Where, What and Whom To Avoid When Buying

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some Jan 2014 active postings on ebay.  What do you guys think?

hmmm, why can't I paste what I copied into a Word Pad document?

I carefully read the ebay posts.   I've heard back from two of the recommended resources, but they are both made of HIPS, require painting, and back logged.

The ones I found on ebay are obviously ready now.  Two of them stated they were 501st approved, and one is made from shiny black ABS :D, and he said he is a 501 member. (He does go out of his way to state "this is a generic, fan made, costume, in no way a licensed or endorsed product".

- OK, I edited this post, and included the MS Word Pad document.

(Couldn't upload it as a reply.)

Jan 2014 active ebay Stormtrooper armor postings.rtf

Edited by Trying2

I included the first two sources so that the "data base" of sellers could be updated, if you guys care.

Myself, I wanted the set being sold by Auctionwiz2000, or  MyPropCollection. 

Again, I want an outfit or kit that is already shiny black, and prefer not HIPS.

• 1 month later...

Sds or AA are recasts and not made on original moulds. As much as he would like you to believe they are, they're not. They are a mix of recasted GF and TE all modified to look different.

Apart from his helmets which are a hybrid of his own parts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I happened across an Etsy seller called starbays, they have nearly every helmet you can think of, tons of blasters, armor, ect. As soon as I saw how many items they were selling I was VERY suspect of the seller, don't know if anyone has any experience with them but to borrow a quote "I got a bad feeling about this".

esty

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 5/1/2014 at 3:03 AM, TK1397 said:

I happened across an Etsy seller called starbays, they have nearly every helmet you can think of, tons of blasters, armor, ect. As soon as I saw how many items they were selling I was VERY suspect of the seller, don't know if anyone has any experience with them but to borrow a quote "I got a bad feeling about this".

esty

Looks like another account for starfortress. The products look like theirs, and the etsy name has a similar ring to it.

Avoid!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Hi guys/gals,

I really want to look at getting  ANH trooper costume but myself am not too good at building or rather should I say I am not to confident in building one. I would love to be an affiliated member of 501. Are there any reputable builders out there and have you any advice on what to go for. I am of fairly slim build and I am 5.10 so this may make a difference ? I have been looking through threads but with so many I am not sure where to go and some advice would be much appreciated,

thanks very much.  :smiley-sw013:

Hi guys/gals,

I really want to look at getting  ANH trooper costume but myself am not too good at building or rather should I say I am not to confident in building one. I would love to be an affiliated member of 501. Are there any reputable builders out there and have you any advice on what to go for. I am of fairly slim build and I am 5.10 so this may make a difference ? I have been looking through threads but with so many I am not sure where to go and some advice would be much appreciated,

thanks very much.  :smiley-sw013:

Slim and 5 foot 10. Any screen accurate suit will fit. Since you're a UK fellow, I would say that if money is less of a problem, go with either TM, RS or CFO (as they are all UK based) depending on which version you want to have. All of them can also build the suit for an additional fee to meet your measurements.

Slim and 5 foot 10. Any screen accurate suit will fit. Since you're a UK fellow, I would say that if money is less of a problem, go with either TM, RS or CFO (as they are all UK based) depending on which version you want to have. All of them can also build the suit for an additional fee to meet your measurements.

Thanks. Would you recommend any of these for a more glossy finish ? or just for the better finish ? cheers

Thanks. Would you recommend any of these for a more glossy finish ? or just for the better finish ? cheers

All of them make really nice armour, and if you want it glossy or more creamy, you can have either.

All of them make really nice armour, and if you want it glossy or more creamy, you can have either.

Just looking on the Rs prop masters facebook. Look really good as it goes. thanks for your help. I will keep trawling :-)

I want to ask about SDS (originalstormtrooper.com) battle spec, is that approved or need much work for improvement?

because there is budget friendly.

SDS is approvable after some improvements. But it is not the best looking one, and you can get better for less money if you build yourself.

• 8 months later...

I'd appreciate the thoughts of the more experienced on this:

ebay

Does it appear authentic and is it decent?

Thanks

Steve

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 1/28/2015 at 3:19 AM, Chip said:

ebay

Thanks

Steve

I would say no. Simple reason, it's from e-bay. It does looks like an AP on the pictures. But, for about the same price, you will get a brand spanking new AP.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 1/28/2015 at 3:19 AM, Chip said:

ebay

Thanks

Steve

It is a legit auction of a built AP helmet. The helmet is a nice build, nice lines, very clean. It really depends on your location. If you are in the UK, it's a good deal as shipping and conversion rates aren't a problem. If you are not in the UK, shipping and conversion rates might not make it worth it.

The main thing about AP Helmets is that their mictips are not accurate (says so as well in the auction), but they still look decent.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, I'm new to all of this and I'm almost afraid to ask but I just brought an ultimate combo kit from shepperton studios in England, personally signed helmet etc etc from Andrew Ainsworth, cost me a bomb but I wanted the collectibility of it due to being made from the original molds from a new hope more than wearing but still keen on wearing a few times a year. I'm hoping that originalstormtrooper.com is a reputable supplier or am I way off the mark??

Hey guys, I'm new to all of this and I'm almost afraid to ask but I just brought an ultimate combo kit from shepperton studios in England, personally signed helmet etc etc from Andrew Ainsworth, cost me a bomb but I wanted the collectibility of it due to being made from the original molds from a new hope more than wearing but still keen on wearing a few times a year. I'm hoping that originalstormtrooper.com is a reputable supplier or am I way off the mark??

It's not made from original moulds, just marketing. It's a decent kit, but not what they claim it to be.
  • Like 1