Isaac's AM build - newbie- picture heavy[*AM]

I've seen that pic before and its funny just how much I miss when looking up ref photos. I think its probably because Im still only 3 months into owning a suit but I honestly walk out into my garage and start working on it and get caught up in the

"this is so COOL... I have a Stormtrooper!!!!!!"

that I forget everything I had looked at.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mike!

Working on the belt tonight and will probably finish it at the armor party next weekend.

Except for the thermal det since I can't find the PVC around here and don't want to spend 100 bucks on it.

The closer you get to thinking your finished the more you realize still needs to be done. Little small things and tweaks that are just as time consuming can go on for months. I have completely redone my strapping over the last two weeks and just now happy with it. Still waiting to do my first troop, I wont troop until everything is 100%... Right now I'm in a holding pattern until I get my fan battery boxes and belt clips from Jesse.

Edited by NastyNoah

you told me you used something called Cutlery Rivets or something that you picked up at Ace Hardware. How exactly do they press together? Do you need a special tool or can you press them closed with pliers or something?

Noah- so true! I've been at this "inch here.... Move this left..." stage for a few weeks.

The cutlery rivets are two pieces. One with a flange and post and then the 2nd with a flange and female post that goes over the other half. Looks like a small top hat. I put them together and hammer the hat onto the post and it locks.

Hope that makes sense

Right on! Glad you started your build!

If I can pull this off, then anyone can. When I started this whole thing I was going to build a tie fighter pilot because it wasn't as hard to build.

The problem was I always found myself on the FISD boards watching builds and thinking I would never fit a TK. I'm just too wide... I'm too fat... Insert any of 30 other excuses here.

But I wanted it so bad! I kept reading and saw what others before me had done and what might be options.

With some creative shimming I'm not only almost done but I'm still trying for not only basic approval but maybe EIB.

The moral of all of this is that you CAN do this. You'll have fun and meet some cool folks. You'll meet some jerks too (it's the Internet right). But if take your time you'll notice you move from "can I cut this"? To "this is what I did" in no time.

Good luck man, I'll check out your build!

Isaac

got the belt sewn and snaps added to hold it on this week. Also cut off the back of the but flap like yours. Both thighs are done but feel like I need to trim them down about an inch. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Ok, here are the latest test fittings.

Please let me know what works and what doesnt. Please also suggest ways to fix anything you see needs to be adjusted.

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

thanks guys! I wouldnt have gotten this far without all of the help here from the FISD.

Isaac

Edited by theisaac

If you can, pull up the thighs a bit. Also, the calf fitting should definitely be done with boots on, as the fit is different versus being (essentially) barefoot. You'll need to ensure the sniper plate won't get caught under the thigh armor, as that will not only inhibit your movement but the added stress will eventually cause it to pop off.

It looks like you could pull the back plate up a bit, and that would help alleviate the overlap between the back and kidney.

The other thing I see is the butt plate is riding up. Do you have the strap between the cod and butt in place? If so, it should be shortened a bit.

Finally, you should slightly clip the corners of your belt at 45 degree angles, take a look at the archive photos to get an idea of how far to go (not too far), and it seems that you have had a slight malfunction with your left-side drop box.

Getting there ... :)

Im honestly thinking about trimming about an inch off of the top of the butt plate. I think this is part of the kit where its made for taller troopers. As far as EIB goes so far... does the fit match what EIB should look like? I know the "requirements" and Im more about the idea behind what EIB means rather than connect the dots. I can do a checklist and meet the requirements but I want to be one of the proud 300 this year. How does it look so far in regards to that?

On a side note, Brian are you still using the suspender system you used in your initial build thread? How did you find it worked? Right now I have a single snap glued to the inside of the front of my thighs and Im thinking its going to pop one of these days as its a lot of stress for one harness point.

Edited by theisaac

I think you need to cut 45 degree angled cuts off of the (4) corners of the ammo belt on your waist I think to be more accurate too. Looks good.

