Original E-11 magazine - 10 or 15 round?

troopermaster

Does anyone know if the original mags used on the E-11 are 10 or 15 round capacity?

I don't think they were chopped down originally and know that 10 and 15 round mags are available for the Sterling, so I would like to hear from anyone who may have one of these mags to see which one is more suitable for the E-11.

I have found a supplier but the mags are expensive, so I would like to get the right one first time :)

If your supplier has an actual store you can go inside, maybe you can try fit the mags and compare it with a printed screenshot of one the scenes they used a hero blaster in, to see how much the mag sticks out?

My personal bet is on 10 rounds, but I have no proof of that, just a gut feeling.

I could but they are over a two hour drive away from where I live and I could buy another mag for the cost of fuel I would use getting there.

I think I will do more research on the lengths of the mags to see which one will be better suited. The blasters are something I have never paid much attention to but now I have all the real parts to build my blaster I want to get the real mag instead of the massive 34 round banana magazine.

Yeah, I see what you mean. The blasters are a mystery of their own. So little research has been done, or it's been forgotten and has to be redone somewhere else.

when looking at photos of the e-11's I'd say that the mags were cut for about 10 rounds.

but we'd have to compare the 10rnd clip with screenshots.

cutting the mag was simple for me.

tape the line with duct tape:

saw though each top and bottom.

dremel the edges off about 1/8" longer. with the matching edge from your cut off. compare with original edges.

bend the top and bottom into a very slight lip outwards for the replacement of the end cap.

(use the existing one as a guide on the part cut off- regular pliers work well )

cut inner clip spring to fit existing size with enough tension to push

mount inner assembly, replace end cap.

in some screenshots we have blasters with wood blocks, some with blank firing clips.

the goal in this case would be to find a blank firing screenshot and use that.

the wood block screenshots might suggest a 5 rnd clip, while other firing versions

must have had 10rnds per.

I think you could rule out the 15rnd mag!

I'm digging at screen refs.

will add photos here:

this harrison ford closeup from the detention block corridor scene.

backplateshapescreencap.thumb.jpg.48c81f193116912fdafa658aaa15a9ac.jpg

clearly shows a real bolt and cocking handle as well as a very cut down mag.

"get in there!" he says to chewie...

perhaps the prop weapons man cut them down to 5?

cost less for a license with 5 blank rounds instead of 10?

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

original sterling mk4 mags were (as far as i know) 32/34 rounds if i recall. only the sterling Mk 7 "Para-pistol" had the short 10-15 round mags from what i could dig up in old manuals and such... from what i have read, most of the post-ban short (legal) mags are actually just long mags cut down by a gunsmith anyway.. so chances are if your buying a 10 round mag its just a cut down and modified long one ;) unless your planning on firing the weapon, cutting it yourself is cheaper..

another interesting Sterling mag fact: the original spec was for a 40 round mag. By cutting it down to 34 rounds, they were able to use the existing Sten mag pouches that had already been issued to the troops :P also British Sten mags apparently fit the sterling as well..

That's interesting.

The way to tell if mags have been cut down is the grooves in the body will go all the way to the spring retaining plate where original short mags will finish just short of the plate. I was hoping someone might know about the mags or maybe have a good photo of a real ANH blaster to show what they were like.

It's no big deal having to cut down the mags but I would rather get an original short mag 'if' that is what was used on screen.

Edited by troopermaster

when I cut down my plate it fit fine.

can you please explain your terms here?

we need more clear explanation.

I have photos of the cut down mag and the full mag

let me get time to upload them.

I believe that magazine lengths vary according to the weapon's status.

stunt; wood block or resin plug

background resin cast

hero firing blanks

some troopers in background shots had hero blasters depending upon shot.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I know how to cut the mags down and make a slight return lip for the cap to fit onto, that is no problem for me to do.

But like I said, I was interested in knowing if they used the manufactured 10 round mag originally in ANH. I realise most of the E-11 were knocked up from chopped down Sterlings or resin copies, and some were real blank firing weapons which must have had working magazines if they fired more than one shot. A blank could have in the breech for a single shot though.

Basically, I have the opportunity to buy a real 10 round mag but it is like 4 times more than a standard mag which is why I asked the question :)

On 3/12/2012 at 8:43 AM, dashrazor said:

only the sterling Mk 7 "Para-pistol" had the short 10-15 round mags from what i could dig up in old manuals and such...

Here's how one of those look if anyone don't know what Mason is talking about. :)

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

personally i think the mags in ANH were cut down by the prop department, even a 10 round mag is too long compared to what is seen on screen.. they likely just breech loaded single shots for a scene. also there are knockoff (after market) shorty mags for the L2A3 but from what i understand they are lacking in quality compared to the originals.

here is a pic showing the blank round ejecting and you can see the mag is only sticking out about an 1 1/2" -1" from the receiver or less

600px-Starwars-Sterling4.jpg.21d488d6b64899f8148eeb6686e400b4.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

That does indeed look a lot shorter than what's on this one.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

here is a good pic showing the 3 variations of magazine. 10,15 and 34 round

wm_1358833.thumb.jpg.c786bb3226b5c96118aa08e58e252aea.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

I'm with Mason on this.

The magazines on the ESB stunt E11 and the ESB DH17 casts are similar in length to the one in the photo below which was at an exhibit along with an ESB helmet at the Tampa Bay Exhibition Center. All three of these show evidence of being cut-down despite retaining their plates.

6202371119_a14afcdba7.jpg

IMG_0481 by gordontarpley

(Photo by Gordon Tarpley)

By the way does anyone have a date for when the started manufacturing parapistols? I seem to remember them not being produced until the 80s.

well the mkVI also had a option of a 10 round mag if i recall correctly, but this like the para pistol was a post war model.. i dont think sterling would have produced one for use with the MK4.. it would be a waste of steel to make a 10 round mag for use on the battlefield IMHO, and i can find no record of short mags ever being made until after the war.. the post war models were used primarily for law enforcement not trench battles (where a 10 round mag would have been useless).. i am only assuming that the sterlings used on screen being MK4's, that they were military surplus and would have came with the standard 34 round mag.. i highly doubt that the prop department went out and purchased newer magazines..

i think some prototype sterlings were used at the end of the war to test for replacing the sten .. steel was likely still scarce at that time.. i read a lot of stuff on various gun forums so i cant recall all the specifics.. :P

oh ok i found it lol, the L2A3 was made in 1956. it was the last version used by the British Army. so after that they were used for other means,, thus the short mags started coming into play. so by post war i meant post military use. sorry lol, too much information to remember :laugh1:

Just flicked through that album again and it also appears that the ends of the magazine were welded on. :blink:

------- this is the picture in question but you may need to make it full size and look at the corners to see what I mean.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I see the welds when I look at the original size photo.

Only problem I see is this is not an original ANH blaster and not even sure if it is a screen used ESB blaster. I have seen E-11's on display that have been cobbled together and claim to be original when they are not. My main interest is in ANH so using this as reference is pointless really.