Where, What and Whom To Avoid When Buying

23 minutes ago, kristin said:

Is there a list of reputable sellers of ready made approved armor for those of use who don't have access to tools for building our own? 

Or do those just not exist?

Thx.

Not specifically but if you read through the first page of vendors some mention who supplies commission suits

You may also be able to reach out to your local garrison, some members will build armor for others at a price. You can find a lists of garrisons here https://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2012 at 7:31 PM, CiscoKid said:

So, Jedi-Robe Stormtrooper Armor is a good starting point? Their site looks better than most I've seen but still makes me leery. I know that no matter what I will still need to invest time and more money when i finally buy armor. Just don't want to waste $$ if the quality isn't a good place to start. Any advice is welcome!

Thanks.

So, I wish I would have seen this before I bought my armor from Jedi-Robe / The Stormtrooper Store. While the armor looks "OK", the professional strapping is just velcro strips, which makes it impossible to get suited up by yourself. Also my helmet has a very noticeable defect at the bottom of the frown. The Thermal Detonator is wrong! Nowhere else have I seen one with a button sticking up and velcro attachment to belt!  I have reached out to the company but have not heard back yet.

I spent more than $1600 on this set of armor and I don't even want to wear it now. What a waste of money. I will update if I hear back from them, but I doubt I will. I  hope this helps you in your quest where to buy armor (or where NOT to buy). 

1 hour ago, thx4824 said:

So, I wish I would have seen this before I bought my armor from Jedi-Robe / The Stormtrooper Store. While the armor looks "OK", the professional strapping is just velcro strips, which makes it impossible to get suited up by yourself. Also my helmet has a very noticeable defect at the bottom of the frown. The Thermal Detonator is wrong! Nowhere else have I seen one with a button sticking up and velcro attachment to belt!  I have reached out to the company but have not heard back yet.

I spent more than $1600 on this set of armor and I don't even want to wear it now. What a waste of money. I will update if I hear back from them, but I doubt I will. I  hope this helps you in your quest where to buy armor (or where NOT to buy). 

Sorry to hear this, it does happen unfortunately, not everyone finds the 501st initially or FISD and miss out on this type of information. Good luck hearing something from the supplier.

On 10/4/2021 at 5:44 PM, kristin said:

Is there a list of reputable sellers of ready made approved armor for those of use who don't have access to tools for building our own? 

Or do those just not exist?

Thx.

Armor really should be fitted TO you, maybe unless you are the perfect 'standard size', and even then. They are NOT one-size-fits-all, or even most, so very few reputable vendors offer premade/ready-to-wear armor, and the trend is towards building yourself or working closely with a vendor on a commission. Since fitting is an important step, the best course of action is to find someone local to you to help mentor, or you may still end up with an ill-fitting suit, even with a commission, and it's a somewhat expensive costume to risk it on. If you really want to be a stormtrooper, and look good, it's worth investing in the tools and skills to build your own, imo.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Greyrider1967 said:

So who is the BEST, most reputable vendor to buy a kit from since I would like to put it together myself to ensure a proper fit.  Thank you

All of the vendors on here are vetted and trusted.

This list gives an overview of their armors, and the contact information to reach out to them. Some of them produce larger armor, and others produce smaller armor, so you should be able to find one that fits you.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Nico19714 said:

I have an armor from stormtrooper store, and consider it of very good quality, the service was excellent, during the process of sale and after sale as well, I only had to make two minor modifications, the thermo detonator I had to replace the attach system changing it by a metal support as per the rules of the legion 501st, and the other modification was to place two anchor straps on each side of the torso for a good fit to the abdomen and back. I think this company was a good option, even, I spoke by phone directly with the owner company to clarify my doubts.

Hello there Nicolas.  So you are saying that you have been approved with armor from Jedi Robe with only those two modifications?

• 1 month later...

Dave is a great guy with great service. He offers AM kits which are generally geared toward the trooper with more girth. However it can be sized down to a more slender trooper. You can’t go wrong if this is what your looking for. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mmstevens said:

Hello, first time poster. Dave’s Darkside Depot… are his products approvable?

Hello and welcome to the forum and Happy New Year, Dave's Darkside Depot (originally known as AM) is on our vetted sellers list but as Steve said it suits the larger trooper, height and width.

Here's a great thread full of helpful info to get you on your way 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mmstevens said:

Hello, first time poster. Dave’s Darkside Depot… are his products approvable?

Absolutely!  As Steve mentioned Dave's armor is generally geared for larger troopers but I am 5'10/155 lbs. and I trimmed it down to fit my frame.  No yellowing or cracks in 6 years and 50+ troops.  Plus, Dave is a great guy to deal with!

Regarding the scammers known as "Head Shot Props"

They seem to be defunct now. (because their scamming became public knowledge, no doubt) 

Haven't seen any activity on their socials for about a year.

Being who they are though, I expect they will return (or are working) under a new alias. I'm told it's not the first time they've changed their name to avoid their bad reviews.

Stay safe and Good luck out there!

Hi there, 

long time no post...just having a look at the TK boots out there, I’ve looked on the forum and can’t find a recent conversation of where to get 501st approved white boots (I don’t want to paint my own...I don’t want to deal with the flaking paint), can someone please point me in the right direction? :) 

2 hours ago, Generalsneers said:

Hi there, 

long time no post...just having a look at the TK boots out there, I’ve looked on the forum and can’t find a recent conversation of where to get 501st approved white boots (I don’t want to paint my own...I don’t want to deal with the flaking paint), can someone please point me in the right direction? :) 

Hi,

Try looking at Imperial Boots on line. They are i believe white leather, not the black painted white kind. They're website only opens for 1 week each month for orders then closes until the following month. They are a reputable  vendor.

6 hours ago, Generalsneers said:

Hi there, 

You could also try Crowprops https://crowprops.bigcartel.com/product/jhodpur-tk-white-short-boots

8 minutes ago, Symonsays said:

Hey can anyone verify if this one is a legit one?

https://www.stormtrooper-costumes.com/

I really wanna go into star wars cosplay but i wanna know for sure if its good quality and not a recaster before i buy it

Also known as Jedi Robe, run like the wind

We advise looking through our vetted sellers list 

15 hours ago, Symonsays said:

Hey can anyone verify if this one is a legit one?

https://www.stormtrooper-costumes.com/

I really wanna go into star wars cosplay but i wanna know for sure if its good quality and not a recaster before i buy it

As Glen said, don't go near it.  Not just because there are dozens of issues with it's terrible details, but also the fact that it is way (and I mean WAY) overpriced.  There are lots of "vetted" sellers listed in the thread he gave you a link to that can supply a fantastic kit for less money.  You can also find kits on ebay etc. where you can pick up a set for a few hundred dollars, but you get what you pay for.  Cheap re-cast garbage.

Other advantages to purchasing from one of our "tried and true" sellers is that you know you are getting not just quality, but great customer service.

Whoever you decide on, know that we are here for you every step of the way, from helping you find a kit to the build and beyond, so never be shy about asking questions.  It's what we do here!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, John Stein said:

Hi there ,

what does AP mean? Sorry I’m new to these short word motives.

Hey John, you'll find that the Search function may also be very valuable for common questions as you get started.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Stein said:

Hi there ,

what does AP mean? Sorry I’m new to these short word motives.

Authenticprops (AP

info on armor makers in this thread