arduino: a cheap board for E11 blaster effects

i just uploaded a new code in the first page that supports this WT5001 sound module and also add some new features:

- long pressing of select button enter into radio mode, that means a loop mp3 file with stormtroopers voices (i used the one from the legion website) tha's a nice feature i think when you keep your blaster in the holster

- a welcome voice of vader when turn on the blaster

you need the sound files as i uploaded in the microsd card in orfer to make it works (pm me)

also, after copied in the microsd card it needs to be ordered again or it will not work correctly. For that purpose i use a very simple software:

http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort/

Edited by skyone

I like the play random TK voice's, Nice work   :jc_doublethumbup:

I seem to get this error with the code ?

e11_ver_04_02L_WT5001.ino:306:33: error: invalid suffix "cvf00" on integer constant

I like the play random TK voice's, Nice work   :jc_doublethumbup:

I seem to get this error with the code ?

e11_ver_04_02L_WT5001.ino:306:33: error: invalid suffix "cvf00" on integer constant

yea sorry i mistyped something in the code now i reupload the right one (i also added minor mods)

edit:

i added the code with radio mode (hold button) also for previous mp3 player WTM-SD (as mine) and it's working great :)

if you are going to update you will need the new mp3 files (pm me, or just add two files in folder advert02, named 013.mp3 for button sound, and 014.mp3 for radio stormtrooper chat, link in the first page)

Edited by skyone

Hi... I am trying to put this together...  Thank you so much for this Project.

Still waiting to receive some pieces but I need some assistance... (Sorry I know very Little about electronics)

In the led drivers... Do I have to install a 100uf capacitor ?? I dont see it in the components list.

Also in the led drivers... what doesthe symbol on the dim cable mean? ( the one that goes to d9 in arduino).

Again in the led drivers...whats the symbol after the led ??

Thanks !!

Still waiting to receive some pieces but I need some assistance... (Sorry I know very Little about electronics)

In the led drivers... Do I have to install a 100uf capacitor ?? I dont see it in the components list.

Also in the led drivers... what doesthe symbol on the dim cable mean? ( the one that goes to d9 in arduino).

Thanks !!

the 100uf capacitor is already included in the led driver. On the capacitor terminals you will connect positive and negative of the battery (the "minus" labeled on the capactitor shows wich one is anode and cathode).

the dim pin on the chip goes to the pin digital 9 of arduino

that way you can control the power and the brightness of the led

img9973.jpg

img9959nf.jpg

p1000869q.jpg

20148578_img_9969.jpg

Edited by skyone

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Great project - thanks for sharing and open sourcing

I used it as my first project with Arduino

I noticed a couple of things in your code (probably not important but...)

the random function never returns the max value - they define it as 'max exclusive'

For example the Vader startup is random(0,3) which will only give 0,1,2 (and if you use the helper functions below you can use random(60,63+1) and just play the resulting track number)

The other thing is that after a lot of looking I found a way to turn an int into a hex that seems to work for the MT5001 board (actually is easy once I found it) - I use the below function

//return hex from int
int intToHex(int i) {
  return 0x00 + i;
}

So then I can have a function that plays tracks counting in ints

//Play track number 'track' (passed as int and internally converted to hex as required by WT5001)
void wtPlayTrack (int track) {
  int trackHex = intToHex(track);
  //Send commands to device
  Serial.write(0x7E); //Start command
  Serial.write(0x04); //Data length
  Serial.write(0xA0); //A0 - play from SD card
  Serial.write(highByte(trackHex)); //Track number - high byte hex
  Serial.write(lowByte(trackHex));  //Track number - low byte hex
  Serial.write(0x7E); //End command
}

Probably not a big deal now that you are finished, but thought I'd mention it anyway

Cheers
ejb

Hi,

Great project - thanks for sharing and open sourcing

You are right, then it should work better a code like this

//return hex from int

int intToHex(int i) {

return 0x00 + i;
}

TrackCounter2 = random(60,64);  // play files random vader voice
    int trackHex = intToHex(TrackCounter2);

Serial.write(0x7E);
    Serial.write(0x04);
    Serial.write(0xA0); // A0 for SD card
    Serial.write(0x00); // high byte hex
    Serial.write(lowByte(trackHex));  //Track number - low byte hex
    Serial.write(0x7E);
Edited by skyone

• 1 month later...

Thanks !!

I'm also a bit confused in the same areas as Espaider...

He asked what the symbols on the schematic around the drivers are.  One looks like a square wave (the one on the dim cable to d9).  The other one looks like an inductor of some sort (100 microhenry).  As with the 100 microfarad cap, is the inductor on the driver board or does it need to be added?

Also, do you have pictures of "ready to pack" sub assemblies?  I'm trying to get an idea how the final assembly is done.  Most of the pictures seem to be test configurations.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

I'm advancing ...  But I'm having a problem ...  I don't know why, but it seems that the "firing" switch event is firing to often ...  When I click on the switch it sometimes fires 2-3 times, and also when releasing the switch.  Does someone have an idea ?

Besides the firing switch, I have the 10-led "battery charge" that works well, I added flashing when the bars disappear.  Very nice :-)  But It seems one of the led is not working correctly, it lighted up only one second.  All the solders seem correct.

I'm advancing ...  But I'm having a problem ...  I don't know why, but it seems that the "firing" switch event is firing to often ...  When I click on the switch it sometimes fires 2-3 times, and also when releasing the switch.  Does someone have an idea ?

try add a debounce time, i did for the selector switch but i didnt' for the fire button cause i didn't experience your problem

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Debounce

for the led not lighting, what is your power source? how many modules have you connected?

I forgot to mention it but that's exactly what I did just after I wrote my post, and now it works fine for the firing :-)

For the led my power source is usb. I just have the 10-led and a switch for firing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Skyone, your thread was the inspiration behind my ANH E-11 build. Your help via PM's, and the work in this thread was so helpful, that I doubt I could have pulled it off on my own.

Many thanks!

• Like 1