arduino: a cheap board for E11 blaster effects

If someone wants to use an OLED display in his/her blaster, I made a font using the iconic Star Wars characters which can be used together with the Adafruit GFX library:

https://github.com/Protonerd/FX-BlasterOS/blob/master/libraries/Adafruit-GFX-Library-master/Fonts/Aurebesh_6pt.h

Some pics showing an OLED display both with ordinary font and so called Aurebesh:

dMMvd97.jpg

BKS8gAo.jpg

79nH0bc.jpg

The last pic has a small Stormtrooper head which I made "by hand" as a bitmap replacing the characters [ and ]. The pictures use a 128x64 OLED configured as 128x32, which means every 2nd row is ommitted. Using a 128x32 will look much better as characters will not be streched.

Adafruit GFX lib can be found here:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-GFX-Library

Adafruit SSD1306 lib can be found here:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_SSD1306

Using the OLED display in the code is quite easy with these libs, some examle lines showing the essential commands:

// to include libs and font:
#include <Adafruit_GFX.h>
#include <Adafruit_SSD1306.h>
#include <Fonts/Aurebesh_6pt.h>

// initialize the OLED:
  /***************************************************************************************************
* SSD_1306 based 128x64 I2C OLED monochrome display
* Adafruit_SSD1306.h reconfigured to use only 128x32 pixels, otherwise sketch runs out of RAM
 */
#define OLED_RESET 4
Adafruit_SSD1306 display(OLED_RESET);

// to set the font as active font later in the code:
      display.setFont(&Aurebesh6pt7b);
// to switch back to default characters
      display.setFont();
// to dislay something with the currently activ font:
  display.println("Trooper: TK-83607");

OLEDs I used so far:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/IIC-I2C-0-91-128x32-Blue-OLED-LCD-Display-Module-3-3v-5v-FOR-AVR-Arduino-/201844374681?hash=item2efedcbc99

Have fun!

9 minutes ago, RankAndFileTrooper said:

If someone wants to use an OLED display in his/her blaster, I made a font using the iconic Star Wars characters which can be used together with the Adafruit GFX library:

// to include libs and font:
#include <Adafruit_GFX.h>
#include <Adafruit_SSD1306.h>
#include <Fonts/Aurebesh_6pt.h>

// initialize the OLED:
  /***************************************************************************************************
* SSD_1306 based 128x64 I2C OLED monochrome display
* Adafruit_SSD1306.h reconfigured to use only 128x32 pixels, otherwise sketch runs out of RAM
 */
#define OLED_RESET 4
Adafruit_SSD1306 display(OLED_RESET);

// to set the font as active font later in the code:
      display.setFont(&Aurebesh6pt7b);
// to switch back to default characters
      display.setFont();
// to dislay something with the currently activ font:
  display.println("Trooper: TK-83607");

Have fun!

please when you post in this topic add more specific information how to add that feature in this project, such as the updated scheme, the link of the module (datasheet), otherwise is quite unuseful. Thanks.

Edited by skyone

24 minutes ago, roxiestrife said:

So I've bought most of my parts already andI've started putting my stuff together to see it working. The link below is a video of what I have working so far.

As I am installing it into an E22 Blaster I would like to use two of the tri colour LEDs on the shopping list. If I use three LED drivers to power both LEDs should I stick to the 350ma drivers or would three 700ma drivers be more appropriate?

I'll be using 2 rgb LEDs as the E22 blaster has 2 barrels. The 350ma driver I linked doesnt appear to have an intergrated pt4115 circuit from what I can see. Is that a nessecity?

Ops didnt know of double barrel. If they fire at the same time you might try to use 3 drivers of 700mA for both RGB Leds, the PWM control from arduino should works for both. In that case the 2 RGB leds should be connected between them in parallel to double the amperage needed.

Otherwise you still need the 350mA for each color with pt4115 and pwm output.

Edited by skyone

2 hours ago, skyone said:

please when you post in this topic add more specific information how to add that feature in this project, such as the updated scheme, the link of the module (datasheet), otherwise is quite unuseful. Thanks.

