cutting up my face when putting on the bucket :) ). I wear a skull cap so I don't sweat against the top of the helmet.

th_HelmetLiner3.jpg th_HelmetLiner1.jpg

e. Not really any plans to upgrade to centurion. I think most of the suit would be OK to upgrade, but I'd need to get the latex handplates and a new E-11 to replace the Hasbro/DoopyDoos kit. Happy to keep trooping Expert Infantry :)

You can check out my photobucket album as well - http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Meanders/library/TK%20Build

So are you looking to upgrade?

• Like 1

On the list for an ATA from 1787 so currently in the 'build method research' phase,

Lid looks great mate!

f. How's your calf armour retention method hold up during trooping. Any other modifications to that particular area?

Cheers!

Edited by tk671

Hello again 8351!

gK9P4Y2.jpg

You'd be able to answer the following questions:

g. What made you go ANH Hero and ANH Stunt?

h. Which one is your favourite?

Edited by tk671
  • Like 1

Hello again 8351!

You'd be able to answer the following questions:

g. What made you go ANH Hero and ANH Stunt?

h. Which one is your favourite?

Hi :D

Hmmm, started off with ANH Stunt. I got my hands on a TE ANH Hero bucket for pretty cheap. From there, it isn't hard to do up another belt and holster combo. Took some photos, and sent them in to my GML. ANH Hero, done!!

ANH Stunt by a long shot. I hate bubble lenses. I've worn the Hero set up once at Supanova Brisbane, and that was enough. 2 days of that gave me headaches.

I generally wear ESB now, not because I prefer it, just that my kit bag has the ESB setup in it ( belt, holster and handplates), wih ESB bucket sitting on top, and I'm too lazy to change it out to ANH stunt.

What are you planning on with your new build?

October 2007 brother,

Always been a bubble lense kind of trooper, so an 'ATA ANH Hero level three certification' build planned at this stage.

General question for troopers with rubber or rubber-like chemical gloves, in black:

i. What's your donning method... do you slide the fully closed forearm armour on after you put the gloves on (the latex or latex-like, painted white hand guards slip through the fully closed forearm armour), do you slip the fully closed forearm armour on then don the gloves, feeding them back into the fully closed forearm armour or do you don the gloves then close the forearm armour around your forearms (not fully closed armour, just an opening set like the calf armour? Is the opening set still level three approved considering the ease of donning/removing the armour?

No such thing as a stupid question right?

j. Does a trooper need to achieve level two approval prior to achieving level three certification?

​k. Does an E-11 need an ammo counter and power cylinders for level three certification?

Thanks for being my sounding board lads! Any other down under troopers in here besides 3483, 4582, 8079, 8351, 11469 and 85421?

Edited by tk671