Where, What and Whom To Avoid When Buying

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I've been skimming these forums for the last few weeks. I only recently found out I didn't have to be a 501st member to join.

I found this guy on ebay when looking at TFA armor:  ebay

Before buying, I asked him a few questions:

• Where did you get the armor? - He said it was the 3rd gen prototype offered to 501st members to promote TFA
  • Can you prove its authenticity? - His evidence were pictures of the helmet that showed a black liner which was only offered by Anovos as well as a picture of the original Anovos Box
  • Are you a member of the 501st? - He provided a link to his 501st profile where "the main photo on my listing is what they used to make my profile picture on the member page for this suit."
  • How would I replace the gaskets? - He complained about how you had to use Weir's glue for the Anovos gaskets, and recommended Imperial Gaskets for replacements

The majority of opinions regarding eBay from this thread are mostly negative, and I myself am always wary of eBay thanks to paranoia.

Think I got screwed over?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 9/23/2016 at 10:54 PM, RainyDays1971 said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I've been skimming these forums for the last few weeks. I only recently found out I didn't have to be a 501st member to join.

I found this guy on ebay when looking at TFA armor:  ebay

Before buying, I asked him a few questions:

• Where did you get the armor? - He said it was the 3rd gen prototype offered to 501st members to promote TFA
  • Can you prove its authenticity? - His evidence were pictures of the helmet that showed a black liner which was only offered by Anovos as well as a picture of the original Anovos Box
  • Are you a member of the 501st? - He provided a link to his 501st profile where "the main photo on my listing is what they used to make my profile picture on the member page for this suit."
  • How would I replace the gaskets? - He complained about how you had to use Weir's glue for the Anovos gaskets, and recommended Imperial Gaskets for replacements

The majority of opinions regarding eBay from this thread are mostly negative, and I myself am always wary of eBay thanks to paranoia.

Think I got screwed over?

Assuming the product exists and as pictured, it looks like a legit and pretty good deal. Price is not beyond what I'd consider fair for what it is.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2016 at 12:08 PM, Kacrut said:

What about TK ARMOR... his on Facebook <br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href==FB

He's legit with one of his armor. The NE or the one hi calls accurate size, is a recast.

The AM one, fully legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Check their member profiles and see where they are. Tkarmour is British I think. Claim to be their own sculpts.

Edited by sylverbard

Is the Jedi-robe on esty the same as the one from stromtroopershop.com? I was looking at getting a TI flight suit from them.

Run.... I read the below link and it help me...

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19329-where-what-and-whom-to-avoid-when-buying/

Edited by Kacrut

On 12/19/2015 at 3:08 AM, Jinsei said:

Well was just taking a look as a new garrison member bought a kit off of TKArmour.com, the kit piece photo's are EXACTLY the same as the photos off Stormtrooper City. Are they the same company? If they are seems like they are just widening their net in attempt to snag unwary buyers. If they aren't the same company both are claiming that they make their own amour from their own molds......

TKArmour

Just saw this here. They are not copying from each other. It's the same company. The two guys are settled in France and UK. But they don't sell the recasted FX anymore. I had some contact with them and it seems like they made their own molds now. Material is very stable, but the armor is not perfectly accurate. (But much better than a FX is) Maybe worth it to make a new comparison.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I would appreciate if an appraisal can be made of my new armour and constructive criticism given.

I have spent a long time changing and listening to people. One member of the Irish garrison really helped letting me see all of the other makers and suggesting some changes working closer to them but not the same as them. I have followed his advice.

I am not perfect but I am trying to get it as close as I can whilst staying unique and not copying another

• 2 months later...

Hi. I just came across TK Armour. They have the have the 501st Legion banner. Is that something to look into.

I don't know exactly what you mean. TK Armour - or TKUK don't have any legion banner. But anyhow most of the makers tell you their armors were on 501st standards. That's crap. The 501st doesn't approve any makers, they only approve the wearers. The armor has to perfectly fit yourself. I recommend you to read these topics:

Things To Consider Before Buying Armor

The various types of armor and where to find them (including the list of vetted makers)

Where, What and Whom To Avoid

​I hope you have a good start in the FISD - Welcome aboard and never hesitate to ask any  questions! :)

Edited by Ripper_L

I don't know exactly what you mean. TK Armour - or TKUK don't have any legion banner. But anyhow most of the makers tell you their armors were on 501st standards. That's crap. The 501st doesn't approve any makers, they only approve the wearers. The armor has to perfectly fit yourself. I recommend you to read these topics:

Things To Consider Before Buying Armor

The various types of armor and where to find them (including the list of vetted makers)

Where, What and Whom To Avoid

​I hope you have a good start in the FISD - Welcome aboard and never hesitate to ask any  questions! :)

:duim:

Christoph - if I ever see you in person, I owe you a beer. Perfect post! :pint1:

• Like 1

Is Redford films on eBay , a recaster ?

As had been said many many times before, stay away from eBay. It's just better to assume it is than get burned. Until you've built enough familiarity with legitimate armor you won't be able to tell. There are deals to be had on eBay and there are people that sell legit things. For the vast majority legit armor does not fall into this category in regards to eBay. Owning a set of Stormtrooper Armor is not something you want to take a shortcut on. It's an investment of time and $, it is not something you can hurry.

