RogueTrooper

Where, What and Whom To Avoid When Buying

On 3/14/2018 at 10:45 AM, ParkerLewisCL said:

I'm buying a suit and was wondering what material was recommended, abs or pvc?

ABS is the way to go.  Durable, easy to trim, lighter weight, keeps its shine, etc.  

4 hours ago, sharkbait said:

I would advise to always be little leery of "501st Approved" because nothing is 501st approved out of the box, as approved not only the details and accuracy, but that it fits you as the individual wearer.  Now if they have some caveat about "eligible for 501st," or "approvable by 501st," or the like, then you're in safer territory.  I've just personally seen too many listing and sites with "501st Approved armor!" and it is no where near basic, let alone EIB or Centurion. 

This is not to say there aren't vetted armor makers that indicate 501st approved or similar language- as mentioned above, RS Props commissions are quite good and I have seen several that were approved out of the box.  They all have needed tweaking later to really be the best fit, as armor is really tough to fit with just measurements and not the person physically there.  

To me- if they're not on the vetted list here on Whitearmor, then stay away, it's not worth the chance for the money we shell out for these things.  

As far as Scouts go, I'd recommend Studio Creations or Walt's Trooper Factory (WTF)- Facebook and studiocreations.com.  I have a WTF Shadow Scout and it's great, and I was originally going to go with Studio Creations until I found a deal on a WTF kit someone was offloading.  But definitely check out http://www.501stpathfinders.com/ for Scout details and assistance.  (or https://specops501st.com/ if you're interested in the Shadow Scout).  

Thank you. They are based over seas and the cost is $850 shipped to the states. I’ve seen people get burned and I’m not saying that I would from them, that’s why I posted up on here first. If you don’t mind me asking, how much was your armor?

15 hours ago, Shdo69 said:

Thank you. They are based over seas and the cost is $850 shipped to the states. I’ve seen people get burned and I’m not saying that I would from them, that’s why I posted up on here first. If you don’t mind me asking, how much was your armor?

I paid about $700 shipped for my AM 2.0 kit, about four years ago (I want to say it was $650 for the kit and $30 - $50 for shipping, US to US).  It included all hard parts (including parts for ANH, ESB and Sandies), as is typical for most.  (I think RS commissions come with just about everything).  As to the cost of soft parts...  I didn't keep great records of it, because I just lumped it all together with tools, supplies and electronics; and I've used most of the supplies and tools over and over again for other builds and stuff around the house.  

I paid $1200 or so for an FX kit I got on Ebay from costumejunkie which included an assembled helmet.  Oh wait, that was 2005!

Sorry, couldn't resist a trip down memory lane. It's amazing how much better yet less expensive we have it these days than in the past.

I had no idea Intergalactic Supply was recasting.  He has posted numerous videos and pics of his sculpt and build work before casting, on FB.  Is this specifically TK/TD armor or is it other Star Wars armor?  I know he offers TI, IG, IN, and Rebel helmets.

Contacted the admins of about 10 FB pages to get the word out

• Like 2