Where, What and Whom To Avoid When Buying

2 hours ago, Gos said:

Hi everyone, don't mean to be a handfull but I'm interested in Stormtrooper armour funnily enough. I was watching a Linus Tech Tips video on the armour that can be found at https://www.originalstormtrooper.com/ and noticed in the comments section that it is apparently not 501st approved due to legal reasons in America. If anyone is able to verify this it would be much appreciated. :)

Hiya,

probably worth having a look here  :-)

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/?page=42

• Like 2

Just to add to the SDS/Shepperton/originalstormtrooper topic, aside from the law suit and the claims made by said maker, the armour (in my opinion) is just not good enough for the money being charged. I work near their Twickenham shop and have had a good look, close up, at their armour displays. The way that they themselves build/construct the armour shows a serious lack of attention to detail: for example, rivets on the sniper knee, overlap rather than butt joints, strapping in the wrong places, wrong shape on the thigh ammo pack, a very oddly proportioned thermal detonater etc etc. Now, I’m not saying that we all use the exact methods as the originals as this is not always practical for trooping, however, there just seems to be a total lack of effort into making these even close to resembling the originals. Especially when you’re charging up to 3 times more than other makers, makers that make much more accurate armour. 

It’s a sad story to me - I bought an early stunt TK helmet from AA back in 2005. He seemed nice enough when I met him - so much so that I later bought the TK bust, Tie helmet and tie bust. I just think he got carried away with the ‘back story’. 

If the armour were a third of the price and the story was ironed out, I wouldn’t say it’s that bad. Just needs quite a bit of effort to make it more accurate. However, I’d still buy elsewhere from a supplier hat has put some love and creativity into what they make. :-)

Speech over, and again, this is just my personal view point. :-)

• Like 2

On 26/12/2017 at 7:57 PM, starsaber25 said:

On 27/12/2017 at 8:48 AM, CableGuy said:

Just to add to the SDS/Shepperton/originalstormtrooper topic, aside from the law suit and the claims made by said maker, the armour (in my opinion) is just not good enough for the money being charged. I work near their Twickenham shop and have had a good look, close up, at their armour displays. The way that they themselves build/construct the armour shows a serious lack of attention to detail: for example, rivets on the sniper knee, overlap rather than butt joints, strapping in the wrong places, wrong shape on the thigh ammo pack, a very oddly proportioned thermal detonater etc etc. Now, I’m not saying that we all use the exact methods as the originals as this is not always practical for trooping, however, there just seems to be a total lack of effort into making these even close to resembling the originals. Especially when you’re charging up to 3 times more than other makers, makers that make much more accurate armour. 

It’s a sad story to me - I bought an early stunt TK helmet from AA back in 2005. He seemed nice enough when I met him - so much so that I later bought the TK bust, Tie helmet and tie bust. I just think he got carried away with the ‘back story’. 

If the armour were a third of the price and the story was ironed out, I wouldn’t say it’s that bad. Just needs quite a bit of effort to make it more accurate. However, I’d still buy elsewhere from a supplier hat has put some love and creativity into what they make. :-)

Speech over, and again, this is just my personal view point. :-)

On 27/12/2017 at 9:42 AM, sskunky said:

His armour is cast from two modified ESB mkii suits. And not originals as he borrowed two vendors suits and basically recast them. Hence the overlaps and differences between ANH and his. 

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate the help. It isn't easy to notice the flaws in something when you can't psychically look at it/touch it. I'm glad I looked at these forums before rushing into a purchase and regretting it. I will most likely look into some kits sold by independents who don't recast and actually put love and care into their work.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!  I’ve seen several members of the 501st in recent years in my area and am considering joining in the future.  I’ve been looking through the commercially available suits and was wondering if any of you have heard of RS PropMasters?

Their Stormtrooper commissions look up to snuff, and they claim to adhere to the 501st standards, but was looking for an extra opinion.  Thanks!

Here’s the link:  http://www.rspropmasters.com/product/complete-stormtrooper-commission-2/

Plenty of people on here have bought suits from them and taken them to the highest levels of approval/screen accuracy. They're one of the more accurate vendors.

As for kit vs. commission that is ultimately up to you, I couldn't speak for how accurate they assemble them, probably fine for basic approval but I'm not sure if they build to Centurion-acceptable standards or not.

Edited by Harbinger

On 1/8/2018 at 7:18 PM, Harbinger said:

Plenty of people on here have bought suits from them and taken them to the highest levels of approval/screen accuracy. They're one of the more accurate vendors.

As for kit vs. commission that is ultimately up to you, I couldn't speak for how accurate they assemble them, probably fine for basic approval but I'm not sure if they build to Centurion-acceptable standards or not.

Thanks for the tip!

rs is pretty much EIB out of the box with a few adjustments to fitting, centurion is not far off, they assemble them to your measurements which they send you a chart of where and what to measure, the kit is quite tricky to put together, all in all you cannot go wrong with rs pro-masters

On 1/8/2018 at 7:05 PM, Lizardman said:

Hello!  I’ve seen several members of the 501st in recent years in my area and am considering joining in the future.  I’ve been looking through the commercially available suits and was wondering if any of you have heard of RS PropMasters?

Their Stormtrooper commissions look up to snuff, and they claim to adhere to the 501st standards, but was looking for an extra opinion.  Thanks!

Here’s the link:  http://www.rspropmasters.com/product/complete-stormtrooper-commission-2/

RS armor is arguably the most accurate out there, and are pretty much Centurion ready right out of the box when using the full commision option.  You will need to pass basic 501st approval first, though and then EI before submitting for Centurion, but that should be a breeze.  I have seen a few occasions when there has been a small problem with the suit fitting correctly, but their customer service is outstanding and they worked quickly to rectify it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am looking for my neck seal and body suit and was wondering if Stroomtrooper-Costumes was a good place to buy?  I didn't see it listed here but i have have miss it...

https://www.stormtrooper-costumes.com/

2047639146.jpg

Also I am from Canada and try to buy from either the US or Canada, if someone know of another place feel free to suggest it :)

Fred 

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

I'll just leave this here;

ANOVOS -

https://www.bbb.org/wisconsin/business-reviews/masquerade-costumes/anovos-productions-in-simi-valley-ca-1000018801/Alerts-and-Actions

Pattern of Complaint

On January 27th, 2016, the BBB sent a certified letter to ANOVOS Productions due to a pattern of consumer concerns received by BBB from consumers.  In the complaints, consumers advised that they had not received their orders.

On March 14th, 2016 the BBB sent a certified follow up letter to the company after receiving no response to the initial letter. 

As of March 28th, 2016 the BBB has not received a response or phone call to the pattern of complaints.

Edited by gmrhodes13
updated text

18 hours ago, Staffa359 said:

Hi all,

I am looking for my neck seal and body suit and was wondering if Stroomtrooper-Costumes was a good place to buy?  I

As for the neck seal, a lot of us use Darman.  Top quality and custom made to order:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/21385-darmans-neck-seals/

Undersuits can be purchased pretty inexpensively on Amazon:

Pants:  https://www.amazon.com/DZRZVD-Compression-Running-Training-Leggings/dp/B078S6YFCQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1520070306&sr=1-4&nodeID=7147441011&psd=1&keywords=mens+black+compression+pants

Shirt:  https://www.amazon.com/Compression-Performance-Crewneck-Long-sleeve-Pack-Black/dp/B071CJNGQQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1520070357&sr=1-2&nodeID=7147441011&psd=1&keywords=mens+black+compression+shirt

ABS is what probably 90% of troopers sport, and there are many reasons why it's been proven to be the preferred thermoplastic for decades.

19 hours ago, ParkerLewisCL said:

I'm buying a suit and was wondering what material was recommended, abs or pvc?

I would go with ABS as well, Lewis.  It is fairly easy to cut/trim with the right tools, and keeps it's shine really well.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, juliet95 said:

What's the deal with Matt Gauthier? Any details on why he's on the "avoid" list?

Paul had the best answer to this, Jonah:

Matt Gauthier (TE)

"Matt was banned from this board for repeated flame wars, but even worse for repeatedly taking our members money and not delivering. He has at least twice documented "sold his molds", once to a 501st member, and then recast the sold molds to make new product. You can send him money if you want to take a large risk of not getting anything, and of supporting someone who has screwed numerous 501st members by lying to them.

That said, you are certainly free to send them money, however its buyer beware and you can't say you weren't warned..."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so there is a Facebook and Instagram page on this company called Custom Force Makers. They make Trooper armor. They even have photos on the amor they make and sell. There is one that I was thinking on getting from them. It’s a Scout  armor. If you go to their page and scroll down you will see it. Has anyone got anything from them? They say that they are 501st approved. 

Edited by Shdo69

59 minutes ago, Shdo69 said:

Ok so there is a Facebook and Instagram page on this company called Custom Force Makers. They make Trooper armor. They even have photos on the amor they make and sell. There is one that I was thinking on getting from them. It’s a Scout  armor. If you go to their page and scroll down you will see it. Has anyone got anything from them? They say that they are 501st approved. 

Looks like their scout armor is made out of fibreglass, be very heavy, most other makers use ABS plastic. I would highly recommend looking over at the pathfinders forum home of biker scouts. http://www.501stpathfinders.com/

1 hour ago, Shdo69 said:

I would advise to always be little leery of "501st Approved" because nothing is 501st approved out of the box, as approved not only the details and accuracy, but that it fits you as the individual wearer.  Now if they have some caveat about "eligible for 501st," or "approvable by 501st," or the like, then you're in safer territory.  I've just personally seen too many listing and sites with "501st Approved armor!" and it is no where near basic, let alone EIB or Centurion. 

This is not to say there aren't vetted armor makers that indicate 501st approved or similar language- as mentioned above, RS Props commissions are quite good and I have seen several that were approved out of the box.  They all have needed tweaking later to really be the best fit, as armor is really tough to fit with just measurements and not the person physically there.  

To me- if they're not on the vetted list here on Whitearmor, then stay away, it's not worth the chance for the money we shell out for these things.  

As far as Scouts go, I'd recommend Studio Creations or Walt's Trooper Factory (WTF)- Facebook and studiocreations.com.  I have a WTF Shadow Scout and it's great, and I was originally going to go with Studio Creations until I found a deal on a WTF kit someone was offloading.  But definitely check out http://www.501stpathfinders.com/ for Scout details and assistance.  (or https://specops501st.com/ if you're interested in the Shadow Scout).