If you're looking to be an approved member of the 501st go with the vetted vendors listed in this forum. Take your time, do research, meet with approved members in your area. Most of us spent at least $1000 US all said and done. If you buy crap armor on a whim you will spend a whole lot more because YOU ARE going to be disappointed and have to buy a proper kit. You may recoup some $ by reselling the crap but better to just skip the disappointment and pay for a quality kit the first time!

If you're just looking to have a suit to goof around in NOT associated with the 501st, get whatever you want.

It's not that we are elitist or a bunch of snobs, we have a standard that we take pride In what we do. We didn't become the preferred costuming club for LFL by half a**ing things.

Jim - TK50899

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone new to the group something that a lot of people may not know about storm trooper armour There are suits made from GRP Fibreglass, I recently purchased a set of armour made from this , I have seen the moulds for sale on eb ay in the uk for the same price of an ABS suit.( around £750 mark)

Having worked in the aerospace composite industry for 12 years I am familiar with working with these materials carbon fibre etc.

I was recently at an Antiques fair and a guy was there selling these suits I purchased one for £60, When he told me the price I nearly bit his hand off.

The helmet is in x3 pieces very difficult to assemble however it is like a real suit of armour all put together the same way as ABS still in production some of the leg fittings have been widened using plastics strip and a heat gun on the inside of the moulds just for a bit of manuverability .

Used this process many times in the past , Obviously don't try this with ABS not recommended, I will post pictures when suit is finished its not 501st accurate but it's going to be finished in a battle worn style and will be used for fund raising for a children's hospice

Hello everyone new to the group something that a lot of people may not know about storm trooper armour There are suits made from GRP Fibreglass, I recently purchased a set of armour made from this , I have seen the moulds for sale on eb ay in the uk for the same price of an ABS suit.( around £750 mark)

Having worked in the aerospace composite industry for 12 years I am familiar with working with these materials carbon fibre etc.

I was recently at an Antiques fair and a guy was there selling these suits I purchased one for £60, When he told me the price I nearly bit his hand off.

The helmet is in x3 pieces very difficult to assemble however it is like a real suit of armour all put together the same way as ABS still in production some of the leg fittings have been widened using plastics strip and a heat gun on the inside of the moulds just for a bit of manuverability .

Used this process many times in the past , Obviously don't try this with ABS not recommended, I will post pictures when suit is finished its not 501st accurate but it's going to be finished in a battle worn style and will be used for fund raising for a children's hospice

I'd love to see  a Work in Progress thread of this  :popcorn:

Hi all, as a newbie here and have been reading through almost all prior comments etc I just have several questions. <br>

A) Is it an automatic rejection for 501st approval if one were to say buy a kit not from the recommended list including possible recaster?<br>

B) If the above is true then is this written somewhere on the 501st Legion's website?<br>

C) If one were to fix even a possible recast to almost screen accurate, then doesn't that at least warrant a basic approval if at all centurion or EIB is declined. <br>

Just trying to find out more about the ever confusing discussion on kits. It does seem to be industry driven to ensure individuals buying only from the recommended list. <br>

Hope to hear some comments or answers to shed some light (of course with backed up evidence and confirmation).

Re-casting is stealing, plain and simple.  The vetted armorers on that list have spent countless hours on research, and hundreds of hours sculpting their own accurate bucks (molds), and are known for their quality, reliability and customer service.  Re-casters copy their designs without permission and are only out to make money off of unsuspecting folks.  Some even list their list their knock-offs as "501st approvable" which they are not.  That is the reason for having this thread.

• Like 2

Hi all, as a newbie here and have been reading through almost all prior comments etc I just have several questions. <br>

A) Is it an automatic rejection for 501st approval if one were to say buy a kit not from the recommended list including possible recaster?<br>

B) If the above is true then is this written somewhere on the 501st Legion's website?<br>

C) If one were to fix even a possible recast to almost screen accurate, then doesn't that at least warrant a basic approval if at all centurion or EIB is declined. <br>

Just trying to find out more about the ever confusing discussion on kits. It does seem to be industry driven to ensure individuals buying only from the recommended list. <br>

Hope to hear some comments or answers to shed some light (of course with backed up evidence and confirmation).

These are all good questions.  The reality is that as a GML (garrison membership liaison), we cannot discriminate on the make of armor so long as it complies with the 501st standards and fits you correctly.  However that said, you should be fully aware that "recasting" as we describe it hurts our membership and the Legion as a whole, and is not condoned and as a 501st entity we equally do not condone recasting.  

The other reality is that most recasters have horrible service and poor quality, which is why they sell stuff on the cheap.

As Joseph mentions, in order to get on the list on the first page, the armor make must be "conflict free" in lineage, and also the sellers have had over a year of an established track record of quality, service, and integrity.  In other words, if you buy from the list you can't go wrong.  If you get something else, it's buyer beware and you could find yourself buying a kit that can't be made acceptable due to softness/quality issues, or you may never get your stuff.

