Helmet Repair / Armour Upgrade

I bought a set of armor from a retiring member. Here is one of the two helmets I got with the kit, the other is an unmodded MR. Is there any repair method for filling the hairline cracks and fixing or replacing the ear caps? Or would it be easier to mod the MR with the very helpful tutorials posted here? Link to photos-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Hi Brandon,

I believe you can get hero style ears from ATA but I'm not sure if you can get them on their own or only if you are buying a helmet kit. The damaged helmet is pretty beat up and will take quite a bit of filling and then painting to get it looking nice. Painting it will also mean removing all the decals and trim. Another option would be to sell the MR lid and buy a new helmet kit from one of the sellers here.

I would used Bondo paste for the cracks and chips. Prep is going to be the key to this. your going to have to sand fill, sand fill, sand from 100 grit down to 2000 grit or higher then paint again to get that bad boy looking good. But it can be done...

Go with what Terrell said! With the time, materials, and money you would spend and not be guaranteed the outcome, you'd be better off buying a new helmet kit. Set him up, Terrell!!!!

My two cents , I will buy a new one and leave that one as it is, there's something really cool about the way the paint is cracking away , with a little work it really could look battle damaged , or like the guys are saying , death trooper it :smiley-sw013:

Thanks for the advice, a new helmet kit looks like what I need to do. I'm thinking about converting this one to a sandy to cover the repairs. This suit was listed as a ANH Hero, any kit in particular I should look for?

Heres my first attempt at fitting the armor it was listed as a ANH Hero. What ya think?

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 5/19/2012 at 11:16 AM, Idaho Jones said:

Heres my first attempt at fitting the armor it was listed as a ANH Hero. What ya think?

------------

I think your album is set to private. ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13

What you have there is an out-of-the-box FX with an eFX helmet. May want to do some mods to it. Does take a beating though.

Mate, if you were here in Australia I would be able to restore it for you, doh! There is a way of repairing/restoring it without taking off the decals but would take someone who has the expertise and skills.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 4 weeks later...

Oh man. Plastic belt, shiny detonator and all. Classic example of the FX kits getting recycled into service.

Ā 

I would suggest to you E6000. I personally use 3M adhesive because E6000 is very messy IMO, and I don't like the cure time. However, if you mess it up you can always go back and pull it off.

that's why e-6000 is so nice to use... easy removal.

Ā 

when still wet it's also easy to wipe off with a towel too...

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Oh man. Plastic belt, shiny detonator and all. Classic example of the FX kits getting recycled into service.

Ā 

I would suggest to you E6000. I personally use 3M adhesive because E6000 is very messy IMO, and I don't like the cure time. However, if you mess it up you can always go back and pull it off.

Ā 

Im swapping out the belt, buttons and the other items Identified in the FX upgrade thread mentioned earlier. What can I do to the TD Canister to bring it up to Par, I want to ditch the velcro and add the spring clips for sure what else can I do to the canister itself?

Ā 

that's why e-6000 is so nice to use... easy removal.

Ā 

when still wet it's also easy to wipe off with a towel too...

Ā 

E6000 thanks fo the suggestion guys, I have some on my workbench

Ā 

BTW Can I edit the thread title?

Edited by Idaho Jones

I can do it for you. What would you like it to say?

Ā 

"Helmet Repair/Armor Upgrade" Thanks!

Ā 

We had an armor party today after an event so I brought along this helmet. I mixed up a small amount of bondo and attacked a small crack on the back of the helmet. After sanding it looked pretty good. As im going to have to repaint anyway, I'm going to give it a go and attempt to patch the cracks.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my web belt in but before I pulled of the plastic one I wanted to have the clips on my TD canister done. How's it look? and as you can see I pulled of the sticker.

post-15815-0-27592400-1342236302.jpg