Original E-11 magazine - 10 or 15 round?

troopermaster

well welded mags would support my breech loading theory.. welding them on would be logical to prevent the percussion of the blank firing from causing injury.. just a theory though

On 3/12/2012 at 8:09 PM, dashrazor said:

personally i think the mags in ANH were cut down by the prop department, even a 10 round mag is too long compared to what is seen on screen.. they likely just breech loaded single shots for a scene. also there are knockoff (after market) shorty mags for the L2A3 but from what i understand they are lacking in quality compared to the originals.

here is a pic showing the blank round ejecting and you can see the mag is only sticking out about an 1 1/2" -1" from the receiver or less

and more close up

1807859773_backplateshapescreencap(1).thumb.jpg.177e0e25aff4e7b343932c73355871f5.jpg

even the parapistol mag is too long.

I'm going with my first stated concept that the mags were cut down in house.

less cost in insurance and armoror costs with less potential rounds in the mag.

I have seen more than one shot come out of a blaster on set.

I believe that they must have had at least 5-9 rounds for firing smg's in the film.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

On the other hand is the insurance aspect of it all. You can't have handle actors (or anyone else) handle firearms that are unsafe. Cutting down mags in-houseif of course doable, but only if it's done by someone who knows what he does so that the magazine is safe to fire with.

212.jpg.f462037c4262b09d99b13a14eac5f8c4.jpg

22.jpg.2a1e08aa2b9ff29badbd508f425ace95.jpg

21.jpg.70aa6591361fb0d82abc38edcaade2a9.jpg

i do believe they cut them and they are really short.. probably is holding no more than 6 blanks

i think that picture of the exibition is probably NOT an SUblaster but is a great repro, probably they got acces to the original and took the measures from that one

an by the way have you ever noticed this?: i just saw it today .. Where is the Scope?

19.thumb.jpg.33a4a491b8edb3b75a0be422d6d44835.jpg

18.thumb.jpg.067e39909b3fb62775020f5735e6cfe0.jpg

ill cut mine .. short. pictures soon. ta

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

• 4 weeks later...

Well, might as well use my first post to share a little info on the subject. I'm in the process of modding my live firing Wise Lite Arms Sterling Sporter so I can display it as an E-11. I've made a dummy muzzle piece for when the 16.5 inch barrel is removed for display. It's a pretty cool gun, although I had to sand blast the crappy crinkle coat finish off and re paint it Rustoleum satin black. Here's a pic:------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

IIRC there was once a documentation about the Sterlings in SW having been cut down to 5 shots each. If only 5 shots were used per gun, or if the mags were really cut down to only 5 shots I can't remember, sorry.

I can see that. When I cut mine down as seen in my pics, I just did it by eye. When re assembled only four rounds would fit in the mag, with a fifth round almost fitting in. Another eighth of an inch or so would allow that fifth round so slip right in.

Robert

Great info Robert! And awesome blaster you got there. A real bad a$$. :)

Too bad you had to loose the crinkle coat though. ;)

Thanks, it's cool to have a real firing sterling!

As for the crinkle coat, good riddance! The stuff applied by Wise Lite Arms is WAY inferior to the finish used on the brittish made guns.

Robert

• 4 weeks later...

I always thought the Master Replicas version of the E-11 blaster had a long magazine. On the old MR website and also on the COA of the MR Stormtrooper blaster it says: "...The original 32 round magazine for the submachine gun was shortened to hold three rounds. While many different resin stunt Stormtrooper blasters were used during filming, Master Replicas has recreated the metal hero version based upon the blank-firing submachine gun as used in A New Hope... " :huh:

------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed