A Big Ol' Nasty Setback

Bigwhitebucket

Well folks, after a turbulent spring break, my parents finally came to a conclusion as whether they'd support a TK build over the summer. After giving them the pitch about this organization, they are still skeptical and have refused any help with paying for costume parts: thus making the build financially an impossibility.

I suppose they've a right to say so, since I'm still in college and need to focus on my studies, but I thought it was rude of them to blow off this organization as a sort of "hokey" little club that dresses up in expensive costumes for little more reason than Halloween parties. My dad was really only concerned with whether or not it was something I could put on my résumé (which I'm adamant it is).

So my TK build is going to have be put on the back-burner for a few more years. I'll still be posting on here to keep researching for the inevitable build, but quite honestly I'm pretty miffed after coming so close to achieving this (and it hasn't been a good week for me anyways, but that's another can of worms).

Anyways, there's my angry venting on the matter. Hopefully I'll be trooping with you all in a year or two.

- Grant

Edited by Bigwhitebucket

Oh man... bummer.

It took me a year of saving every month to be able to afford my kit. And I also sold off a buch of scuba gear laying around for all the accessories. Don't give up... save your pennies... and keep the parental pressure on. Maybe if they see in 6 months that this is still important to you, maybe they'll have a change of heart.

In the mean time... we'll be here.

Aloha,

-Eric

In the mean time you could start on the other parts you will need. Start your blaster build. You can buy the parts bit by bit and it will give you some good building practice. Then that's one less thing to have to do when you do start your armour.

Blaster is a good way to start and nice to have on a stand in your flat,makes the time shorter until you can get your set!

At DarthAloha-- you sold your diving gear????? Shame on you!!!!!!!!! :laugh1:

This '"hokey" little club that dresses up in expensive costumes' of ours collected about 12 Million USD in 2011 for charity. :)

Not to mention countless man-hours visiting hospitals, supporting children's charities (Make-A-Wish, anyone?), etc.

well i have to say that you shouldnt give up :) i started out with a total costume budget of 0$ :P

here is what i did

i started out making my first E-11 blaster from 100% recycled materials... total cost about 10$ for the paint and glue.. at this time i had no idea the 501st even existed..

i sold the blaster on ebay and it sold in under 5 minuets.. i was then contacted by a 501st member that wanted the blaster and he directed me here... once i found out i could get my own stormtrooper armor i just had to get one!!! but the wife said no :(

finally i came to an agreement with the wife that i could make a few more of these blasters and sell them that 1/2 of the money would be for bills and the rest for my first TK :)

so i made a few more

th_DSC05386.jpgth_DSC01284.jpgth_DSC05409.jpg

within several moths i had saved enough to order my ATA kit!!

i started saving my pennies in Jan 2010 and had my big brown box of armor in may.. looking back, it was well worth the wait :)

DSC01383.jpg

PS: i used my wait time to study,study study all thing stormtrooper :P hint hint.. and make as much of the extra parts you can from scratch it saved me a ton ;)

As stated, the Legion earned nearly 12 million dollars for Charity. Definitely let them know why we do it. Show them photos of troopers in the hospital, at the Walk for Autism and such. Maybe they will understand what it is we really do, and we're not (just) a bunch of nerds who like to play star wars dress up :)

When I first told my partner that I wanted to set of stormtrooper armour she just rolled here eyes and walked away. That just made me even more determined that I was going to do it. Once she realised how much I wanted to do it she was ok with the idea and now that she has come along to a couple of troops and met some of my squad mates she loves it and thinks the 501st is fantastic, she's even toyed with the idea of a costume herself :)

The suggestion of starting with the smaller bits is a great idea, my first purchase was a resin kit for a blaster which I had a fantastic time building and helped build my confidence for being able to build the armour. Remember, the big brown box of armour parts is quite an expense but it's not the only thing you will need so start getting some of the other parts together such as boots, gloves, body suit, holster etc. Work your way up to the armour.

The 501st is not some hokey relegion,soory had to say it. I was luckey when i came back from my first deployment i was able to buy everything i needed. You should take them to a event to see first hand, but if they don't like it still, it doesn't matter you are the one doing. Just get as much little stuff as you can and do all the research, read and read some more. GLw your build you will be a TK before you know it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you in spirit, Mark. I have no cash on hand at the moment to make my OWN first set of armor and am pretty much forcing myself to look for part-time jobs, take CLEPs and talk to recruiters at the moment to finally bring some financial flexibility into my life. But you can do plenty to prepare for the 501st without cash, thanks to the online resources all of us troopers have these days. I'm making a personal archive of information to consult when I finally get my armor and blaster parts, as well as offering a helping hand to friends of mine on Facebook who wish to join the Legion as well. While it may be a smaller contribution to the 501st, learning, educating others and promoting the Legion is just as important as trooping, after all. ;) I wish you tons of luck, man. Keep your chin up and you'll be polishing your armor post-troop before you know it!

Edited by arbayer2

Hang in there and don't give up on your dream! It took me many, many years to actually get to this point and I love my 501st Legion family. When I explain this to friends, family, and co-workers outside of the Legion, they look at me funny and some even start to say "n-e-r-d". ;) But, as you have read here, the 501st Legion really does help individuals and organizations...plus we make people smile. Definiately get a copy of "Heart of an Empire" and watch it with the folks. :)

• 3 weeks later...

While I am awaiting budgetary approval for my first set of armor, I find myself doing a mental inventory of items to liquidate to speed the process along. Unfortunately, you don't always get what you think 'item x' is worth...or it doesn't move at all, you take a huge loss, etc. So, I have other projects to work on - my Doopydoos E-11 kit has been ordered, and I am playing around with a homemade DLT-19 build. I also set aside the odd dollar here and there, have a list of relatively inexpensive parts I can afford sooner (Hovi mic tips, canvas belt, detonator belt clips, drop box 'insides'), and read the build forums A LOT so that when the big brown box does grace my doorstep, I will be ready! Best of luck!

Edited by boomshakra

I started with making an Excel file of all the items I might need - there's a lot more than you think you would need beyond the armour. Then turned it into a tracker of all the things I've paid for, that's being shipped or has arrived. It does take the edge off you.

Fortunately, my sister is into costuming now too so I had to do the same for her. Which is fun by the way shopping with other people's money (as she had no time to shop herself).... kills time while you save up enough.