Where, What and Whom To Avoid When Buying

Hello I am thinking about getting a 3d file for printing my armer and helmet. But wanting to make sure that the file at least looks like it would pass 501st standard. I now that my sanding and painting and fixing after I print it will need to be good to. But don't want to start out bad.

This is what I'm looking at

https://galacticarmory.net/collections/3d-files/products/phase-2-clone-trooper-armor-3d-print-files

Might be well worth your while heading on over to the Clone trooper detachment if it is a clone you wish to build :)

https://501stclonetroopers.com/forum/index.php?/login/

• 3 months later...

Like everyone else that's new, I'm drowning in a sea of do's and don'ts, and an overload of advice. 

I think I'm gonna go with RS Propmasters strictly on reputation, but I have questions for those that have gone before me.

1. What's the practical difference between ABS and PVC in this application?  Which is preferable?
2. When ordering, 'strapping pack' is optional.  What is that, straps to hold the suit together?

3. Full commission or self build... since it arrives in parts and pieces, how much work is really involved in finishing a self-build kit to the commisson level?

4. Self-build doesn't include blaster or boots.   What else is missing that I'll need?

5. I'm looking at the ANH blaster.  RS is out of stock on all three blaster styles.  Is that something I can source more locally?  (I'm in Nevada)
Thanks for your help and advice!

1 hour ago, FTL900 said:

Like everyone else that's new, I'm drowning in a sea of do's and don'ts, and an overload of advice. 

I think I'm gonna go with RS Propmasters strictly on reputation, but I have questions for those that have gone before me.

1. What's the practical difference between ABS and PVC in this application?  Which is preferable? There is a thread here with info https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23424-abs-or-pvc/#:~:text=The 1.5mm ABS is,time and is ULTRA white.
2. When ordering, 'strapping pack' is optional.  What is that, straps to hold the suit together? Correct

3. Full commission or self build... since it arrives in parts and pieces, how much work is really involved in finishing a self-build kit to the commisson level? I would advise to have a look at some of the RS build threads (or in fact any armor builds). If you can build a plastic model kit you can build armor  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

4. Self-build doesn't include blaster or boots.   What else is missing that I'll need? From their website "This kit contains all the plastic formed components, plus matching plastic cover/joining strips. Also included are all the components to complete the thermal detonator including the tube and metal mounting clips." Strapping, gloves, glue, material belt, paint, holster, boots, blaster, padding for helmet, neck seal, a great list of soft parts here https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/47307-list-of-soft-parts-for-your-ot-tk-build/

5. I'm looking at the ANH blaster.  RS is out of stock on all three blaster styles.  Is that something I can source more locally?  (I'm in Nevada)
Thanks for your help and advice! I don't know what may be available in Nevada, you may want to check in with your local garrison, you can find a list of them here https://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php

• Like 1

An RS full commission build will include a blaster , basically it's a full stormtrooper costume in one box , built to measurements supplied by yourself . It's a great one stop entry into the world of Star Wars . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Thanks, that helps a lot.   My teen years were full of building plastic model kits, so I think I'll be fine with that.  Plus I already have a heat gun, dremel, and other things for modding motorcycles.  Kit ordered!

1. What's the practical difference between ABS and PVC in this application?  Which is preferable? There is a thread here with info https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23424-abs-or-pvc/#:~:text=The 1.5mm ABS is,time and is ULTRA white.
2. When ordering, 'strapping pack' is optional.  What is that, straps to hold the suit together? Correct

3. Full commission or self build... since it arrives in parts and pieces, how much work is really involved in finishing a self-build kit to the commisson level? I would advise to have a look at some of the RS build threads (or in fact any armor builds). If you can build a plastic model kit you can build armor  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

4. Self-build doesn't include blaster or boots.   What else is missing that I'll need? From their website "This kit contains all the plastic formed components, plus matching plastic cover/joining strips. Also included are all the components to complete the thermal detonator including the tube and metal mounting clips." Strapping, gloves, glue, material belt, paint, holster, boots, blaster, padding for helmet, neck seal, a great list of soft parts here https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/47307-list-of-soft-parts-for-your-ot-tk-build/

Thanks for your help and advice! I don't know what may be available in Nevada, you may want to check in with your local garrison, you can find a list of them here https://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php

Edited by FTL900

53 minutes ago, FTL900 said:

Plus I already have a heat gun, dremel, and other things for modding motorcycles.  Kit ordered!

Sounds like you will be good to go then.

Just on the heat gun, ABS plastic is a funny thing, it can go from slightly bending to molten mess within a blink of an eye, I do suggest if you do need to use one then get lots of practice with scrap pieces of off cuts. Mainly try hot water bath as the heat is not as intense ;) 

1 minute ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Sounds like you will be good to go then.

Just on the heat gun, ABS plastic is a funny thing, it can go from slightly bending to molten mess within a blink of an eye, I do suggest if you do need to use one then get lots of practice with scrap pieces of off cuts. Mainly try hot water bath as the heat is not as intense ;) 

That's good advice.  I wasn't thinking of using it in any particular application, just that i have one.  
Also, speaking of trying things on scraps, I've been using a product for years to glue ABS plastic motorcycle parts back together... and it typically comes out as strong as the ABS.    It used to be available in Ace Hardware, but now they carry JB Weld brand and it's total crap.   
Amazon still carries this Devcon brand.  It's about $8.

942743__76409.1556332421.500.500.jpg

6 minutes ago, FTL900 said:

That's good advice.  I wasn't thinking of using it in any particular application, just that i have one.  
Also, speaking of trying things on scraps, I've been using a product for years to glue ABS plastic motorcycle parts back together... and it typically comes out as strong as the ABS.    It used to be available in Ace Hardware, but now they carry JB Weld brand and it's total crap.   

Most people use E6000 or CA glue. E6000 is a little flexible, and you can remove it if you made a mistake. It's downside is it takes longer to dry. CA glue is used because it's fast and strong, but is less flexible and once it's on its not coming off.

17 minutes ago, FTL900 said:

I've used Devcon and JB Weld on my first order armor as some of that needed to have no flex but with original trilogy costumes I use E6000, although it takes time to dry (at least 24 hours) you have the ability of it flexing and it is easily removable, it's almost like a clear rubber.

Some great other info for first time builders here 

If you want authenticity then you should use a liquid solvent cement. It’s a water like substance. You clamp the two parts together then apply the liquid in an needle applicator bottle to the join. It will seep in a capillary action and weld the two parts together. 
you just have to be careful not to drip it across the plastic or you’ll be sanding and polishing. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, just1jd said:

I'm starting a captain phasma build and i need to either find a seller or build my own elbow and shoulder ribbed areas. because her armour is different than regular first order troopers in that way.  any stores that sell it or ways to make it?

You could also check out some of the Phasma builds, many have vendor information in them

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/188-captain-phasma-tfa-and-tlj/

This may also be of help

• 2 months later...
vor 2 Stunden schrieb Nicnac628:

So for someone like me who is NOT a DIY guy would you say purchasing a ready to wear from OriginalStormtrooper.com or rspropmasters.com would be more Ideal?

Hi Nick, and welcome to the FISD :-)

I was in your place a year ago and I just want to say that building your own armor is a ton of fun and if you purchase a ready to wear kit you will miss out on this. ANYONE can build a stormtrooper if they want to. This forum is stuffed with tons of helpful tutorials, and should you decide to start a build thread you are like 99% guaranted to get a qualified response within 24h from one of our staff members on any questions  you might have.

Know that building a stormtrooper yourself can't be done in 1 weekend or 2. It will take weeks if not months, but it will be very rewarding. So the question weather one builds their own kit or purchases a finished one should not be answered by what you think you can do but rather it's about how much time you can/are willing to invest in such a project. :)

With that being said, RS propmasters are on the vetted makers list which means they make great armor and should you buy anything from them I am sure you will be pleased with the quality of their armor.

I have never heard of OriginalStormtrooper.com, but I'm sure someone else has.

Edited by Yacorp

Although there are some inaccuracy's with SDS they can be upgraded and reworked to gain approval (even for L3) ;)  But RS is ready to go right out of the box

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 1:33 PM, Yacorp said:

Hi Nick, and welcome to the FISD :-)

I was in your place a year ago and I just want to say that building your own armor is a ton of fun and if you purchase a ready to wear kit you will miss out on this. ANYONE can build a stormtrooper if they want to. This forum is stuffed with tons of helpful tutorials, and should you decide to start a build thread you are like 99% guaranted to get a qualified response within 24h from one of our staff members on any questions  you might have.

Know that building a stormtrooper yourself can't be done in 1 weekend or 2. It will take weeks if not months, but it will be very rewarding. So the question weather one builds their own kit or purchases a finished one should not be answered by what you think you can do but rather it's about how much time you can/are willing to invest in such a project. :)

With that being said, RS propmasters are on the vetted makers list which means they make great armor and should you buy anything from them I am sure you will be pleased with the quality of their armor.

I have never heard of OriginalStormtrooper.com, but I'm sure someone else has.

What about 

https://www.jedirobeamerica.com/

As Mark has said Nick, Jedi Robe should be a no go.  They are recasters and their sets are very inaccurate which would require a ton of work to gain 501st approval.  You would be spending a lot of money and time on a Jedi Robe.  Out of the suits you have mentioned RS Props would be the best option.  Or check out the vetted armor list and contact a few of the vendors.  Some of them offer built suits as well.  They just don't have the websites that you are looking at so far.

On 4/7/2021 at 3:55 PM, starsaber25 said:

As Mark has said Nick, Jedi Robe should be a no go.  They are recasters and their sets are very inaccurate which would require a ton of work to gain 501st approval.  You would be spending a lot of money and time on a Jedi Robe.  Out of the suits you have mentioned RS Props would be the best option.  Or check out the vetted armor list and contact a few of the vendors.  Some of them offer built suits as well.  They just don't have the websites that you are looking at so far.

9 minutes ago, Nicnac628 said:

I noticed that there's a US Called Anovos that does Star wars costumes. Would you recommend them aswell?

Plus would anyone recommend the Hasbro Black Series Helmets 

Anovos are no longer supplying Star Wars costumes due to the license being taken away by Disney. Non supply of orders from over 4 years ago.

You will find that many of the black series helmets will not meet 501st legion costume approval, check out the CRL's for costume requirements https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

You can find the vetted sellers list here

• Like 2