g2IhHTj.png

egSzeo2.png

From the DL

FISD In 2012: A Guide To The Forum Upgrades

Launching The Fire Teams

Trooping Saint Patrick's Day

The Few, The Proud: Trooping In The Face Of Discouragement

Celebration Six: Will Your TK Be Ready?

All Patched Up: How Did You Display Your 5th Anniversary Patch?

Trooper of the Month

Swag Alert

oWguNzr.png

tR3UiG6.png

Greetings Troops!

First off, I would like to address the currently ongoing Detachment polls and discussions. These are open to all 501st members.

This is a poll/discussion to see how the TK community feels about our minimum standards:

Members opinions on TK costuming standards POLL .

This is to gather general statistics on what armor/helmets TK's are wearing:

The 2012 What armor are you wearing poll

On the Detachment level for TK's only, we have 2 proposed requirement changes that are up for open discussion. Here are the links:

Holster Basic Requirements Discussion

Belt Requirements for Basic Standards Discussion

Both of these discussions will go to vote shortly, so be sure to watch these threads. If you wish to participate in the poll or discussion, this is where your voice will be heard..

Also, the FISD has adopted new forum rules to better protect and serve the general membership to make the forums a better place for all members.

FISD Net-Etiquette DOs and DON'Ts (supplemental Rules)

NOTICE: If anyone is noticing any problems with our website or cannot log in as normal do not worry. We are currently in the process of moving the FISD to a new home. There may be periods of time that the FISD may be down, but rest assured our web team is on it so don't panic. If you notice any major problems, please post them in the Tech Support Center.

With unquestioned loyalty,

Mason Carson

TK-4603 "dashrazor"

Detachment Leader

oWguNzr.png

Many of you will already have noticed, but the FISD Forum has a brand new skin for 2012. Those of you who simply use the default skin or log on and off irregularly will notice as soon as you arrive, but for those of you who have chosen a skin from the skin changer menu in the bottom left hand corner of the page you will need to manually select FISD 2012 to see the changes. Anyone as crazy as me who leaves FISD open 24/7 on their desktop may need to refresh or empty your caches to see the changes and get the full new experience - but more on that later.

As I always do, let me start by saying that the upgrade path is always fraught with surprises and a learning curve, so while we have done our best to stay on top of any glitches or bugs as more and more people start using it who knows what new issues might be discovered buried deep in the bowels of the Death Star, so feel free to post any oddities you may experience here.

If you are not seeing the new skin after refreshing (nicknamed Steel) you may need to empty your cache. This is easily done. Most browsers have an empty cache function either under program name drop down in the top left (as with Safari) or as part of the "Clear Browser Data" menu (as with Chrome or Firefox).

The changes in 2012 are mostly cosmetic and won't require the learning curve of last years update but it is worth mentioning that the Login window now supports autosave - no more time spent retyping your name and password every time you show up! Now you can let your browser autofill for you.

The other great upgrade is the "Also Tagged With" function. This means that any topic you read that shares tags with another topic will have a content listing at the bottom of the page pointing you quickly to other topics covering the same subject matter. This will make finding as may posts as possible on any given subject easier and help you to gain the largest wealth of knowledge possible in each area. It's also a great reason to make sure you use the tag function found just below the headline input when you post a new topic - its amazing how much information can be gleaned simply by reading multiple topics on what seem to similar subjects.

In order to protect ourselves against any potential issues we have left the '2011.2' and the '2011.White' skins as selectable options in the skin changer for the time being. However this is simply to grandfather them out and I suggest you switch to 2012 as soon as possible.

We are always endeavouring to make The 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Department Forum friendlier, better and easier to use and we count on our members feedback to keep improving. If you have any questions or issues with the update be sure to post them here or in the Tech Centre so we can be aware of them and keep FISD the best possible forum experience for all our users.

Lucas Bowers

"ZeroRoom"

Detachment Webmaster

oWguNzr.png

At FISD Attache HQ, we try to get Troopers more involved with the FISD. So we looked at what other detachments have done to help with this. We liked what we found. For a while, the debate focused on what to call ourselves, but we finally settled on Fire Team. We wrote guidelines, and here they are.

The Fire Team program is completely optional, and is intended to help form a common identity and spirit of camaraderie among 501st Legion stormtroopers in the same geographic area/garrison that troop together.

Fire Teams are not officially recognized by the 501st Legion nor the FISD, although they will be able to access a Fire Team sub-forum on the detachment website. Because Fire Teams are unofficial groups, they cannot have any 501st or FISD markings, including 501st Legion, 501st, Legion logos, Vader's Fist etc. on their branding or logos. However, Teams will be allowed to use any unique markings at informal events provided they follow these guidelines.

Guidelines

• No 501st or FISD markings. Period.
  • Any active Legion member with a valid stormtrooper costume in the specified geographic area can join.
  • The Team can create a name, logo, backstory, etc. for itself (names usually contain Fire Team, though this isn't required).
  • A list of each Team (with their specific "Teams Name") with a current list their members will be kept in the Fire Team sub-forum on the Detachment website.
  • A Team member must troop at least twice per year to maintain status as a member. Two or more Team members must troop together once per year to keep the group active.

