Where, What and Whom To Avoid When Buying

On 3/14/2018 at 10:45 AM, ParkerLewisCL said:

I'm buying a suit and was wondering what material was recommended, abs or pvc?

ABS is the way to go.  Durable, easy to trim, lighter weight, keeps its shine, etc.  

4 hours ago, sharkbait said:

I would advise to always be little leery of "501st Approved" because nothing is 501st approved out of the box, as approved not only the details and accuracy, but that it fits you as the individual wearer.  Now if they have some caveat about "eligible for 501st," or "approvable by 501st," or the like, then you're in safer territory.  I've just personally seen too many listing and sites with "501st Approved armor!" and it is no where near basic, let alone EIB or Centurion. 

This is not to say there aren't vetted armor makers that indicate 501st approved or similar language- as mentioned above, RS Props commissions are quite good and I have seen several that were approved out of the box.  They all have needed tweaking later to really be the best fit, as armor is really tough to fit with just measurements and not the person physically there.  

To me- if they're not on the vetted list here on Whitearmor, then stay away, it's not worth the chance for the money we shell out for these things.  

As far as Scouts go, I'd recommend Studio Creations or Walt's Trooper Factory (WTF)- Facebook and studiocreations.com.  I have a WTF Shadow Scout and it's great, and I was originally going to go with Studio Creations until I found a deal on a WTF kit someone was offloading.  But definitely check out http://www.501stpathfinders.com/ for Scout details and assistance.  (or https://specops501st.com/ if you're interested in the Shadow Scout).  

Thank you. They are based over seas and the cost is $850 shipped to the states. I’ve seen people get burned and I’m not saying that I would from them, that’s why I posted up on here first. If you don’t mind me asking, how much was your armor?

15 hours ago, Shdo69 said:

Thank you. They are based over seas and the cost is $850 shipped to the states. I’ve seen people get burned and I’m not saying that I would from them, that’s why I posted up on here first. If you don’t mind me asking, how much was your armor?

I paid about $700 shipped for my AM 2.0 kit, about four years ago (I want to say it was $650 for the kit and $30 - $50 for shipping, US to US).  It included all hard parts (including parts for ANH, ESB and Sandies), as is typical for most.  (I think RS commissions come with just about everything).  As to the cost of soft parts...  I didn't keep great records of it, because I just lumped it all together with tools, supplies and electronics; and I've used most of the supplies and tools over and over again for other builds and stuff around the house.  

I paid $1200 or so for an FX kit I got on Ebay from costumejunkie which included an assembled helmet.  Oh wait, that was 2005!

Sorry, couldn't resist a trip down memory lane. It's amazing how much better yet less expensive we have it these days than in the past.

• 1 month later...

I had no idea Intergalactic Supply was recasting.  He has posted numerous videos and pics of his sculpt and build work before casting, on FB.  Is this specifically TK/TD armor or is it other Star Wars armor?  I know he offers TI, IG, IN, and Rebel helmets.

• Like 1

Adding another.  TD-3079 from CA.  Recasting several armor makers (ATA, KW, and whoever's snow trooper) and selling lots on Facebook, and made out of fiberglass.

https://www.facebook.com/cesarsaul.sierra/about
----

----

----

----

----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 11/10/2018 at 5:22 AM, Daetrin said:

Adding another.  TD-3079 from CA.  Recasting several armor makers (ATA, KW, and whoever's snow trooper) and selling lots on Facebook, and made out of fiberglass.

https://www.facebook.com/cesarsaul.sierra/about-----

This has now been added to our FB group

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2018 at 9:14 PM, BTCost74 said:

I had no idea Intergalactic Supply was recasting.  He has posted numerous videos and pics of his sculpt and build work before casting, on FB.  Is this specifically TK/TD armor or is it other Star Wars armor?  I know he offers TI, IG, IN, and Rebel helmets.

This is untrue, and I should not be on that list. It was said on a Facebook group that I had recast armor, but was found to be not true, and I was cleared for sales again. I do post progress pictures and have many armor projects underway. Anyone is welcome to message me for details .  

Edit. 

Tom Gardener, the author of this post,  swindled myself along with 9 other people from my Garrison with a scheme where we all pitched in to purchase a thermofomer and start an endeavor, after he failed to provide his part of the agreement, he retired and removed himself from our groups. I believe he put me on this list out of haste. 

Edited by Cantina Security

10 minutes ago, Cantina Security said:

This is untrue, and I should not be on that list. It was said on a Facebook group that I had recast armor, but was found to be not true, and I was cleared for sales again. I do post progress pictures and have many armor projects underway. Anyone is welcome to message me for details . 

Perhaps you could post images of your hand made molds, also any differences there are in your kits compared to others available.

17 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Perhaps you could post images of your hand made molds, also any differences there are in your kits compared to others available.

I will. And will post all updates from here on out. Some of my components were purchased from WTF and some discrepancies came about as to what I "could" and "couldn't" reproduce . So some of that boiled down to he said , she said, and Walt did get the admins straight and cleared my name in the group. So I am working to get some different parts sculpted/revised so no questions will arise .  I am currently working with a few 3D artists rendering some armor projects , and have been posting updates on my page . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cantina Security said:

I will. And will post all updates from here on out. Some of my components were purchased from WTF and some discrepancies came about as to what I "could" and "couldn't" reproduce . So some of that boiled down to he said , she said, and Walt did get the admins straight and cleared my name in the group. So I am working to get some different parts sculpted/revised so no questions will arise .  I am currently working with a few 3D artists rendering some armor projects , and have been posting updates on my page . 

Look forward to seeing them.

In the past some who's work had been questioned have done the same and it canhelp.

Being the home of Stormtroopers it only makes sense to have information here available for anyone who has questions about a particular armor ;) 

16 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

In the past some who's work had been questioned have done the same and it canhelp.

Being the home of Stormtroopers it only makes sense to have information here available for anyone who has questions about a particular armor ;) 

I agree , and even though my TK is a "Frankenstein" kit,  some parts borrowed/bought, some hand sculpted and some 3D derived, I know TK criticism can be harsh, I will still post my progress pictures. Thinking of printing a part and showing the process of bringing it to a hard mold. 

Edit. 

Here re is my thread on JRS 

https://www.jrs501st.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=15405

Edited by Cantina Security
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 10:30 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Intergalactic supply (Jason hill) has a very positive reputation within the gunnery corps, in fact he was on my shortlist with only wtf being the other name.  I have purchased both a gunner and a navy lid from him both of which cleared straight out of the box.  Perhaps it's time to take him off the avoid list as I wouldn't have used him if I had noticed earlier.

• Like 1

Still in search of my first armor (6' 2", mesomorphic build). How about StormtrooperStoreUS on Etsy? They have an XL Extended Set (https://www.etsy.com/listing/541953495/star-wars-stormtrooper-costume-armor?) Is this a reputable shop?

il_794xN.2178722998_k8r1.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Still in search of my first armor (6' 2", mesomorphic build). How about StormtrooperStoreUS on Etsy? They have an XL Extended Set (https://www.etsy.com/listing/541953495/star-wars-stormtrooper-costume-armor?) Is this a reputable shop?

NOOOOOO! Sorry for the drama stay away from the Etsy purchase.

If your bigger look into AM armor. I have it, it at 5’10” 260 at my largest and I had to trim it down. It’ll fit you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, carolinacommander said:

Always run as fast as you possibly can away from armor on eBay, Etsy or Amazon.  The short list: it's not approvable, it's terrible quality, it's recast, it's over priced, it's under priced (too good to be true? it is- this is not a cheap hobby), it's too thin, it's the wrong material, or it's simply bait-and-switch and not what is shown in the photos.  Or a multitude of other problems.  Just don't.  

For your size and build, I would second AM or RT-Mod.  Both are very good for taller and/or larger troopers, and both have great armor.  I have AM myself and it's been a fantastic kit for me- good quality, good thickness, held up well, Check out Various Types of Armor and Where to Find Them for further details on how to buy, where to buy, and what to absolutely avoid (eBay, Etsy, Amazon for armor).  

Non-501st specific stuff (like electronics, under suits, gloves, etc., parts that go with the costume but aren't specifically armor or Star Wars or 501st direct related) are acceptable on eBay, Etsy and Amazon, but never armor or hard parts.  

9 hours ago, carolinacommander said:

Both AM and RT-Mod are specifically designed for larger troopers. 

AM - troopersupplies@hotmail.com

RT-Mod - trooper7@shaw.ca

• Like 1

To suggest or avoid? Unless something has changed they still owe people armor that paid last year. 
Avoid. Refuses to refund people. Has yet to send out a full kit. Trying to get more people on run to supposedly pay refunds

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, heartstopper85 said:

Avoid. Refuses to refund people. Has yet to send out a full kit. Trying to get more people on run to supposedly pay refunds

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Agreed

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:03 AM, carolinacommander said:

Go with AM all the way, I have AM armor and am a bigger trooper, it was nice having to trim the kit down, and not wonder how I was going to shim everything. the armor looks amazing, and is tough! its the way to go with a bigger guy

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Commander Gree said:

Go with AM all the way, I have AM armor and am a bigger trooper, it was nice having to trim the kit down, and not wonder how I was going to shim everything. the armor looks amazing, and is tough! its the way to go with a bigger guy

I've recommended and seconded AM countless times, and I'll do it again- I love my AM 2.0.  I'm 5'11'' and the bigger aspect of it fits women's hips in addition to larger people in general.  It will easily do taller people, as well.  And if you're thinner/smaller, you can trim it (I trimmed a TON off my forearms).  And that stuff is tough!  I've knocked pieces off and they've been no worse for the wear.  Very good thickness.  Customer service was also good.  

• Like 2