OK, noted. I assumed - probably wrongly - that the basics of how to drive an OLED display were discussed in this thread already. I personally think it adds a new flavor to any blaster builds and a 128x32 OLED dislay can be driven confortably with a Nano or Micro. I will compile an information package and post them together with some pics.

For those who already used OLED displays with Arduino, the piece of code and the link to the font file say it all.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, just like to say I love the programming for the E-11 Blaster, I have done a few now and used your code.

This is where I'm asking for help as I'm no programmer and although I have adapted your Case to incorporate an OLED Screen, which works well, I have adapted another piece of code as an Ammo Counter, both run perfectly independently but I can't combine the 2, just keep getting errors which I don't understand, spent the last 2 days trying to figure it out.

Any chance I can send you the 2 Separate Codes and see if you can figure it out?

Many thanks 

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Hey All, 
I am building a F-11D TFA blaster and would like to use this for the sounds/lights.  I won't be using the counter LED's, and I'm not sure if it even should have a reload function. 
Can I just omit the multi-segment LED module without changing anything else, and is there a way to bypass the counting/reload function?  I'm not a programmer, and I can likely figure it out with some help, but I'm also brand new to Arduino.

Thanks!

On 1/1/2018 at 8:00 AM, Jonelli said:

Hey All, 
I am building a F-11D TFA blaster and would like to use this for the sounds/lights.  I won't be using the counter LED's, and I'm not sure if it even should have a reload function. 
Can I just omit the multi-segment LED module without changing anything else, and is there a way to bypass the counting/reload function?  I'm not a programmer, and I can likely figure it out with some help, but I'm also brand new to Arduino.

Thanks!

sure and it would be very easy

it might be better to start a new code with the basic functions fire sound and led light when fire

22 minutes ago, tom1138 said:

These are all simply amazing and I hope to build one soon. I am curious what you all would think of using these for the barrel lights for the travel effect:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1426

It already exists. It can be quite easily be made using a Nano board.

Usually I use neopixel stripes for the barrel, 60LED/m variants are perfect. The neopixel stick you can use for PLI or bargraph.

For wiring you can use this one, for sure you will not need the MPU:

https://github.com/Protonerd/FX-SaberOS/wiki/Wiring#homebrew-pixel-blade

For a full blaster code using only neopixels as lightning you can visit:

https://github.com/Protonerd/FX-BlasterOS

The code is written for any Arduino board using the Atmega328P like Nano, Micro etc. The library to drive the pixels is also included: https://github.com/Protonerd/FX-BlasterOS/tree/master/libraries/light_WS2812

I also made a long time ago an E11 using neopixels. You can do it with a Nano, just need a digital I/O to drive the pixels.

Edited by RankAndFileTrooper

As promised, for those who want to use the neopixel stick as bargraph/status bar, I uploaded the 3D model file for 2 to 8 segment bargraph to Thingiverse, free to use, enjoy!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2783648

Put a packing wrap and a clear plastic sheet on top of the stick for additional diffusion and it will look great!

Hey SkyOne,
Your eBay link for the 5v regulator sends you to generic 5v regulators.  You might want to specify it to be a positive voltage regulator.  I ended up with some negative L7905's by accident and when they heated up real good, I realized what happened.

In case anyone is interested... I'm trying to fit all this into a F-11D blaster.  I'm still in the beginning stages, but I think I've figured out a way to build a charging port into the end cap.
I added a recessed port with threads to the white part, and mating threads into the grey D-Ring part so that it can be unscrewed and plugged in to charge my LiPo battery.
VjZDsPD.jpgd6wvDz6.jpgXBYDmSt.jpg

On 12/2/2018 at 9:36 AM, Jonelli said:

Hey SkyOne,
Your eBay link for the 5v regulator sends you to generic 5v regulators.  You might want to specify it to be a positive voltage regulator.  I ended up with some negative L7905's by accident and when they heated up real good, I realized what happened.

you are right

The voltage regulator should be positive

i used the L7805CV

edited first page

18 hours ago, Jonelli said:

In case anyone is interested... I'm trying to fit all this into a F-11D blaster.  I'm still in the beginning stages, but I think I've figured out a way to build a charging port into the end cap.
I added a recessed port with threads to the white part, and mating threads into the grey D-Ring part so that it can be unscrewed and plugged in to charge my LiPo battery.
VjZDsPD.jpg

love to see such works in this thread

well done

Okay, I think I'm finished modding this project.  I am going to equip a new F-11D Standard Blaster I have 3D Printed with this project modded for use with only TWO buttons (the F-11D has two triggers already) and I have removed the classic guns and replaced some of the sounds.  
I found some issues with SkyOne's schematic that appear to be errors and have reported them to him, so I won't go into that here.  
I am NOT using the Hengstler counter at all, so that has been removed from the schematic and the Arduino code.

