opinions on Styrene helmets...

dead_horse.gif

I think this subject has been covered eleventy billion times.

Here's a little something I'll be posting on my future website...enjoy:

"TE2 helmets should not be used for any contact sport. TE2 helmets should not be worn in lieu of motorcycle, scooter, or moped helmets. Do not operate any vehicle or any machinery while wearing TE2 helmets and body armor.

TE2 helmets offer a limited field of vision. Always use a stormtrooper handler in well lighted locations. Never troop alone.

Serious bodily injury or death may result from the misuse of TE2 helmets and body armor. TE2 helmets and body armor will not protect wearer from blunt object trauma. TE2 armor should not be used as a protective body covering against live ammunition. TE2 armor will only deflect an indirect Grade 2 laser blast of short duration.

TE2 armor should not be used as a personal flotation device. TE2 armor should not be used as protection from tornado, hurricane, cyclone, or tsunami. Do not use during earthquake.

TE2 armor will not protect wearer from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B virus (HBV), or the super strain hepatitis H virus from Thailand. TE2 armor will not protect wearer from sexually transmitted diseases. TE2 armor will not prevent pregnancy.

TE2 armor is not meant as a substitute for human companionship. Do not use while sleeping or unconscious. Do not use in bath or shower. Do not use near fire, flame, or sparks.

For display purposes only.

If you do not understand, or cannot read, all directions, cautions and warnings, do not use this product."

T :salute:

Hey Aaron - where does the brittle bit come in? The reason I ask is that I have two TE2's and not had any issue with either of them at all.

Jason - do some more research and if you can try to find one to look at in person. There are lots of TE(2) buckets being trooped in.

Like Paul says, He's happy with his and has no problem with it. Vinyl or alluminum siding? whopper or a bigmack?

I'd say go to troops and see what they're wearing. Ask if you can touch. Read the board.

Personally I like ABS when it comes to the TK costume. It's easy to keep polished shiny white and you don't have to paint it.

I would like to add----------- so there's a bit more weight to it than just my opinion. Basic styrene isn't as resilient as ABS. HIPS is better. Especially stuff that has the rubberizing compound mixed in. The numbers are on that site. :)

--Jonah

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Peregrinus said:
I would like to add-----------so there's a bit more weight to it than just my opinion. Basic styrene isn't as resilient as ABS. HIPS is better. Especially stuff that has the rubberizing compound mixed in. The numbers are on that site. :)

--Jonah

True enough, but how much resilience do you really need? We're talking about a costume, not an industrial application. Look, HIPS is not as resilient as ABS we all know that. But HIPS is certainly resilient enough for regular trooping. How else do you explain all of us with TE(2) armor trooping for years?

Edited by gmrhodes13

Well thanks for all the opinions so far...I am only asking because I was offered a TE.,..not a TE2 helmet in styrene...just wondering if its worth it to grab. I know they look amazing from what I have seen in the forums with photos, I just want it to last. And Gunz, I dont plan on doing any human canon ballin in it either..thanks.

One thing about Styrene is it yellows pretty badly as well, in a substantially short amount of time compared to ABS. My ABS after 7 years is still eye popping white. Just dont let either one sit and bake in the sun...

Well thanks for all the opinions so far...I am only asking because I was offered a TE.,..not a TE2 helmet in styrene...just wondering if its worth it to grab. I know they look amazing from what I have seen in the forums with photos, I just want it to last. And Gunz, I dont plan on doing any human canon ballin in it either..thanks.

Hey Aaron - where does the brittle bit come in? The reason I ask is that I have two TE2's and not had any issue with either of them at all.

Jason - do some more research and if you can try to find one to look at in person. There are lots of TE(2) buckets being trooped in.

I guess brittle was the wrong word. I don't think styrene is as rugged as ABS. I've worked with styrene and ABS, and the styrene tears up a lot easier than ABS.

I don't know, like I said it's just my opinion.

I guess brittle was the wrong word. I don't think styrene is as rugged as ABS. I've worked with styrene and ABS, and the styrene tears up a lot easier than ABS.

I don't know, like I said it's just my opinion.

Actually that's been my experience so far - it's certainly more prone to tearing at stress points than ABS.

Triktoys - non-gloss HIPS armor is painted so I'd think if there was a yellowing issue it would be with the paint, no? Or does it yellow through the paint? Or do you mean the glossy HIPS? I haven't had mine long enough to find out, and figured I'd just repaint if it if ever got bad, but I'm curious to know what to expect.

All Altmanns Armour is Styrene and from personal experiance with the Scout bucket and Armour, i can defiantly say that it is prone to cracking on the stress points and when a crack starts, there is no way to repair it. I have never dropped my helmet, and don't ever plan too, but if i did I am almost positive a new crack would form if hit on the wrong place, like an edge or corner. However I recently did walk into a Tree recently on a photo shoot (No Tree hugging Scout Jokes guys and gals ok) and no damage was caused. left a nice weathering mark though.

But that said, it is a lite helmet, looks great and due to the ability of styrene to be pulled sharper, it is a great medium for making armour out of.

Take a look at how much weight Brian put in his TE2:

------------

Still going strong after 2+ years of trooping, and Brian troops a lot.

Edited by gmrhodes13

*Yawn* Unless you are a terrible klutz or don't store your helmet properly the amount of stress your bucket takes should be somewhere around zero. It just sits on your head! :lol: ABS is fine, but usually too thick to be detailed. HIPS pulls better detail even when its thicker. Whatever you prefer, but either one will suit you for trooping. Any yellowing issues are moot, as you'll be painting HIPS. ABS can yellow too, but if that happens you can always paint it. Anyhow TE only made a few ABS kits, so if you want one of his its going to be HIPS unless you can come across one of the <10 that weren't.