What makes an ROTJ stormtrooper

Here are some off the top of my head:

1. Black "frown" instead of grey

2. Different hand plates

3. Different shoulder bells

4. Different blasters

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure the ear pieces on the ROTJ were narrower. Of course the obvious difference is the edges of the suit having that extra trim. Also, was'nt the ab plate plain white in ROTJ? Another small difference is the grey areas on the helmet I think were a different shade of grey, and the black lines on the cheeks are different as well. Oh, and are'nt the shoulder straps made differently as well? I know they started using stickers for the tube stripes and grey areas too(ear pieces were hand painted).

• 1 month later...

I also believe the ANH hero helmet had green bubble lenses as well...

there also seem to be 4 air holes under the lenses on top of the decals.

and they also had diffrent boots.

Storm_2.jpg

Stormtrooper_Paris008.jpg

rotjtrooper.jpg

Storm_4.jpg

Here are some shots if we need more i will screah my computer because it is loaded with Starwars pics :lol:

I also believe the ANH hero helmet had green bubble lenses as well...

Do you have a screen shot of this? My understanding is that the ANH hero were smoke bubble only, while the stunt were flat green.

The pics G has posted are of a 'tour suit' and not an ROTJ.Only the tour suit's had the holes under the eyes and the boots were very similar to the original ANH,with elastic sides and not zips.Another tour suit 'tell' is the vinyl shoulder straps that are riveted to the chest.The ROTJ's had vac formed plastic shoulder straps ane were velcro'd to the chest and back plates.I've also heard that the tour suit's were made from Kydex as opposed to the ABS(?) for the ROTJ's :)

Speaking of tour suits, my bud just went to OMSI to see the Star Wars exhibit and he said the TK on display was just horrid. Nothing you'd be caught dead trooping in, and probably wouldn't pass 501st quality standards. Doh!

• 2 months later...

Kinda crappy screen caps, but it works till i get a DVD for my computer...

Hope these help a little on standards. First thing i see id the molding around the armor, and the butt plate seems to be bigger, going around farther. There is a slight gap between. some shots show no TD. Bells are a little narrower, and of course the hands are diffrent.

Better shots would be great, but alas the best i can do. :(

IMG_1398.jpg

Molding on both upper and lower, cloth belt, no TD

IMG_1397.jpg

small gap, rounded back

IMG_1396.jpg

no "tear" stripes

IMG_1402.jpg

cod "buttons?"

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

I suspect the lack of TD is more an error or to make that stunt easier. I watched the same scene yesterday and did note the belt that is much skinnier. These are great ref shots of the trim btw :)

For the butt - it does look different - I'd think we'd

vote on that as a separate detail.

Great job :)

Speaking of tour suits, my bud just went to OMSI to see the Star Wars exhibit and he said the TK on display was just horrid. Nothing you'd be caught dead trooping in, and probably wouldn't pass 501st quality standards. Doh!

Tour suits are pieces of junk, they don't depict the real armor very well at all, if you have ever had a chance to view one in person NOT THROUGH GLASS!, actually touch them and see what they are made out of, and what is under the armor, you would agree with me, they are junk! I don't believe that many of the actual suits from the movie exist any more, besides the tour suits were made so that they are not able to be worn buy anyone which shows in the armor, in case one was stollen.

just observations from someone who has seen and inspected one in person :)

Tour suits are pieces of junk, they don't depict the real armor very well at all, if you have ever had a chance to view one in person NOT THROUGH GLASS!, actually touch them and see what they are made out of, and what is under the armor, you would agree with me, they are junk! I don't believe that many of the actual suits from the movie exist any more, besides the tour suits were made so that they are not able to be worn buy anyone which shows in the armor, in case one was stollen.

just observations from someone who has seen and inspected one in person :)

I saw the touring suit at the OMSI exhibit in Portland and I thought the quality and construction was pretty shoddy compared to my early FX suit. Go ahead and replicate what was on screen but at least ensure the quality of construction withstands just a few minutes screen time which the original suits were designed for.

the arm and leg pieces were overlapped not butted as ANH were and the butt and kidney is all one piece. also the helmet itself is less asymetric, totally differs in shape to ANH and ESB in my mind. and as mentioned tha belt is definately some kind of cloth or elastic.

The belts are made from poly webbing and about 2" wide.I have lots of photos that I took of the tour suit in London at the Barbican center in '99 (I think :P ).It was a bit battered but so was the other one I saw in Sheffield which was the one that was sold at Christies in '97.The tour suit's were made from same moulds as the original ROTJ moulds,though some are definately bad recast's especially the one on show at Disney.

The butt plates are the same as ANH really,just formed as one piece with the kidney plate.The corners of the kidney are rounded off and the butt only looks rounded off due to the vinyl edging.

Also,notice how the armour is squashing where Han is grabbing it in the screen shots...very soft and flexible if you ask me.

Also,notice how the armour is squashing where Han is grabbing it in the screen shots...very soft and flexible if you ask me.

Any chance since RTOJ had a real budget they made stunt suits for the action scenes?

Just an idea.

Any chance since RTOJ had a real budget they made stunt suits for the action scenes?

Just an idea.

Yeah, i would think that alot of these suits were thin as to save on cost of material, plus they weren't being made for durability, they were made to survive for about 2 - 3 months at the most, then melted down, and recycled into other props :(

• 8 months later...

After all these months of building and studying ROTJ armor, there are a few more items I'd like to add to the list :)

*The cod piece is triangular in shape not round like the FX cod

*The belt plate is plain with no "buttons" such as found on the ANH belt plate

*The corners of the belt plate are not clipped, they are left square

*The Belt plate does not have much of a border to it, and is trimmed very close

*The belt plate is fastened with 1 visible rivet on each side, this rivet is also affixed to the ab plate

*The holster is worn on the right side, and is attached to the belt with 2 rivets just under the center of the belt,

*The leather straps that are used to attach the holster to the belt are about 6" long and made of black dyed leather

*The chest plate and back late are attached to eachother with plastic ribbed pieces, there is no existence of the smooth ends to them like the ANH ones, and they also do not have much of a border to them like their ANH counterparts

*The drop boxes are attached to the belt with White material that ranges in length from 1/4" to 1 & 3/4" long depending on which trooper you are portraying

*The Sniper plate could be attached to the shin with rivets

*The Lower Thigh Plate can also be attached with rivets and does not have much of a border to it also it is trimmed smooth very similar to the ROTJ belt plate

*The ab plate is one piece and is not cut

*The ab buttons are Black with three "dark" midnight blue buttons

*The Button boxes should be molded into the ab plate, but I don't know anyone who does this

*Besides all the other differences that the ROTJ helmet has it also has a narrow look to it, that is really hard to simulate with a helmet made to look ANH

This is all I can think of off the top of my head right now :unsure: But I do hope that all of my trials/errors, frustrations, and knowledge that I have built from this build will inspire more people to take a crack at building 100% screen authentic ROTJ armor, I look at it as building armor and not just a cistume...its not that hard, it obviously was for me, because nobody had ever done this before with this kind of accuracy...Now it should be easier for the next Elite ROTJ to do their build :trooper::salute:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...