Where, What and Whom To Avoid When Buying

2 minutes ago, Kellataira said:

Is there a list of mods needed for the Jedi Robes armor? I had no idea they weren't 501st approved.

Ultimately it's your GML (garrison membership liaison) who will approve or deny your costume so I would check with him/her.

Using the "search" function and there are some older threads in regards to Jedirobe, you would have to check with current CRL requirements as there have been updates over the last few years.

• 3 months later...

Actually recasting is meant to be simply that, making a cast of a set of molds.

Authorized recasting: you get permission to recast something.
Unauthorized recasting: you did not get permission to recast something.

In general use though when we cite someone as a "recaster", we mean the latter.

The first screen derived suits were recast from an old ROTJ tour suit and cleaned up to be like ANH, so it's not correct to say it's a direct recast.  These are suits that were bought by someone.

In theory you are right LFL could issue C&Ds anytime to anyone making stormtrooper armor without a license, however they do not.  Doing so would kill the 501st Legion and many other Star Wars costuming groups.  I mean, it's not just TK armor, is it?

However LFL recognizes the marketing and PR appeal of having Star Wars costuming clubs, and so the gentleman's agreement from back in the 90's was that as long as we make no profit from what we do, they essentially turn a blind eye.

If you want to dicuss this topic futher, please read through and if still unsure create a new post at Recasting Discussion - 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment (whitearmor.net) as otherwise this is off-topic for this thread.

• Like 2

Am 20.2.2023 um 19:08 schrieb Daetrin:

--SWSSSH--

In theory you are right LFL could issue C&Ds anytime to anyone making stormtrooper armor without a license, however they do not.  Doing so would kill the 501st Legion and many other Star Wars costuming groups.  I mean, it's not just TK armor, is it?
--SWSSSH--

Except in the UK since they messed something up back then. that country is the safe haven for manufacturing due to the messup copyright-wise. (see the well known shepperton case that got hammered in by the highest UK court)

• 2 weeks later...

As Glen said, don't go near it.  Not just because there are dozens of issues with it's terrible details, but also the fact that it is way (and I mean WAY) overpriced.  There are lots of "vetted" sellers listed in the thread he gave you a link to that can supply a fantastic kit for less money.  You can also find kits on ebay etc. where you can pick up a set for a few hundred dollars, but you get what you pay for.  Cheap re-cast garbage.

Other advantages to purchasing from one of our "tried and true" sellers is that you know you are getting not just quality, but great customer service.
Whoever you decide on, know that we are here for you every step of the way, from helping you find a kit to the build and beyond, so never be shy about asking questions.  It's what we do here!

I had someone submit this costume for approval a few months ago. There’s definitely enough work to make it approvable it’s almost better to just go buy from a new vendor. Unfortunately they don’t offer returns or refunds, so I highly recommend buyer beware with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/16/2012 at 5:48 AM, RogueTrooper said:

Unscrupulous Individuals and Websites to avoid:

RubberBlastersEtc (Facebook and Etsy) - Owner banned for severe criminal offenses

Rubber Blasters is specifically mentioned at the top of this thread as an individual to avoid.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just after some advice am wondering if anyone has had luck getting in contact with daves darkside depot recently? I placed an order a fair while ago and havnt heard anything back ? 

Dave is doing well. He had a huge wave of orders he’s been working on getting out. A few of us have our or parts of ours and he’s working to still finish things.

If you have anything commissioned as a build from him it will take a bit longer for him to put together and get out, not to mention if he needs to source any parts from other vendors too.

I’m still waiting on my helmet build to be finished, but I don’t think there’s anything to worry about and he will come through with your armor in due time.

Just after some advice am wondering if anyone has had luck getting in contact with daves darkside depot recently? I placed an order a fair while ago and havnt heard anything back ? 

Was your armor a full commission build or just a kit out of curiousity?

On 3/29/2023 at 2:19 PM, FN1313 said:

Was your armor a full commission build or just a kit out of curiousity?

I got a commission build. Made the last payment (AUD to USD killed me) and the 2 big brown boxes should be on their way soon.

Edited by arson14
  • Like 1

I got a commission build. Made the last payment (AUD to USD killed me) and the 2 big brown boxes should be on their way soon.

Great to hear it. Yeah I kind of figured he’d be a bit longer for a commission build, considering I’m not even done building my kit from him and he’s doing that full time on many.

On 4/17/2012 at 12:31 AM, CiscoKid said:

So, Jedi-Robe Stormtrooper Armor is a good starting point? Their site looks better than most I've seen but still makes me leery. I know that no matter what I will still need to invest time and more money when i finally buy armor. Just don't want to waste $$ if the quality isn't a good place to start. Any advice is welcome!