Does that fully answer your question?  There are many threads (some pinned) on the ethics (or lack thereof) of recasting, so we'll not belabor them here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Star Fortress is now on Etsy as Warpcostumegallery and Amazon at Thor's Costumes and Hobbies. Just an FYI.

Just received a phasma kit from them without finding this post first. :'( Luckily I found the Phasma FB group and posted pictures before I did anything to it and they told me it was innacurate. All I gotta do now is trudge through their return policy BS. Sneaky Hutt-spawn changed their name.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

So as a total noob I read this post but not through all the replies to it then bought a Phasma kit from Thor's costumes and hobbies. Doing more research after my ordeal I found someone said Starforge is now Thor's costumes and hobbies on Amazon, while I did research and can't attest to that I can say to avoid them at all costs! After posting my armor kit I received on here and on the Phasma Facebook page many people were quick to point out inaccuracies in the armor. I decided to return it as I don't have the means to re-fabricate an entire set of fiberglass armor. They claimed it met or exceeded 501st expectations in their description on Amazon. I bought it for that purpose. Well they have since refused my return request in a series of unprofessional, rude emails that do a lot of badmouthing the 501st. Please don't buy from them. I'm gonna post the email traffic below because it is hilarious and to show how unprofessional this seller is.

(Italics are emails from me)

(Bold are emails from the seller)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Return reason: Inaccurate website description
Customer comments: I was really looking for 501st approvable armor and it is too inaccurate to be fixable. When I did some more research I found this to be true, every piece has at least one innacuracy. 

Dear theresa,
Thor's Costumes and Hobbies has closed the return request listed below.
Reason for the closure of your request: Expiration of returns period
Seller comments: We don't "Guarantee" that the costume kit will be accepted by any particular costuming club as per THEIR rules. 501st is a commercial based club that wants you to buy THEIR under-the-table costumes and will deliberately make rules and variations to discourage buyers from buying from other entities, and are well known for prejudicing against non-member sellers products and adjusting their codes and specs for that purpose from time to time. The costume kit allows you to modify it easy enough to adapt to these variations in 501st club policies since it requires building and adjustment to personal requirements and specs.

Dear Thor's costumes and hobbies, 

I don't care your views on the 501st, I care that you sold me a product that didn't fit the product description when I bought it. This morning, your product description clearly said "meets or exceeds 501st approval" after my return request you changed that. I also have an email from your company claiming the exact same thing. Please accept my return request,  I cannot justify spending hundreds of dollars and hours making this costume 501st approvable when I bought it with the thought and description that I would not have to do such extensive modifications for that purpose. 

We have numerous members using these costumes in the 501st, that were thus 501st approved. 501st is already well known for changing their specs often, and even duplicating our products, thus pirating them. When you purchased the kit there was no conflict with their specs. The item is as described. The kit as described requires your own workmanship to complete it to your desired finish and fine detail. You posted a picture from a rather recent 501st update of the forearm set, that set is not authentic in detail, but is rather someone else's RENDITION of what THEY think the costume part should look like. Our notice stated meets or exceeds, thus our parts exceeded the quality of what they are showing, which is often the case. I cannot offer a refund based on someone else's club politics, rivalries and speculations.

Based on the last two emails I have received from you, I get a strong feeling that you are denying my refund because of your personal dispute with the 501st club. This is very unprofessional, as this is between you, the seller and me the consumer. I would like a refund based on an inaccurate website description. I am not satisfied with your product and there are better prices available on higher quality similar items. If you are absolutely certain that your product meets or exceeds that club's standards then why did you change the product description shortly after receiving my return request? The description now makes no such claims as it did when I bought it and when I checked the description again this morning. I am not asking for a refund based on someone else's club politics, rivalries and speculations. I reiterate, after receiving your product I no longer want it because of the inaccurate website description and better pricing with similar items. I will be filing a claim with Amazon if you continue to deny my request for a refund.

And thus the truth comes out, you've changed your mind as you've found a cheaper version of the product and you're using the vague excuse of you're opinion of it being inaccurate in order to extort a refund at the expense of my spending $400.00 to ship it to you from around the world. How "unprofessional" of you. I have no "personal dispute" with 501st, I just stated the facts as are well known throughout fandom regarding their changing specifications and attempting to push out other sellers from their own pirated product sales. Ok, fine, return the item to the address on the carton, the refund will be issued after the item has been returned and inspected.

I am truly disappointed that it has come to this, the costume is made with quality and care but not what was described when I made this purchase. I paid around 250 dollars for shipping as shown in my order details. I am a bit confused as to why you would have to pay another 400 dollars on top of that for shipping from Virginia to Oregon. I am not attempting to "extort" anything from you, I paid quite a bit of money for a product expecting something you described and received a product that was not as described. I will be making my return claim through Amazon. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As you can see, this person definitely fits the description as being from a wretched hive of scum and villainy. At the end they even try to get me to send it back to them without Amazon's guarantees which seems like a scam to me. It seems as though they want me to send it back so they can find something wrong with it and not refund me. In the words of the infamous Admiral Ackbar: "IT'S A TRAP!"
Edited by Tevva