Emergency advice (time is short)! Is this an ATA kit?

HeloTrooper

Greets!

I know my timing is terrible, but can anyone out there confirm that this kit is in fact an ATA (can't tell if it's HIPS or ABS... kinda looks like HIPS, and the MINIMAL description mentions styrene)?

Item number: 160783879611 ATA Stormtrooper Armor TE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160783879611?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

post-15504-0-37440200-1335098571.jpg

post-15504-0-79806000-1335098584.jpg

post-15504-0-90391900-1335098605.jpg

post-15504-0-85223300-1335098621.jpg

The description:

"I BOUGHT THIS KIT TO DO A SANDTROOPER AND JUST RAN OUT OF TIME THIS IS A GREAT KIT AND IS ALMOST TOGETHER IT NEEDS VELCRO FOR BODY PARTS AND HELMET PUT TOGETHER IT HAS NOT BEEN FITTED FOR ME SO IT CAN STILL FIT ANYONE FROM 5"5 TO 6"4 ITS GREAT SUIT GREAT BIDDING AND IT TE ARMOR made by affordable trooper armor

For auction is a set of Stormtrooper armor cast from a Screen Worn suit. It has been vacuum-formed in Styrene and is screen accurate with movie linage. The armor and helmet for sale comes MOSTLY assembled and is just the vacuumed formed pieces. The armor and helmet will need to be trimmed, sanded, assembled and painted. The armor is 60g 1.57mm thick, which is the same thickness as the original suits of armor. The kit also Helmet Ears (Not Pictured) and also includes extra plastic for creating ANH Stormtrooper strips. te with movie linage. The armor and helmet for sale comes MOSTLY assembled and is just the vacuumed formed pieces. The armor and helmet will need to be trimmed, sanded, assembled and painted. The armor is 60g 1.57mm thick, which is the same thickness as the original suits of armor."

Considering this for a TD build...

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

- Andy

Dune Sea Garrison

I saw this and I have my doubts because, having just finished and ATA kit an helping another with their's, ATA does NOT come with inner drop boxes and he includes two sets of ears. Beofre you buy, demand to see a pic of the front of the dome of the helmet. This might be "maker of things" armor which is good for nothing but display. "MOT" uses recast TE2 armor which as the flaws that need to be repaired in the front of the cap-n-back or dome. he folds at the sides of the cheek tubes on the faceplate are raising flags with me. Also, I don't see the control panel for the TD. This is another thing that will tell you if it's ATA or not. MOT uses cut out centers of the ears put in a line so the finished product is not a continuous line of evenly spaced ridges. There are gaps every 4 ridges just like ear bumps put together in a row.

Edited by gazmosis

Hi Andy, That is not an ATA kit at all. The seller on Ebay is just trying to use (drop names) hoping people will not look into it and bid. SuperTrooper (ATA) has been shown this and confirmed that it is not linked to his product.

ATA use to make his out of HIPS never just Styrene, Now ABS..... Styrene is not durable and 99.9% of recasters use it because of the cheap cost of the material, not for quality. Plus the Styrene will need painting to get it correct color/finish (lot of work and time) Also if the Styrene is thin, the chemicals in paint can warp and sometimes eat through it.

My advice Don't bid.

One more thing. I see that you are using ''TK231" I looked up that 501st # and it is already taken by a Legion member in Florida. I hate to tell you but 501st numbers are reserved for Legion members only. You will have to change it to some other than a TK#. Sorry.

Tom -

Thank you for the info, and for pointing out my incorrect use of the tk ID#. When I first registered, in my ignorance I registered under the "231" - my 501st ID is 5224. I will get on to changing that.

By the way, you all saved me from a bad bid - thanks!

- Andy

Hi Andy I am glad that my info helps you. I don't want to see anyone spend their hard earned money for something that is not going to be good. Especially in this economy.

As for your TK# its' all good.

I got you all fixed up. with your TK# and 501st status/access on here (you will see it in your avatar) and you will have access to a couple more areas of the site.. If you don't see a difference, just click the F5 button to clear out your cache.

Take care man!

It's too bad there isn't a way to chase these losers off ebay, or at least chase down their posts so they remove them promptly before people waste their money.

Be glad you posted the pics and asked questions about it first. To many people fall for the cheap recast or horribly inaccurate and over priced kits out there. This kit would not stand up to the first troop and would tear and rip before the day was over.

Hey guys. I know the trooper that was selling that armor. He is very new to trooping (had his first one last weekend). I am sure he wasn't trying to directly deceive anyone.

Who made the armor then? From what we can tell it is not the normal linage suits (ATA, TE, TE2, Cap, AP, etc...) It did say "made by ATA", in the action, which is miss-leading.