Where, What and Whom To Avoid When Buying

Thanks everyone for the useful info! As far as blasters are concerned...is it best to find a converted Sterling or are the resin cast decent?

A converted sterling is the holy grail for a display piece, but for trooping you''re better off with a hyperfirm or a doopydoo resin kit. Avoid hasbros. :)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the useful info! As far as blasters are concerned...is it best to find a converted Sterling or are the resin cast decent?

I have got converted Sterling with all the real geeblies (Counter m38 scope metal power cylinders) The Sterling weighs about 15LBS then with all the add-ons about 21LBS.

If you do not mind the weight is very cool. :Laser:

One more thing, if you are worried about people holding/messing with your prize, do not troop with it......Get a resin one.

A converted sterling is the holy grail for a display piece, but for trooping you''re better off with a hyperfirm or a doopydoo resin kit. Avoid hasbros. :)

Is there anything wrong with hasbros? (As in apart from having to mod/covert them)

Edited by Vwooooshenator

Is there anything wrong with hasbros? (As in apart from having to mod/covert them)

Yes.

For the price of an unmodded Hasbro plus the resin kit to "accurise " it you could easily buy a complete resin kit from the same seller of said Hasbro resin mod kits.

Why spend the same amount, if not more, on something inaccurate when for the same price you can get something far far better?

Hey guys. New member here. I've been reading a LOT of the topics around this forum while trying to consider what armor is right for me. I know that everyone advises extreme caution when purchasing a kit from eBay. I'm a college student and budget is the name of the game for me right now. I ran across a seller on ebay selling several armor kits for a VERY good price. The seller's name is trekfreek and his kits are going for around $200-$300 by the time the auction ends. I was wondering if anybody could comment on whether or not this armor would be a good option for me. The reviews from buyers who bought this kit are very positive, but I just wanted to tread carefully.

Well for 200-$300 you will get what you pay for. It costs me more than that to make a suit and helmet. It will also be recast. There are only a few vendors in the world that make armour that is not recast. TM his is a very accurate own sculpt, RS that is cast from a ANH screen used suit and my own CFO cast from ROTJ. There are other accepted vendors too. Please check out thd thread on getting started to find more info.

On 4/22/2012 at 3:13 AM, tjweeks said:

Hey guys. New member here. I've been reading a LOT of the topics around this forum while trying to consider what armor is right for me. I know that everyone advises extreme caution when purchasing a kit from eBay. I'm a college student and budget is the name of the game for me right now. I ran across a seller on ebay selling several armor kits for a VERY good price. The seller's name is trekfreek and his kits are going for around $200-$300 by the time the auction ends. I was wondering if anybody could comment on whether or not this armor would be a good option for me. The reviews from buyers who bought this kit are very positive, but I just wanted to tread carefully.

Hi Tyler if this is the kit you are look at: ebay

This kit is by Makerofthings. He is a recaster, and on the list in the first post in this thread to avoid.

1. His armor is 0.060 gauge (which is very thin)

2. He uses just styrene, which is a low grade and will not withstand trooping. Every time I have heard and seen someone buy his kit they tell of horror stories of the kit coming in with large cracks and warping..... Save you money and looking into an ABS kit. You can get them starting round $500.00

ATA is a good product at a good price:http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11538 Contact Terrell.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

What does argentina-worldwide-custom-props , recast?

He does his leatherstuff by himself and the hardparts for his Vader stuff are portumac or GT parts.

Than you also could write RS Props in that list , cause he recast a real stormtrooper suit.lol.

Edited by Turrican

Just joined today and just finished cancelling my order for reduced size armor from stormtroopers-costumes.net. Thank you for saving me a lot of disappointment.

I will be ordering my armor from one of your recommended sites as soon as my money is refunded. Although their armor is no good, what about their resin blaster, undersuit, boots and neck seal? Any thoughts on the quality? Also, I am 5'7" and short for a stormtrooper. Any recommendations for a seller that would sell armor that would fit my size? I have no experience with trimming and would pay extra to have it done.

Thanks for your time and greetings from Ontario Canada.

Hurray! We saved one! :D

No, don't get their blaster or other parts either. It's all sub-par. Keep reading here on the forums and you'll see what else is out there that is better.

Here's a comparison between the jedi-robe E-11 (upper) and a SDS (middle). Photos curtesy of Arnie_DK.

-------

Hasbro (top), Jedi-robe (middle), SDS (bottom)

----------

The resin kits from doopy doo or the already finished hyperfirms (not pictured) are even better!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

If you are 5"7' then any of the screen derived armours (ATA, AP, CFO, RS and so on) or TM should fit you just fine with some minor modifications. Some say that AP is the smaller of those I mentioned. I'm about 5"10 and really slim and wear my TM just fine height-wise. For girth I needed some extra trimming for get a good fit.

DO NOT get AM despite it's low prize (on par with ATA), you'll be swimming inside it without extensive modding and then you'll want to get a new helmet because the AM helmet is not much to look at.

Thank you kindly for your quick replies. I have read a few good things about ATA and I am leaning in that direction. One more thing. Your site is vast and I'm only viewing with a cell phone right now and cannot seem to find a contact email for them. Could someone pass it along? Also, in the interest of full size disclosure, I am 5'7" but also have a 42" inch waist. Is ATA still where I should go?

You guys are great,

Michael.

Edited by Malarky

On 23.4.2012 at 1:42 AM, Malarky said:

Thank you kindly for your quick replies. I have read a few good things about ATA and I am leaning in that direction. One more thing. Your site is vast and I'm only viewing with a cell phone right now and cannot seem to find a contact email for them. Could someone pass it along? Also, in the interest of full size disclosure, I am 5'7" but also have a 42" inch waist. Is ATA still where I should go?

You guys are great,

Michael.

Here you go Michael: ATAworks@yahoo.com

Also here is the link for the other armor kits/vendors that have a good rep:http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11538

Thanks again for your help but one more thing. What does the abbreviation EIB stand for?

Michael

It stands for "Expert Infantry Badge".

It is our tier two costume award for those that want to go a bit further than the out-of-the-box look without having to go all in. That is what Centurion, our tier three award is for.

Well I got the stormtrooper-costumes.com order cancelled. (Boy, were they pissed! Kept trying to talk me out of it telling me how their armor is accepted all over the world by the 501st and all I was doing was listening to a bunch of "wankers".) I'm now it touch with AP armor and I owe a whole lot of thanks to all you folks at whitearmor. Been a wild 12 hours. Thanks for all your help.

Sincere thanks,

Michael.

• Like 1

If I was running a scam I would be pretty pissed if people didn't bait too. ^_^

Good luck with your AP or whichever you end up with. Pretty much any armour recommended on this forum is miles better than what you normally find.

On 4/22/2012 at 9:48 AM, RogueTrooper said:

Hi Tyler if this is the kit you are look at: -------

This kit is by Makerofthings. He is a recaster, and on the list in the first post in this thread to avoid.

1. His armor is 0.060 gauge (which is very thin)

2. He uses just styrene, which is a low grade and will not withstand trooping. Every time I have heard and seen someone buy his kit they tell of horror stories of the kit coming in with large cracks and warping..... Save you money and looking into an ABS kit. You can get them starting round $500.00

ATA is a good product at a good price:http://www.whitearmo...showtopic=11538 Contact Terrell.

This is actually the one I was referring to: --------

They claim 501st approved, but again, I'm wary.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 4/24/2012 at 1:39 AM, tjweeks said:

This is actually the one I was referring to:  ---------

They claim 501st approved, but again, I'm wary.

Most likely recast AM. Avoid!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed