arduino: a cheap board for E11 blaster effects

I have everything connected apart from the LED's and I am struggling to get it to work correctly. can I run this without LED's

Thanks

Yes you can, depends on your code ;-) just remove the LED triggering routines or exclude them in the code...

Sent from a galaxy, far, far away...

Edited by TK-71715
  • Like 1

Update:

I was mainly working in the last couple of days on:

- display layout

- config menu system

For the display I came up with following layout:

Blaster_Display_Layout_zpsdgs3qca8.jpg

The Ammo counter and the Status field are updated in case there is a change - the status bar will display if the ammo is full, empty, is being reloaded or shoots. Later, when I finish coding stun, it will also display that, future plans are: random jam, overheat.

Changing color of the shot also works now, you can configure it for every sound font separately and the values will be stored in the EEPROM of the Atmega (well, storng still does not work, I have to figure out why...but changing color does and it is FUN!!!).

Because this Bounty Hunter blaster is a prelude to a bigger project, which is going to be a DoopyDoo's E11 Blaser Kit, I tried how well the DIYino fits into the main barrel.

It fits quite snugly even into the black PVC tube, requiring minimum sanding.,  I expected this, because the DIYino was developed for Ligthsaber props, where space is much more limited as in a blaster, so compared to them I have the luxury of nearly unlimited room in the E11 kit.

IMG_20160917_204543053_zpsdegcwbc0.jpg

Actually the board I have has a lot of functionality, some of which might not be needed for blasters (but for sure in Lightsabers), but it's significantly smaller than if modules are soldered together. It is based on the Arduino Nano, so has an Atmega328P.

DIYino_blaster_modules_zpsidwxbahb.jpg

Next step is to have the stun light effect coded. And oh yeah, I noticed that the foremost neopixel seems to have supply problems, it only lits up in warmer colors (red, orange), probably a wire is broken and it gets supplied from the data line...

Edited by Sly11
Edited to replace brocken photo file with replacment by Sly11 2020

Where is a good resource to get started (on boards that will fit, pre-made code, etc) without reading 18 pages of comments? I'm at the point I'm ready to start on the electronics for my F-11D.

and here a new version with smoke machine addition!

the fog machine is from RC car toys, sold for just 20 euro over ebay china (oil included). It is made by:

a small board that control the intensity of smoke

a small electric pump

a (?) resistor that burn safe oil

to control it by arduino i had to use the servo library and a small transistor as power switch. With the servo library i can control fog intenstiy, with transistor i can turn it on and off when i need.

So that's all, it was made especially for boba flame thrower weapon but it can be used with any weapon stored in arduino, as E11 fire as it was seen on  ANH

i will add the scheme

P_20160925_164224.jpg

gallery_12157_11_483237.jpg

gallery_12157_11_264016.jpg

Edited by skyone
  • Like 3

The first post looks like it was written for people who already know how to wire and code... not someone like me who rarely does that sort of stuff.

i know, maybe you can check some arduino tutorials; i started this job with just a simple test: turning on a led with a microswitch

in the meantime i finished the scheme of the version with smoke generator

fx_blaster_schem.jpg

e11_ver_5_WT5001_SMK.zip

Edited by skyone
  • Like 2

********************************* anyone knows how to include youtube video which can be activated from the post? *****************

As promised, my newest in Arduino toy.

Stats/BOM:
- modified Nerf N-Strike Elite XD
- DIYino Prime v1
- a stripe of 15 neopixel LED modules in 3sections (12 for barrel, 1 for main muzzle, 2 for stun/auxiliary barrel)
- 2 momentary switch (one reused from the toy gun, one home-made for the main trigger using a small spring)
- 2 lenses (normally used for Cree LEDs on star pcb, but a neopixel LED fits underneath perfectly)
- 2x 14500 3.7V batteries in parallel
- an Adafruit OLED 128x64 (used with 32 rows only due to memory limitations)
- 2 sound fonts from my other proprietary blaster board

Code can be found on GitHub (site under construction, I will add some photos about the build as well as more explanation):https://github.com/Protonerd/FX-BlasterOS]GitHub - Protonerd/FX-BlasterOS

Please forgive me my broken English and ignore my rantings, but hey, I know the bunch of you, you will anyway not listen to what I say and fast forward to the light show (which is perfectly OK, I do the same!)

Special thanks (again and again) to neskweek, the FX-BlasterOS is based to a very large extent on his LSOS
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j20hTjiBVxU"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Edited by RankAndFileTrooper
  • Like 4

For those who prefer to have a first quick impression without bothering too much about the technical details I made a shortened version only showing the effects.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DReCijuCF7A"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi there.  I have all of the board layed out on breadboard.  it is powering up and working.  How ever,  i am getting no sound.  yes.  It could be a faulty sound board or amp,  but i just wanted to check to see if the files on the sd card have to be in a folder or somthing,  I see from the images that you have 2 arduino files on the card.  Where do they come from.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Hi there.  I have all of the board layed out on breadboard.  it is powering up and working.  How ever,  i am getting no sound.  yes.  It could be a faulty sound board or amp,  but i just wanted to check to see if the files on the sd card have to be in a folder or somthing,  I see from the images that you have 2 arduino files on the card.  Where do they come from.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Which sound board are you using?

• 3 weeks later...

hi everybody.

I am now having a small issue with the startup sound.  If i run the blaster from usb i get the startup sound,  but if i use the external battery, i dont get the startup sound.  I this somthing that anybody else has encountered.

thanks

Nick

Below is a link to a picture of my work in progress

http://stridershouse.ddns.net/index.php/s/YhgkNXjbH3dmfn1

Edited by stridershouse

• 3 weeks later...

under many request to re-up the gone pictures posted in the early pages of this forum, i decided to start a facebook page where i published all the schematics and pictures about this project

this is the address

https://www.facebook.com/fxblasterarduino

to view the schematics at max resolution, on every picture you need to select "option" and then "download" (it works only if you have joined facebook)

Edited by skyone
  • Like 2

It's crazy!!! If I would have known that you were going to publish all these treasures I would have waited with the assembly of my newest E11. There are simply sooooo many excellent ideas! I love the way you've put electronics in the Hengster box and completely made it from scratch. That I will copy in my next build! And the whole assembly simply rocks, never saw such a clean E11! I personally like it way better than those excavated, lifeless (i.e. electronic-less) WWII memorabilia...

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening fellow troopers!

When i saw the project that Skyone has invented, i just knew i had to give it a try myself. Just, Awesome!

I'm hoping to install this into my Sterling AEG -to- E11 blaster modification.

Recently i've finished the wiring etc.. and checked if it would work.......nothing!

Currently unplugged everything and reïnstalled the components one-by-one. This time, the Arduino, MP3-player, amplifier+speakers, LED-Bargrapgh and status LED are functioning (kinda)

Thinking i might have made an mistake the first time, making connections that simply can't work.

No "magic smoke" so far so, how bad can it be? :)

post-30347-0-14024200-1486500711_thumb.jpg