Merchandising

• Again, no 501st or FISD markings.
  • Merchandising will only be limited by the imagination of the Fire Team.
  • Any merchandising should be submitted to the detachment, or through proper Legion channels.
  • A master list of all Fire Team merchandise (with photos) will be posted in the Fire Team sub-forum.
  • If any of these guidelines are violated, the group will be disbanded.

Teams will be able access sub-forums for Fire Teams, make merchandising for their group, choose a name for them and even come up with a story for their Team. Teams are completely optional; the whole idea is to help form a unique common identity for 501st Legion stormtroopers.

Long live FISD, and long live the Empire!

Luis Diaz

TK7164"Bobojuice"

Provost Marshal

Jeff Diamond

TK5147 "darthyagi"

Imperial Propaganda Department [iPM]

oWguNzr.png

For the month of March, the St. Patrick’s Day is big celebration for anyone Irish and Irish in spirit. St. Patrick’s Day Parades are a tradition as part of the day’s celebration, and “let me tell ya Laddy, it’s more than a wee bit o’ fun†trooping for the 501st Legion!

Here are some highlights of some of the 501st marching in their local St. Patrick’s Day Parades.

Boston, MA: New England Garrison;

With Unquestioned Loyalty,

Tom Gardner

TK-5940 "RogueTrooper"

FISD Executive Officer

oWguNzr.png

For many of us, being a member of the 501st Legion is easy. But what makes something so enjoyable become even better is when someone that we care about or someone whose opinion matters to us: A significant other or group of friends who are supportive of our hobby. Comments and compliments on what we do can go a long way towards influencing us to continue on, or even grow in, this organization.

However, we can't all be lucky enough to have someone that shows an interest.

Two potential Stormtroopers have been just in the past month due to the lack of support or cutting comments of people close to them. Two possible members of the Legion gone because of someone else's inability to understand something that interested them.

If you are being made to feel silly for wanting to be a Stormtrooper, ask the person this: Who am I hurting by wanting to do this? Who am I helping?

Yes, we are adults who play "plastic space man" on the weekends. But that's an overly simple way to look at it. How many of us have experienced something we never would have if we weren't a member of the 501st Legion? Being on stage in front of thousands of people in costume, taking part in the opening ceremony at a sporting event, meeting childhood heroes... or being allowed into a hospital for the sole reason of making children smile?

What we do brings happiness to so many, and raises money each year for those less fortunate than us and does towards great causes. We just happen to be able to live out our childhood dreams while doing it. This can't be a bad thing, and we need to encourage those potential members who aren't getting the support from certain friends or family members. Show them the worldwide brotherhood (and sisterhood) that the 501st Legion has become. Be proud to be a stormtrooper. Be proud of all the joy and happiness that you bring to others serving with the 501st.

That after all, isn't that what this is all about?

Rob Kingman

TK-7545 "MattBlack"

FISD Command Staff

Erich Shafer

TK-6124 "AdamScottFM"

Public Relations Officer

oWguNzr.png

August 23 thru 26 of this year marks the sixth time that a convention dedicated solely for the Galaxy far, far Away will be held, and the second time at the Orange County Convention Center in Florida . The past Star Wars Celebrations have been, not only the largest gathering of Star Wars fans, but some of the largest for the 501st Legion.

6xNHN1B.jpg

Ewx1QUg.jpg

XvjtQlP.jpg

You may have been to a Star Wars Celebration before, but if you have not attended as a 501st member, then you truly have missed out on the camaraderie and the all fun that you will find as a Legion member.

vwzcGyg.jpg

There are 136 days until the doors open for Star Wars Celebration 6 in Orlando, Florida. Now, at the present the time, Celebration 6 seems like it is far far, away….. But, really if you factor in time for ordering a new kit, replacement parts, and accessories, this may cut down your time to work on your TK. You don’t want to end up at the last days trying to finish your Stormtrooper. This is where you start cutting corners and making critical mistakes that you will regret and have to go back and fix later….

Will your TK armor be ready???? You want to look your best! You do not want to end up looking like these guys when you attend Celebration 6:

AMJbHHm.png

Here are some helpful tips that will make this an easier process. Make a check list and work off of it. Use screen grabs as reference. Use the massive amount of information found on the FISD and the TK Information Post to help when faced with questions about working on and modifying your armor. Set daily and weekly goals. Do not try to do everything on the weekends. If you do a little work on your TK everyday, (even if it is only 30 minutes to an hour) then you will be able to focus on the details, which will make for a better looking, fitting and better built suit of armor. One last thing, have fun with your build or upgrades.

I hope to see you all in great looking sets of Stormtrooper armor, ready to storm the grand halls of Celebration 6, looking for those Rebel scums, while having your photograph taken by thousands of Star Wars fans!!!!!!! May your build be with you….

