Help! My Mic Slides Off When Helmet Goes On!

I'm trying to find a solution for a problem with my microphone. It is an over the ear mic that came with my Aker/iComm.

When I put my helmet on, my ears get smushed down and the mic falls off. It's a big mess.

Would a balacava help with this, or is that primarily for long haired TKs?

Right now, the solution I have is to velcro the mic right into the helmet, but that makes removal of the helmet difficult because of the wire hanging out.

I do have the wireless transmitter I can put into the helmet, but that adds more weight and gear and I can't seem to find a comfortable spot for it.

Any thoughts from my fellow TKs?

A balaclava would help with that problem. Plus, balaclavas are screen-accurate.

Another potential solution is to use medical tape to literally tape your ear in place before your helmet goes on.

I've read a few other solutions that people have posted. One might work depending on your situation.

• hold the mic between your lips until the bucket is in place, then "ppft" it out and it'll be right where you need it
  • wear the mic inside the balaclava (mine comes up to my lip, can hold it in place, but I don't like the feel of the balaclava there myself)
  • attach mic to helmet and tape down all wires, have an attachable wire/end come out of the bucket instead of the mic having to come out - mic is permanent, wires can be moved around to go inside neck seal, attach to amp etc.
  • use a lavalier mic or throat mic you can clip to the top of your neck seal or somewhere

Good luck!

I had the same issue. I took the wire off the mic and mounted it with velcro inside the helmet. I added a coupler between the mic wire and the wire that runs to my system, that is attached to the inside of the chest armor, so it is easier to detach when I want to take my helmet off.

I had the same issue. I took the wire off the mic and mounted it with velcro inside the helmet. I added a coupler between the mic wire and the wire that runs to my system, that is attached to the inside of the chest armor, so it is easier to detach when I want to take my helmet off.

Can you post some pictures of this? this sounds like what I want to do.

Thanks for the suggestions. A friend in my Garrison helped me with some choices. He either suggested re-bending the mic headpiece wire so it was more conforming to the back of my head, or (the option we went with), I velcroed the headset into my bucket and I am using the Memorex wireless transmitter. What really helped with the transmitter was breaking it open and redistributing the components of the circuit and velcroing it into the helmet. That way it takes up less space.

Thanks. I jsut have to find sticker white duct tape to keep the wires down.

Sorry to say I do not know where the foam came from. The helemt came assenbled from RT-MOD.