Darth Aloha

HOWTO: Use Novus Plastic Polish 1,2, and 3 (ah ah ah I love counting!)

DSC_26831.jpg

Troopers,

I can't decide if I am going to let my armor weather or stay as shiny as possible. In the mean time while I waffle, I managed to nail my leg on a green picnic table and scuff up my shin with a big green scrape. I decided to order small bottles of Novus plastic polish to test it out.

It saddens me to admit that I am a terrible photographer. Even this stupid big fancy camera from work can't help me out. My plan was to take detailed photos of the dirt, grime and scratches on my shins. Well it turns out that taking pictures of big expanses of shiny white plastic is not easy. This means my "before" photos suck.

Here's the headline: Novus 1, 2, and 3 can take scratches out unless they're very very deep. Use a crapload of elbow greece at every step. Keep your polishing cloth saturated at all times.

You'll need a soft lint free cloth. An overly washed cotton cloth is preferable but if you can find a very thick soft paper towel, that may work too. I used an old newborn sized onsie with an animal print (the monkeys are really cute.)

The steps go something like this:

1. Clean with plastic with Novus #1 "Plastic Clean and Shine" - Wipe vigorously to clean as much of the crap off the plastic as possible. I used my thumb to really grind the cloth on some spots. Keep applying #1 to the cloth.
  2. Remove big stuff with Novus #3 "Heavy Scratch Remover" - This stuff is basically rubbing compound like you would use on your car. There is a grit to it and it actually removes plastic like liquid sandpaper. I am pretty sure if you used a slow moving buffing wheel on a dremel you could take some pretty deep scratches out. I just pressed really really hard and most of the scratches went away. I worked in patches swirling the cloth around in tight circles while applying pressure.
  3. Polish with Novus #2 "Fine Scratch Remover" - Buff buff buff and keep buffing with this stuff. Any dullness or wipe marks left from #3 will go away with the vigorous application of #2.
  4. Shine with Novus #1 "Plastic Clean and Shine" - Bring out the glare with #1. I didn't work this step too hard but I made sure I was thorough. Now pops and gleams.

For cleaning general grime #1 works really well. And if you're going to use #2 you should really follow it with #1 to get a better shine. #3 is the workhorse and should really only be used on heavy scratches.

Here are some photos:

Before: Picnic table scuff with another good scratch to the right of it:

DSC_2671.jpg

After: The surface green was removed with #1 and #3 removed even more of the deeper stuff. I think if I kept rubbing the entire scratch would be gone. The scratch you see on the right in the image above is totally gone now:

DSC_2693.jpg

Before: Scratches:

DSC_2668.jpg

Before: scratches:

DSC_2665.jpg

After: No more scratches (trust me)

DSC_2694.jpg

After: No more scratches.

DSC_2696.jpg

After:

DSC_2676.jpg

After:

DSC_2679.jpg

After:

DSC_2691.jpg

• Like 3

Oh, shiny! Keep i crisp and shiny as long as you can!

Ssssh I'm telling Guns!

those photos look fine to me?

good job of showing how simple and easy it can be.

I don't like some of the suggestions to use automotive products on abs plastic.

rust and yellowing are my main concerns, since most automotive products have

additives that can cause problems with unpainted surfaces.

I even resist using automotive products claiming to be for plastic.

this is a great example of how it always should be done!

those photos look fine to me?

good job of showing how simple and easy it can be.

I don't like some of the suggestions to use automotive products on abs plastic.

rust and yellowing are my main concerns, since most automotive products have

additives that can cause problems with unpainted surfaces.

I even resist using automotive products claiming to be for plastic.

this is a great example of how it always should be done!

I've been using T-cut on plastics for years Vern. Never had a single problem and it gives one hell of a shine.

Looking good! I picked up a set of Novus 1-2-3 8oz. off ebay for every cheap. I think it was a DVD/Gamestore.

I cleaned off my kit with rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) recently. It worked like a charm. :)

How'd it do with removing scratches?

That it obviously doesn't. Just dirt and black spots.

Works just fine on FX style armor. It's just plastic polish. The #2 came with my kit back in 2000.

When i was trimming my chest piece my razor slipped and dug in a ugly slice near the neck, my helmet hides it from view but i'm skeptical if the polish would get to deep down in the crevasse or something making it more noticeable

I've recently been cleaning my armor with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and I absolutely love it! Cleans scuffs and black marks like, well, magic. :)

Thanks for this little tutorial, Darth Aloha. I recently picked up a Novus polish kit, and was hoping to see that someone in FISD had used it with success. This was just what I was looking for. Time to get to polishing!

I have some streaks of super glue around the eye of my TK helmet. Before I screw things up any more, I'd like some opinions. Would it be best if I took some sand paper to rub the streaks out and then use Novus to buff it up? Will Novus help remove the glue itself? I'm a little bummer at my carelessness right now.

I also got some super glue finger print streaks on my green eye lense. Any suggestions on how I can clean the lense up?

wet sand using 1000 grit sandpaper then use novus polish to bring back shine, this also works well for deeper scratches

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 2

wet sand using 1000 grit sandpaper then use novus polish to bring back shine, this also works well for deeper scratches

Mark (AP)

Thanks. I'll give it a try!

Does this work on armor that is slightly yellowing?  We have a member looking to get his back to white, it's an FX kit, and before resorting to paint we figured we'd explore some other options.  I can't be 100% sure but I thought someone said this would help but can't remember when or where I heard it hahaha!