New photos of LFL tour suits (from private photos of Garrison mate)

A member of the Spanish Garrison has just posted these on our forum. I thought they were really interesting. They're from promotional events from the time when the original trilogy cam out on VHS (the digitally re-mastered versions at the end of the 90's I presume).

Some cool shots of what can only be LFL tour suits.

If I've understodd correctly, what we are looking at are suits which were made long after the filming of ROTJ, and specifically for promotional activities, but using the original ROTJ moulds.

Very cool!-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Awesome stuff!

Ā 

That chest box is out of control! :lol:

Ā 

What was going on with those belts? Trooper on the right looks like it's falling off, and the TK on the left doesn't even seem to have one?

They were in Germany as well, Paul? Would you share those pics here maybe?

Ā 

Nice pics, Rich. Poor Vader though - I love how they have the cardboard standee right there behind him and no one bothered to compare chest box positioning.

And strange how it seems they couldn't figure out the relatively straightforward way to close a stormtrooper belt in the back... like duh? Velcro to velcro, how hard can it be.

Do we know anything more about when these were made, how and how many?

Ā 

Were they put together from left-over pieces of armour from ROTJ or did they dust off the moulds and strat from scratch? Were they done just before this VHS release with this tour in mind?

On 2/29/2012 at 8:58 PM, troopermaster said:

Yeah, I will post them. They are on my laptop and I will get thm uploaded tonight when I have some time.

Ā 

Thanks, very cool. I already hate that I missed events like those back in the day when costumed people came to Germany. ;)

Ā 

I do remember some pic of a couple of men and women in a workshop that looks to be from around mid 90s where they made the 1997 SE stormtrooper/sandtrooper suits as well as the tour ones. AFAIK those were made from ROTJ based moulds but indeed new vac pulls.

Ā 

Edit:

those are costumes from that same "production line" that were filmed for special edition insert scenes (Mos Eisley has some clean stormtroopers in some scenes), and they look similar.

----------

Ā 

I'll try and find that other pic.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Here's more of those same "newly pulled" ROTJ based stormtroopers, or sandtroopers.

Ā 

-----------

Ā 

Also check this vid @ around 2:15 for more ROTJ style troopers. And they show up more often in that title, you see a lot of armor actually in those cutscenes filmed for the game.

Ā 

And again, from 1:24 onwards:

Ā 

I can not for the life of me find the pics I mentioned of a room full od stormtrooper torso and helmet components with a couple of men and women posing with them, holding the helmets.

Anyone know which pics I am talking about? I thought they were on Jez's site somewhere as well but I can't find them there at the moment.

Ā 

Edit:

never mind, I just found those pics:

http://www.starwarsh...mor-helmets.htm

Edited by gmrhodes13

Whoa - I just read that for Rebel Assault 2, real archive costumes were used, and not newly made. Those look to be in surprisingly good shape considering their age at the point the game was made.

Ā 

Also, in the link I posted from Jez's site, Don Bies is quoted as saying that basically those SE tour stormtrooper were originally just made for promotion purposes and not specifically for 1997 pick-up scenes. Those were rather a hastily added-on extra so to speak, since they already had over 30 new stormie suits made. Interesting!

Is it just me, or is this guy:

Ā 

-----------

Actually starting to look more like a Rubies than a 'proper' helmet?

Ā 

Like, if you recast that helmet a couple more times, could this TK be the grandaddy of the licensed helmets?

Edited by gmrhodes13

Maybe this was the link on SW-helmets that we were looking for?

http://starwarshelmets.com/original-TOUR-stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Oooops, looks like we got a mispositioned-lens-situation!

Nevertheless, imagine how awesome it would've been to see these guys back in the 90s!..considering most of the (very few) costumes for the general public at that time was Marco-styled Stormtroopers and what-not. :excl:

Ā 

Thanks for sharing these pictures! I love these 90s (old-school) pictures, it's great to see how much the quality and finish of these suits have improved during these years.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13