I cleaned up the code to minimize only the functions I am using.  Here they are:

All same weapons as original design minus the classic guns. 

E11 sound have been replaced with F-11D sound

Ammo Reload and Weapon select sounds have been replaced with F-11D startup sound (cuz it's cool)

Button one is still the same fire functions.  Single shot or hold for multi shot of whatever weapon you have selected.

Button two has THREE functions:

Short press - Reload Ammo - Plays F11D power up sound

2 sec press - Select next weapon - Plays "click click" then F11D power up sound

5 sec press - play TK radio loop

When the TK radio loop is playing, pressing fire automatically selects back to the main F-11D weapon blast and fires it.

I tested out using an acrylic rod to illuminate the length of the barrel and still have the end lit up.  It seems to work really well.  In the video you can see i have not cut down the acrylic rod to length yet and most of it is clear.  You can still see it light up in the clear portion of the rod, but if you look closely to the front half of my barrel, it will be lit up much brighter because I scored that end with sandpaper so it is no longer clear around that section.  This makes it much brighter along the barrel.

The blaster you see in the background is the larger "heavy" version of the F-11D that made last year.  It only has lights inside it.  If I feel up to it after this project is done, I may tear it apart and add this to it as well.

Edited by Jonelli

Oops... I just realized I'm not done... :/  I still have to light up the static red LED's on the blaster.  I might as well use the arduino to drive it too.

I'll post my Arduino code and schematic when I'm really finished then.

****EDIT****
To not confuse this thread's purpose with my mods, I'm starting a new build thread for my version here:

All further info I create will be posted there.  

Edited by Jonelli

• 1 month later...

just in case, i update the range limit of the power supply of the latest scheme with arduino pro mini, from 7,4v - 12v into 7,4v - 9v

after some testing and reading around, i realized that these arduino pro mini chinese clones can't handle in this project 12 volts, it will burn their small voltage regulators.

By the way, it is really unecessary 12 volts, the project just need around 7,4volts

Edited by skyone

• 1 month later...

I'm having some issues getting mine to work.  I wired everything up into my blaster, but when I turn it on, i get 2 blips from the speaker, my ammo count lights up, 2 of the segments flash, the main led lights up green and flashes blue occasionally.  I triple checked my wiring and tried reflashing, still get the same.  I figured it was something I did, I had spare parts, so I did a second build on the bench and got same results.  I'm assuming something is wrong with the code, was hoping someone knows what's going on or where I should look next.  I did my build to 5.0.1  schematics and am using the latest 5 code off the site, pin numbers in the sketch match my wiring, so I assume I have the correct code.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 7:55 AM, Vuki said:

Hi All!

Somebody pls help me to get the sounds.

Manuel not answering... :(

Thank you very much

Hi, I will star soon with this project. Thanks to all guys.

I find this place to download many blaster effects: http://www.plecterlabs.com/shop/article_info.php?articles_id=3

(Core V5 have .wav files)

Good Luck!

Edited by alejandro

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2018 at 3:04 PM, alejandro said:

Hi, I will star soon with this project. Thanks to all guys.

I find this place to download many blaster effects: http://www.plecterlabs.com/shop/article_info.php?articles_id=3

(Core V5 have .wav files)

Good Luck!

that was a good find, by the way these sounds are streamed at 22.050 kHz / 16 bit because of the limitation of their board.

In this project you can play MP3 files at 44.100 kHz (and over), that is much better quality. This is because here the limit is just the SD capacity (up 32GB!). For example, you can upload the best soundtracks from the saga or any background sounds (like the stormtrooper chatting radio from 501forum), playing them while your blaster is folded.

If you need the mp3 sounds just send me a pm, i will send you the link and the password.