Should I trim the top of the thigh armor?

Hi everyone!

Just got in!!! Gonna post my request soon!!! anyways, I have a question, should I trim the top of my thigh armor? It sorta pinches and kinda hard to walk... I was thinking I could cut about 1/2 to 1 inch from the top? Has anyone else done this? And what are your results when wearing your armor?

Thanks,

Grue 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

if you look at screen used armor it's tight everywhere.

rotate your thighs out and bring them up.

the knees or shins will fit better that way.

look at troopers on screen. your thighs are too low.

you can also notch the backs of your thighs.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

What Vern means is that before you trim the top of your thighs (please don't!), you can trim the area at the back of the knee (bottom of the thigh armour), to roughly mirror the trimming you have done on the calves.

This will give you more freedom of movement in the area at the back of your knee joint and will most likely stop pushing the thigh armour up as much.

Use original armour as reference ....

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Fangs vern!!!! I got them to fit just right now!!!! They are about an 1/2 inch above my knee plate!!! Just like in the movies!!!! Now I just gotta adjust the belt that holds them up!!!

Take scare and stake dead,

Grue!!!

look at the film the thighs are all pulled up.

all the film troopers are up, tight and high.

no gap.

no 501 gap just pulled up high.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

What can also help on the left thigh is to put some padding at the back of the thigh to bring the front flush to your leg as this allows the sniper plate to stay in front of the thigh and not go under or collide with it.

Edited by TKmAx

• 5 months later...

@TKRalf....

I see that you created a notch on the back of your thighs. Is that just your preference for comfort or is that a legit modification for acceptance into the legion? By the way...I am currently build my AP armor and the back of my thighs looks like I'm going to have to do the same. I just dont want to screw up my armor if I really dont have to.

any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Joe.

I find you get maximum movement by trimming the top of the thigh and front of the ankle (I can sit down on the floor cross-legged in my kit)

--------

Notches at the back stop armour bites, but they affect the look of the legs

Ditto to wearing the thighs high

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I find you get maximum movement by trimming the top of the thigh and front of the ankle (I can sit down on the floor cross-legged in my kit)

558077_307998822598913_1003508676_n.jpg

Notches at the back stop armour bites, but they affect the look of the legs

Ditto to wearing the thighs high

Dude..thats crazy how you could do that. How much of the thighs and ankle did you have to trim? You got a picture of you standing up? Awesome looking armor by the way.....

Rotating: Yes! I didn't successfully rotate them outwards because the way my legs fit them it just resets back into forward position as soon as I move. Your garter system will help you keep it in slight outwards position. It's the preferred method.

Trimming: I took off 2 centimeters off the top of my thighs, I am 5 feet 9 11/16 and I can sit down, kneel. The reason I did this is because it's an allowed modification and a small reduction goes a long way. With the right tools you can respect the original shape while trimming. If you have a hot sealing iron or hobby iron to return the edge, then you trim less to take in account that return edge. I don't have that very tool. You end up with a shorter thigh piece as if nothing happened, if that's what fits your limb size than together with the rotating method, it's a very accepted mod.

2012_07_19_13_33_38.jpg2012_07_19_13_58_19.jpgtk_nicky_01.jpg

Kneeling: It's ironic yes, you sacrifice your knee to protect your sniper plate instead of the other way around because your knee totally regenerates over time unlike your sniper plate :)

620689_10151091221168870_1265758076_o.jpg

Edited by Nicky

The function of a sniper plate and the actual use are surely different! If it were truly plasteel armor it wouldn't be glued on, and likely to pop off by kneeling on it :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow reply here

On 11/4/2012 at 1:23 AM, rezablad3 said:

Dude..thats crazy how you could do that. How much of the thighs and ankle did you have to trim? You got a picture of you standing up? Awesome looking armor by the way.....

I really didn't have to trim too much at all

Here's one of me standing

--------

They look pretty much normal when I'm standing

Cheers btw, this kit didn't start off looking so good

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I trimmed mine and I'm near 6'. I have a long torsoe and short upper legs. The shins are just fine. If you have to do it get a compas you know the geometry I need to draw a circle type. That way you keep the shape and don't end up with barrel legs. It's not for everybody I know turn them if you can but I had to turn them too much so cutting was the only option. I wear mine high and tight so most can't tell there's no return. Just try to keep the shape that's my best suggestion.

personally it's too much gap at the top jimmy.... but if the girls like it... then I guess it's up to personal taste.

LOL

It actually looks worse than it really is there, because of my gloves

But yeah, as long as the ladiez are happy, I'm not stressed