Thanks.

I bought from jedi robe, big mistake! ive made many changes, inc, fitment, your better of making one from scatch and maybe from RS Props

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2023 at 1:12 PM, revlimiter said:

Rubber Blasters is specifically mentioned at the top of this thread as an individual to avoid.

Was there a thread somewhere the peasants can follow? There are accusations being leveled about them being HyperfirmFx rebranded. 

37 minutes ago, Dekard said:

Was there a thread somewhere the peasants can follow? There are accusations being leveled about them being HyperfirmFx rebranded. 

Given the nature of the issues and details involved: no.

I was one of the staff who investigated and I can only say to you I was as through as I could be and it was corroborated by other staff. We are confident in our decision and stand by it. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Dekard said:

Me again. The information I have shared (without "naming-and-shaming" specific details) has been confirmed both by Legion staff, and by former associates of his. These are not accusations, these are facts and much of it is public record. I have been doing my best to post on all Detachment forums and relevant Facebook groups lately to get the word out, after seeing an upsetting number of 501st and even members of my own Garrison leaving positive reviews on his Etsy page. We definitely do not want to support this individual. Anyone familiar with what happened with Hyperfirm is aware exactly why.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 5

Just to chime in, I am another staff member in full support of Chris' and Justin's opinion in this matter.  There will never be a thread posted on the FISD about the nature of this situation.  However, if anyone does some digging of their own and/or reaches out to legion members then maybe you will be able to find the information you are looking for. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2023 at 5:35 AM, Agewills67 said:

I bought from jedi robe, big mistake! ive made many changes, inc, fitment, your better of making one from scatch and maybe from RS Props

Oh man!  I just gave them money yesturday and learned about this forum this morning! 

6 hours ago, Dale T said:

Oh man!  I just gave them money yesturday and learned about this forum this morning! 

Some older threads in regards to Jedi Robe may be of interest to you.

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Some older threads in regards to Jedi Robe may be of interest to you.

Yes, thank you I did and my stomach sank!  What I found most amazing is not that they got negative feedback.  But they have been getting negative feedback for at least the last 11 years!  And nothing was positive.  Fortunately I spoke to Dave at Dave’s Darkside Depot and am going that route.  I requested a refund from the other place.  

• Like 2

Yes, thank you I did and my stomach sank!  What I found most amazing is not that they got negative feedback.  But they have been getting negative feedback for at least the last 11 years!  And nothing was positive.  Fortunately I spoke to Dave at Dave’s Darkside Depot and am going that route.  I requested a refund from the other place.  

Unfortunately many of these sales sites are front and centre when doing a browser search for a stormtrooper costume, although it's not as prevalent these days with the amount of the vetted sellers on Facebook and Etsy.

Hopefully you can obtain the refund, good luck and hope to see some pics from you soon with your shinny new DDD armor :D 

What’s worse is there’s a bunch of Social Media influencers who are going and buying stormtrooper costumes from places like Jedi robe and then posting all their videos with 501st hashtags etc. This is then leading astray people to buy these costumes thinking that the posters are 501st members and that their costume is going to be approved too.

I actually commented on one the other day to just indicate whoever was interested “buyer beware” and “research before you buy” only to have everyone and their dog on the internet go on straight hate mail and crap for me to the point I just deleted my comments and had to say “Oh well, guess everyone can just learn the hard way.”

Social media influencers doing what they do best…

DDD armor is fantastic, that’s what mine is. He may have some slow times, but the wait will definitely turn up a fantastic kit!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Unfortunately many of these sales sites are front and centre when doing a browser search for a stormtrooper costume, although it's not as prevalent these days with the amount of the vetted sellers on Facebook and Etsy.

Hopefully you can obtain the refund, good luck and hope to see some pics from you soon with your shinny new DDD armor :D 

I will be honest.  I was a little skeptical, at first, when I saw people using FB as their storefronts.  Or just using Etsy.  To me, it just didn't seem as legitimate as having a web presence with a traditional website.  But clearly, I was wrong.  And I was even more surprised when Dave from DDD called and spent 30+ mins on the phone telling me about everything.  I ordered my Audio System w/ Voice Modulation yesterday from UKSWrath and was pleasantly surprised that it had already shipped out this morning.  I am starting to see commonalities with the people involved in Star Wars costuming.  Everyone is willing to help and support each other and everyone wants to see others succeed.  Maybe that is me being naive as a new person to this.  However, it's nice to see.  From the folks on the forums, suppliers to my local GML.  Good stuff and excited to get more involved.  

• Like 2