ATA vs RT-mod helmet?

Hey everybody I am in the process of ordering my AM armor but I am looking for a helmet to go with it and I am stuck between these two (ATA, RT). My funds are semi-limited so I would like the cheapest option. But I also have a big head about 7 3/8ths with a 18.5-to 19in neck. I am asking because I thought I read on here, but couldn't find, a thread with the guy having the same problem. I want to have something to do while I wait for the armor. Also would either of these or the AM armor limit me from doing a ANH stunt?

Thanks in advance,

Kendall

Hi Kendall, The rt-mod helmet is a good choice and while you are at it get the rt-mod chest and back armor,it looks better than the am chest and back.

+1 :jc_doublethumbup:

I own the ATA helmet and really love it, but with your dimensions for your head and kneck I would go with the RT bucket. Also as nick stated you may want to consider going with the RT chest and back. If you plan on pushing your build to EI or Centurion standard it will save you time and modification down the road.

I own an RT helmet... and I wish I had a more screen accurate one with all the warts and bumps. I don't think the RT helmet is significantly bigger for fit... but it scaled a little larger for larger troopers. My guess is that the ATA is probably cheaper unless you can convince Rob to sell you an unassembled helmet.

And yes... +1 on replacing the AM chest and back.

Aloha,

-Eric

I've got a RT-mod helmet too. My hat size is the same as yours and it fits just fine. The RT is made to be something like 4% or 5% bigger scale to balance out the look of someone larger than your standard trooper. I don't know much about ATA but I hear good things. :)

the am chest mod is pretty simple but making the backplate look more screen accurate takes quite a bit of work (heating and stretching the plastic).

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Thanks, dashrazor. So would the back 'stretching' be mandatory for EIB/Centurion, or does it depend on how it fits the wearer? I had seen the chest mod but was hoping it wouldn't be necessary for me (long torso)...but I'd have to have the armor on to see (and post pics here for everyone's feedback).

You definitively want to go with RT chest and back if you want to go centurion. It's not required, but in all honesty it's more work than it's worth to make it work if you can't fit any other option.

Wow thanks for all the advice guys! Since I am still starting out I am not even thinking about anything beyond EIB. If that is the farthest I want to go with this armor would I still be able to do that with the AM without doing the mods? Also I am glad to hear all the good reviews for both sides. Anybody have the contact info/ price for the two helmets?

I am also assuming the individual chest pieces would be hard to find wondering if I should just go with RT-mod full kit since there isn't a huge difference between that and AM, besides price that is. Speaking of which anybody know how much RT full kits are going for?

Contact the seller directly for pricing. A complete RT mod is far more accurate and less work for Eib than AM.

Agreed. Less work all around to make it fit no matter your body size. Outside of the AM chest wackyness it really is made for a very stout trooper which may cause you to trim the crap out of it creating more work for yourself than buying an untrimmed kit.

Lang: What's your height and waist size if you don't mind me asking?

My 2 cents?

Go with ATA. I have RT full kit and really want to get the more screen acurate lid. I just don't like the flat frown of the RT...there...I'm all out of cents!

Rob fixed the frown btw. They look like proper chicklets now... and I think he's doing stuff like green lenses etc. I don't regret my RT bucket... but I eventually do want a more screen accurate one.

Aloha,

-Eric

Agreed. Less work all around to make it fit no matter your body size. Outside of the AM chest wackyness it really is made for a very stout trooper which may cause you to trim the crap out of it creating more work for yourself than buying an untrimmed kit.

Lang: What's your height and waist size if you don't mind me asking?

Rob fixed the frown btw. They look like proper chicklets now... and I think he's doing stuff like green lenses etc. I don't regret my RT bucket... but I eventually do want a more screen accurate one.

Aloha,

-Eric

I'm like 5'9 with a 38in waist and I have bigger arms and chest from lifting weights if that makes a difference. I originally set my mind on AM because a few other members on here are around the same size and problem.

I'm like 5'9 with a 38in waist and I have bigger arms and chest from lifting weights if that makes a difference. I originally set my mind on AM because a few other members on here are around the same size and problem.

Here are measurements from Rob of RT of the "max" circumfrence that will fit into his kit:

• Thigh - 27"
  • Calve - 17"
  • Bicep - 16.5"
  • Forearm - 13.5"
  • Abdomen - 42"

I have a 38" waist and maybe 44ish to 46ish chest (its been so long since I've had to buy a suit jacket and formal aloha shirts aren't sized by chest) and fit into my RT nicely.

It might be best to email Rob and ask him what he thinks. He may be able to ask you to send various measurements to see if RT-MOD is right for you. If not maybe shim up an ATA kit... or do the work needed to fit into AM and buy a chest and back from RT?

I hope this helps more than it confuses.

Aloha,

-Eric

Got an e-mail from rob yesterday and sadly It would be very close to fit but I would probably not fit. But I have decided to go with an RT helmet but want to go ESB with it I am thinking. Thanks for all the input you guys are awesome!