Commercial vs. Fan made

THANKS a bunch for posting the comparison.  I was tempted to buy a Supreme Trooper and now can visually understand why not to buy it.  I am short 5'5" and wondered if Troopers could advise which armour would be best - so far it's between TM and RS, or another that would fit the vertically challenged?

Nothing beats a side-by-side comparison. Thanks for sharing!

Wow, thanks for all this comparison and explanation of Armour types and what to stay away from. When I have cash and age on my side I am looking at a TM or AP ANH build. This thread is great, gives some good newbie tips and all, keep up the great work FISD!

Oh wow, much thanks for the heads up for this new guy....ha

Happy to help people avoid the same mistakes I made :)

• 3 months later...

I am looking for an off the shelf ready to wear suit that doesn't totally suck.

I am 5'9" 160 lbs

Right now I'm leaning towards an SDS battle spec helmet and armor. Any thoughts?

My back up plan is to go with an MTK (trooper bay) kit bit after watching his videos am not sure I habe the time to go thru building it.

I am 5'9" 160 lbs

Right now I'm leaning towards an SDS battle spec helmet and armor. Any thoughts?

My back up plan is to go with an MTK (trooper bay) kit bit after watching his videos am not sure I habe the time to go thru building it.

Try ordering it built by RS or TM, a bit more $$$ , but they know exactly what they are doing.

I am 5'9" 160 lbs

Like Cantina said, better to go with RS or TM. More bang for the buck. Plus, SDS are not allowed to sell to US residents because of a lost lawsuit and unpaid damages.

I feel I must admit to the sin 1st off, please do not judge me people :-/

I wanted to build my own trooper kit for a while now but not being particularly craft handy I scoured eBay for a basic/cheap kit to basically play around with and test out. I managed to find what I was the perfect thing for the price I paid

Sadly when I opened the box it had a sworn enemy sticker placed in its helmet......JEDI ROBE!!!! (I've already whipped myself hard)

The kit itself is actually in excellent condition but obviously it's not ideal (but like I said it was cheap enough to use as a practice model)

Just wondering what modifications it would need to bring it up to proper spec etc

Not looking to formally troop yet as just starting out

Any help, ideas or directions would be most welcome

Here's a few pics to start with, not entirely sure what is needed though

I know about the wrong boots etc (comes with Elvis boots) the butt joints to the legs too but on reading some of the stuff on here I'm looking at the depths of the chest and ab plates....

I'm looking at splitting the kidney/butt plate to make up the stunt costume (as can been seen in the helmet pic, that's what's been supplied)

post-19969-138861350861_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861352106_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861353005_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861353894_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861354652_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861355919_thumb.jpg

Already doing away with the straps, the guy I got it from was much shorter than me so way too short (looking at a strapping kit from rspropmaster)

Eyeing up the kidney plate split, just need the right tool. Any recommendations?

Not looking at trooping right away, it's more a hobby to get my interest peaked then I'll sort a proper kit out

Still, any help is very much appreciated. Be brutal if you want. I deserve it lol

I've compiled some tools and accessories to aid me but where the heck do I start?!

I've looked and downloaded the guideline spec off of the 501st site for the stunt version I'm trying for

Looking at the spec I don't appear to have anything major to do (no doubt I'll be corrected here........)

My main concern is transforming the "overlap" in the JR suit to the "butt joint" on most of the pieces

I'm probably aiming a bit too high here but I'm enthusiastic enough to reach for the level 2 certification and my other worry is measurements

I'm 6'2" (185cm) and 14 1/2 stone (90kgs)

There are some exacting measurements that I'm not quite sure I'll achieve

"Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope"

• 1 month later...

Rich trooper: You biggest concern in this, is modifying the butt plate, to give it the right shape. JR supplie it in a weird shape, that will never get you approved, so you need to cut it and make it look right(Look at the side pictures in the first post.

The rest, is more or less(Probably more) adjusting the parts to your size.

The CRL have changed since I got my JR basic approved, so cant remember if you need to change the back plate entirely, to get a smaller OII detail.

But good luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me, and I will help you as good as I can :)

• 1 year later...

Rich trooper: You biggest concern in this, is modifying the butt plate, to give it the right shape. JR supplie it in a weird shape, that will never get you approved, so you need to cut it and make it look right(Look at the side pictures in the first post.

The rest, is more or less(Probably more) adjusting the parts to your size.

The CRL have changed since I got my JR basic approved, so cant remember if you need to change the back plate entirely, to get a smaller OII detail.

But good luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me, and I will help you as good as I can :)

I might be stupid, but where can I buy TM amour from? I'm in Australia if that complicates the matter too

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is why I'm cutting into My Rubies and not even taking it seriously.

I can't wait to order an Anovos TK, but that TM looks totally awesome, I could be swayed to go TM if it's possible.

That's easy. Just send troopermaster a PM.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reference pics. Also, I'm new to the boards so I was wondering what you mean by "TM"?

troopermaster, maker of some really fantastic armor. 

Welcome to the board, BTW! You might want to head over to the introductions section and start a thread, let everyone know who you are. Lots of great people on this board, really helpful. 

• 1 month later...

Here's a few pics to start with, not entirely sure what is needed though

I know about the wrong boots etc (comes with Elvis boots) the butt joints to the legs too but on reading some of the stuff on here I'm looking at the depths of the chest and ab plates....

I'm looking at splitting the kidney/butt plate to make up the stunt costume (as can been seen in the helmet pic, that's what's been supplied)

post-19969-138861350861_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861352106_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861353005_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861353894_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861354652_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861355919_thumb.jpg

Already doing away with the straps, the guy I got it from was much shorter than me so way too short (looking at a strapping kit from rspropmaster)

Eyeing up the kidney plate split, just need the right tool. Any recommendations?

Not looking at trooping right away, it's more a hobby to get my interest peaked then I'll sort a proper kit out

Still, any help is very much appreciated. Be brutal if you want. I deserve it lol

I've compiled some tools and accessories to aid me but where the heck do I start?!

I've looked and downloaded the guideline spec off of the 501st site for the stunt version I'm trying for

Looking at the spec I don't appear to have anything major to do (no doubt I'll be corrected here........)

My main concern is transforming the "overlap" in the JR suit to the "butt joint" on most of the pieces

I'm probably aiming a bit too high here but I'm enthusiastic enough to reach for the level 2 certification and my other worry is measurements

I'm 6'2" (185cm) and 14 1/2 stone (90kgs)

There are some exacting measurements that I'm not quite sure I'll achieve

"Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope"

I was recently at Disneyland and some TK’s were walking around the Star Wars ride for people to take pictures of. When I looked at the armor they had on, it looked different. I wasn’t sure who the producer was until I looked at the above pictures. I’m sure NOW Disney is also using this armor.  

THANK YOU for this thread. I got mansplained to today by some coworkers about how they can just buy the "expensive costumes" at Disneyland to join the 501st because they are being sold at Disneyland and are "super expensive". I tried to tell them that just about any commercial costume may require some modifications, but they wouldn't listen to me.  :blink:  :angry:

Edited by pigelectric