Old FX renovation

My good friend Wet Okole is the Outpost CO, an all around great guy, and an amazing costumer. Most of the new school troopers were clones, but lately, there is been a surge in TK's (and TB's!). Shaun wanted to get in the TK game, he had an FX years ago. He has been having a rough go of things lately, his mom is undergoing chemo for cancer, and he just did not have any extra cash for a new build. I knew of a costumer on Oahu who had a really old FX just sitting in the closet, and I knew if anyone could save it, it'd be my Outpost crew!

I contacted the costumer, he was asking $500 for the clapped out kit. It was all velcro and duct tape. They had spilt the battery pack so it would come apart for storage, and had rivets in crazy places! I let him keep the helmet, and swapped sold old costume pieces I had for the rest. I bought a MTK kit and a cloth belt for his birthday :)

The guys spent many nights scraping off the velcro goo, and polishing it up. I wish they had taken photos of how bad it was! Shaun is only 5'4", and they were able to trim off most of the rivet areas. They changed the buttons, added side shims, and most of the EIB details. The chest was trimmed back, and I think they are going to heat it. There are three troopings this weekend, so they wanted to get it ready to go.

Feel free to give any tips, I will pass them on!

w7t1Jtt.jpg

opYtOb2.jpg

2z7GbfG.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

Build looks good but.... Wet Okole?! I may be a haole but I know what that means!

Hahah! If I ever move back to Hawaii I'm going to have to get in touch with you guys (and gals!)

looks pretty good, the only minor thing i see is it looks like the bottom of the chest plate is resting on the top of the AB plate. if he moved it down just a hair it would help with mobility or possible cracking when moving around.

Yes, the seller was crazy thinking his old FX was worth $500. I swapped about $150 worth of stuff for it, so all told this is about a $350 budget build. And I forgot to mention Andy, but "Wet okole" means great seat covers! LOL! I want a set for my Mustang, but they cost as much as armor!

---------

You are right Mason, he realized he cut it about 1/2" shorter than he should've. He used a strap to hold it down, and will try to roll it in with heat.

The first trooping of the day is done (Prevent Child abuse teddy bear donations), and I'll have some photos soon!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Yes, the seller was crazy thinking his old FX was worth $500
i know, i have seen some really old pop riveted suits up on the bay and on garrison boards for 1000$+ the sad thing is new members are buying them :( i think because the old FX kits cost over 1000$ way back in the day?

Not sure if the $350 + cost of the MTK lid is worth it, but it's certainly a nice save on kit that might have landed in worse hands and not been properly taken care of.

All in all, good job :duim:

Not sure if the $350 + cost of the MTK lid is worth it, but it's certainly a nice save on kit that might have landed in worse hands and not been properly taken care of.

All in all, good job :duim:

No, $350 total cost. $150 for clapped out FX kit (traded costume bits), $140 (?) for helmet kit, $50 for boots, $20 for belt. He had a neck seal and gloves already, and the crew has lots of straps, snaps, and glue :)

It is a bargain basement trooper build! :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley::peace:B)

I think it's still a good deal. It also shows that with a little ingenuity how these old kits can be made to have new life in them. A great job all around and I got to thinking too, that this suit while a good TK may actually make a better SKY or ICN. Just a thought... :)

You of course are lovely, as always.

Anphrax - I highly recommend a trip to HI to hang with the Pacific Outpost. If I didn't have kids to get back to I'd have never left, and even then it was a hard decision.

Great work Pacific Outpost :salute:

And... now here's where I decide if I want to nit pick all over my CO's TK... I probably will... So thanks FiSD for making me a jerk in this situation LOL :)

If only there was only a genuine source for troopers in HI to acquire screen accurate armor :(

Aloha,

-Eric

I would lower the biceps and resize them smaller. Cut the butt plate, run some elastics at the base of the shoulder bells around the bicep.

Yes, the chest is cut too much. I dont think theres enough plastic for a return edge. If he wants my AM chest (the one in my AM thread, still mint with all the trimming and return edges done to it) I will offer it to him for free, just cover the shipping. :) Feel free to pm me.

No, $350 total cost. $150 for clapped out FX kit (traded costume bits), $140 (?) for helmet kit, $50 for boots, $20 for belt. He had a neck seal and gloves already, and the crew has lots of straps, snaps, and glue :)

It is a bargain basement trooper build! :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley::peace:B)

Ah! That's a lot better. :D

And here is why we did it :)

----------

The FX looks fine beside the other troopers. What a great looking crew :) (OK I am biased, but I love the Outpost!)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Shaun actually looks pretty good, and good on you Julie for doing this for him. :salute:

As for the overtrimmed chestplate, I think he could adjust for that by pulling it down some and as a result, pulling up the back plate. There is plenty of overlap between his back and kidney, and some simple strapping adjustments could help resolve two problems with one solution. :)