Tom Gardner

TK-5940 "RogueTrooper"

FISD Executive Officer

oWguNzr.png

Last year was the 5th Anniversary for the FISD, and to commemorate this special occasion, a 10 inch patch was designed and made. For several months the FISD members have been waiting in anticipation for theirs to arrive. Last month all the pre-orders were shipped out. We have been getting some member showing off how they proudly display their FISD 5th Anniversary patches. Below are some highlights.

Pix by Morten Alrø "Arnie_DK" TK7995 of his patches:

X0voJBp.jpg

Pic by Tom Gardner "RogueTrooper" TK5940 framed patch:

rLqJrnJ.jpg

Those look impressive, most impressive!!!

Also, there are a few 5th Anniversary patches left for purchase, so if you want one, do not wait, because supplies are limited...... Here is the link if you want one:http://forum.whitear...showtopic=18944

Tom Gardner

TK-5940 "RogueTrooper"

FISD Executive Officer

oWguNzr.png

LIcEQCj.png

Ladyinwhite

Name:Ingrid

501st ID:6818

501st Unit:Southern California

EIB: ANH

What qualities do we look for to be named a TK of the Month? If you asked us in between newsletters I doubt we could make a definitive list. The staff usually knows when we see them. By being named TKoM Ladyinwhite made me ponder the attributes that not only qualifies Igrid but exemplifies the FISD credo of "Troopers Helping Troopers." We think Igrid typifies what it means to be a part of the FISD community.

The words "infectious enthusiasm" have been used to describe Igrid's online demeanor. In the parlance of my island home, she spreads Imperial Aloha in an articulate, thoughtful, and often laugh provoking way. Ingrid's brand of enthusiasm is more than basic excitement. Her dedication to FISD seems rooted in her kokua, a complex Hawaiian word for respect by extending your help selflessly to others. Ingrid's kokua comes from another Hawaiian concept of kuleana. As a non-Hawaiian I struggle to properly define kuleana. Put simply, it is your sense of responsibility or your calling to give back. Igrid's costume kuleana is promoting the 501st and spreading the basic tenets of FISD. Making her a FISD attaché for her garrison seemed only natural.

Even if she were not all those Hawaiian things, Igrid wrote a 39 page document detailing her build titled "LadyInWhite’s Build Guide (with tips for women, by women)" That alone would nominate her for TKoM. If you have ever done any writing at all you may understand the time and effort it took Igrid to create it. A PDF copy that can be downloaded here. Look for a version on the FISD wiki soon.

In addition to helping others be the best looking TK they can be Igrid has caught the FISD bug of never being satisfied with her kit. Her unending, and hilariously self deprecating, pursuit of perfecting her armor should earn your respect as it did ours.

On top of dedication to our little corner of the web Igrid has been "trooping up a storm" of late. In between hockey games, family, life and time spent on FISD, she managed to attend a few troops a short period of time that most of us only dream about.

Igrid is here on FISD as well as out in the real world making a difference. Our buckets are off to you :smiley-sw013:

Eric Brager

TK-9674 "DarthAloha"

Chief Tactical Officer

oWguNzr.png

An exciting announcement for all you swag junkies!!!!!!!!!!! The FISD, Spec Ops and MEPD are working together to design cross Detachments merchandise that will encompass all three (TK, TX, TD) armor clad imperial solders!

Right now, the first two ideas are on the designing board, which are a patch and coin! We are hoping to have them ready by Celebration 6, with some other Impressive, most impressive cross Detachment swag coming soon after…..So, keep your Imperial com open so you don’t miss out!

Here are some other FISD merch still available:

EIB Gold Challenge Coin (13 left) http://forum.whitear...showtopic=15729

kWu3TZ5.jpg

2012 FISD Calendars (4 left) http://forum.whitear...showtopic=18149

http://traynichols.com/501st/fisd/FISD-CAL.jpg

FISD Mugs: http://forum.whitear...showtopic=13911

YcfMMCF.jpg

Coming soon FISD Lapel pins......There will be only 200 of this. Some members are already saying they are wanting to purchase 5 to 10 at a time, soooo.... this will not be around for very long.........

7Y4qVu1.jpg

oWguNzr.png

Don't Forget We're on Facebook and Twitter!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitearmor

Twitter: www.twitter.com/@FISD501st

Erich Shafer

TK-6124 "AdamScottFM"

Public Relations Officer

On behalf of the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Command Staff.

End Transmission.

oWguNzr.png

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Wow! Another great newsletter, and so informative. I loved the St. P-Day parade videos and pics.

Congratulations to Ingrid and well deserved! I get so inspired by the stories and will definately share

my joy and starwars pride with others at cons and troops.

Wow. :icon_eek:I'm honored and, well, my husband says this makes me "Worst Wife of the Month." Meh, who needs him. I have a new family. Thank you so much! Awesome pic, Eric, I'm going to post that in my office.

Great newsletter - love to see what's going on around the planet. I am not going to miss out on any St Patricks fun next year! This year I blame WonderCon.

I think I need to order another patch, because those displays all gave me new ideas! One is simply not enough. I need to frame one next to my framed EI certificate. (I don't even have my two college diplomas framed, how ironic is that!?)