Narrowed it down to ATA vs AP ...

Hey chaps,

I've been doing a TON of research on these boards today for me and a friend, and after considering our build and our wallets we have come down to ATA vs AP. The ATA is a little cheaper, and i realize it doesn't come with decals or the helmet mic inserts (i may have missed something, but its not apparent for a newb like me!)

I have a few questions for you, if you would be kind enough to answer them!

1) What would you recommend?

2) Why?

3) I'm guessing ATA is a slightly lengthy build process (compared to AP) - hence the cost, would i be correct in that assumption?

I know AP offer a cut and a completed (put together) version, but me and my friend are both interested in making it a little bit of a project so am comparing the uncut version vs the ATA

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My only experience with ATA was one of his helmets and its hands down the finest helmet kit I've ever received. The hovis are supurb. The glossy ABS is just beautiful and customer service is second to none.

An Ata build is pretty much the same as an AP build in terms of process. Unless AP has fixed the thighs and shin halves from being mismatched lengths, that would take longer to build to make the halves look even in length if you want it to look right.

Ata does come with accurate mic tips (AP does not), way more accurate rubber brow and neck trim and more durable lens material. Ata is slightly yellow beige in color (screen accurate) than AP which is a cool white.

Personally, I prefer ATA.

Despite being recast, the ATA looks a lot closer to the armour origins to my eyes. Compare the shape of the thighs on an AP, ATA and original armour and you'll see what I mean.

If I had to chose between the two, ATA would be my choice because the moulds don't look like they've been tampered with unnecessarily.

I also prefer the ATA helmet. The AP and ATA helmets which have passed through my hands have been of similar (quite small) size but the ATA (to my eyes) just looked a lot more like the Stunt helmets on screen.

Edited by Rick330

AP also is a smooth cap n back helmet, which some prefer. You have to ask ATA for two right biceps and also matching forearms. AP's forearms are not quite as good as the dimples are softer IMHO.

Still, both good kits that will last a long time. Heck, I'm just happy that we're at the level of discussing such things as when this board started it was still an FX vs .RT vs. AP scenario.

I've got ATA and it rocks. I know a lot of people are really happy with their set, and I can't recommend it enough!

edit: also... the ATA bucket comes with everything you need except the decals! (Includes screws, mic tips, washers, etc!)

Edited by anphrax

It's really a personal decision I think. Any of the "approved" vendors are going to give you a good product. Best is if you can see an ATA and AP in person and make a choice that way. Local garrison?

I just got my ATA kit a few days ago. Absolutely love it. Do have to buy the decals for the helmet but they aren't too much. Really happy with the product. Plus the costumer service was great. That's to be expected as ATA is one of the approved vendors.

I LOVE my ATA kit and Supertrooper is a great guy to deal with! I have no experience with any other kits but I couldn't be happier with my purchase! AP looks great too, but for the price, ATA is really a great value! Highly recommended!

My build is also ATA, a little more trimming may be involved but the kit went together well. Only thing I would look at is your build, if you are very tall or a bigger build ATA or AP may not be the best kit for you. I'm 6'2" at 180lbs and did have to do some modification to have the backplate and kidney plate sit properly. Both are great kits and you will be happy with either. :)

Edited by Thalizar

A certain degree of mods and custom fitting will come with any kit you buy. Ap has long been noted toward the smaller framed trooper. A larger trooper like me ( 5'10" and 209 lbs.) would never fit into AP. Although I didn't need to shim anything, ATA seems to be very forgiving if one needs a little extra room. Mic tips will need to be painted and partially assembled, with ATA. I always thought that the AP helmet was a little easier to assemble. Just my $.02

Thanks for all the input into this thread!! I will place my order for the ATA kit today, as it seems there is little difference between the two but a rather large price gap, Thanks again!

Although these two posts confused me a little - perhaps someone could elaborate?

... You have to ask ATA for two right biceps and also matching forearms. ...

and

What do you all want decals with your helmet kits for? You're not all building ESB surely?

Edited by Tramposhay

I can answer the first one. This is from Gazmosis' build When you ask for two right biceps it'll look like this (minus the thumbprint mod):

----------

This is what you get when you don't order it that way. this is from my brown box pics (still a WIP):

------------

The lefts are curvier than the rights.

I purchased the Dave M decals from Trooperbay. They mimic hand painted ones that are requirements for EIB ANH stunt. They don't come with the kit because many folks paint them themselves.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Although these two posts confused me a little - perhaps someone could elaborate?

and

The original stormtrooper helmets (the ones from the first Star Wars movie) were hand-painted.

Not everyone is good enough at painting to paint the helmet. I would rather see hand painted style decals than a bad paint job.

Totally agree. I never liked painting in my life, so I would also prefer some good decals instead of trying to screw the whole thing myself. LOL

I hear you. I remember trying to paint model cars. If I attempted to do that to my helmet I would probably have a panic attack. I'll be using decals.

Helmet has been ordered from Mister ATA Works - there is a bit of a wait on the armor at the moment, but that'll give me time to get everything ready!! Thanks for everyone's recommendations and input into the thread.

Edited by Tramposhay