I've been looking at BluRay screenshots lately and it seems like sometimes the backplate overlaps the kidney and sometimes the backplate looks to butt up to the top of the kidney. I guess either way looks right to me if it's done both ways in the films. Mine goes over the kidney just a bit but I'll also be covered up by a Sandtrooper backpack. Plus my thought is....with all the walking around and movement we'll be doing...I would think that somethings going to overlap at times.

Edited by silverBoyd

Thanks man ya I trimmed the belt and redid the drop boxes yesterday.

Messed with the thighs and strapping. Tried a belt with suspenders and then attaching the thigh to the ab plate with an elastic stap... Both suck. My thighs just don't pull up higher than they are now.

I'm at another plateau with the build lol. I hate it right now and just want to be done with it. Still waiting for tkboots.com to restock my size... And a neck seal... And I'll just make a holster.

Probably gonna try and build a t-21 to keep me busy till then. That looks fun

Im honestly thinking about trimming about an inch off of the top of the butt plate. I think this is part of the kit where its made for taller troopers. As far as EIB goes so far... does the fit match what EIB should look like? I know the "requirements" and Im more about the idea behind what EIB means rather than connect the dots. I can do a checklist and meet the requirements but I want to be one of the proud 300 this year. How does it look so far in regards to that?

On a side note, Brian are you still using the suspender system you used in your initial build thread? How did you find it worked? Right now I have a single snap glued to the inside of the front of my thighs and Im thinking its going to pop one of these days as its a lot of stress for one harness point.

I think you're on the right track for EI, but best to send a PM to Mathias (screenname - Locitus) and ask for some feedback, as he will ultimately make the call. I'd also ensure you've tried everything you can think of (and maybe a few things you haven't thought of) before trimming off the top of the butt plate. You may end up doing it regardless, but once you cut the plastic off you can't put it back on. Where do you have your butt plate snap plates glued in, i.e. how far down from the top? If you put them as close to the top return edge as possible and adjust the strapping length, it may solve the problem.

I still use the same system I built my kit with, and after some tuning following my first couple of troops in it (I had to reinforce the snap plates inside the front of the thighs with duct tape) it has worked reliably. Although I may try ditching the suspenders and going solely with the belt - wouldn't be hard since the suspenders are attached to the belt via alligator clips.

Lookin good Isaac... I had the same thigh/calf fitment issue... once i receieved TKboots & created a thigh belt garter... I re-measured gap between upper calf to lower thigh and as a result >>>>

I cut off 1" off the bottom of my calves; thus providing proper gap between upper calve and lower thighs to properly move. I also, notched out lower rear "back" of thigh to give leg movement, which is ok to do.

Edited by Cardiac

I love this build. You are built a lot like me (6'0" 235lbs) and I am just getting ti the body armor...great thread!

I have the "popeyeish" forearms as well...

Edited by Evilboy

Im down to the final stages at this point.

I'll track down a holster and some boots and Im just about done.

TKBoots.com is out right now... has been out for months.

I'll check out the vendors for a good holster from a dealer with a good attitude and call it a day.

• Anyone know a good way to cover that UnderArmor logo on my shirt? I could use a sharpie or something to color it but Im looking for something a little less ghetto.

I used a sharpie plus the bib on the neck seal covers it even better.

I was gonna say from your pics - tuck your butt in! I know you got a lot of advice already, but being in a similar situation I say cut the return edge off only, and if it doesn't tuck under the kidney then you can cheat a little shim in there (something I learned from clones). Just a about a 3x6" shim, 3 inches glued on the back top of the butt, 3 inches free-floating sticking up. Tuck that puppy under the kidney/belt and it won't pop out any more.

That said I've yet to apply mine... still a theory. Okay demote that to "thought" only.

*Ducks while the experts shoot down my theory*

• 2 weeks later...

I was so frustrated by the thighs that I ended up buying some old thighs, calves, and biceps from a buddy. Pulled them apart and Im gonna try to get those to fit better.