New and scared where to start

Right guys. I jumped right in and ordered some parts from eBay. Got myself chest, back, abdomen, cod piece, shoulders and biceps all in fiberglass.

You're probably all saying this is bad but we have to start somewhere. The helmet is on it's way. My main worry is where do I start? I don't know where to cut the abdomen or cod piece to give me plenty of movement.

I've been looking around and doing lots of searches but don't seem to be able to find instructions on where to make the right cuts.

Anyway you probably have had enough of this newbie rambling on. If any of this makes sense then any tips or hints are Most welcome.

Cheeers people

Welcome to the boards, you're in the right place for finding help.

Do you happen to know if the kit you ordered has a name associated with it (such as FX or some other abbreviation)? I'm not aware of any TK armor makers who make their armor out of resin, almost all of them are HIPS or ABS plastic. Generally everyone warns against ebay armor on here, but depending on what you found you might be alright. A really good source for getting help with getting started on your armor is your local garrison. You can find a full list of the garrisons @ http://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php#garrisons. Introduce yourself on their forums and possible see if they have a facebook group where you can get in touch. As far as instructions go for assembly, the best thing to do is look for threads on here labelled as armor builds or some of the "how to" and "tips" under the tutorials.

Best of luck!

Right guys. I jumped right in and ordered some parts from eBay. Got myself chest, back, abdomen, cod piece, shoulders and biceps all in fiberglass.

You're probably all saying this is bad but we have to start somewhere. The helmet is on it's way. My main worry is where do I start? I don't know where to cut the abdomen or cod piece to give me plenty of movement.

I've been looking around and doing lots of searches but don't seem to be able to find instructions on where to make the right cuts.

Anyway you probably have had enough of this newbie rambling on. If any of this makes sense then any tips or hints are Most welcome.

Cheeers people

Try switching out "scared" for "EXCITED!!!!" :smiley-sw013: Have faith in yourself. You can do this!!! Congrats on your future ARMOR!!!!

I have been costuming for years, but never worked with plastic before. The key is to really do your homework. Look at as many build threads as you can, as those will show someones entire build from start to finish. Look at lots of these and it will really build your confidence as the more you look around, the more you realize it isn't that hard. Most people start with the biceps then fore arms, waiting to do the bigger pieces as there confidence grows. What I did was do a search peice by piece. So I would look at doing the thigh, I would search out thigh and read as much as possible. But yes, I agree with the other, pictures are huge in us helping you :smiley-sw013:

Edited by Sparrow

most armor made from fibreglass will end up being heavy to troop in.

you might want to consider sending it back and getting a more accurate setup.

my 2 cents!

where are the rest of your needed armor parts coming from?

how is it possible that you don't have the complete setup?

that is a red flag from the start.

best of luck, and you know we can help if you have all the parts!

Blimey that was a big response.

Right then to save answering them all individually I'll be generic in my answers.

First things first. My main reason for doing this is that my wife is having her 40th birthday as fancy dress, I thought long and hard about it (2 secs) and decided I wanted to go as a Stormtrooper. I found a helmet online for a bargain price and then found the upper armour also at a bargain price. It wasn't until after I had purchased them and I had started doing a bit of research that I realised what I had let myself in for i.e. The whole armour building world.

For the time being I'm not trying to go for the screen accurate route. Not enough time for that. It's just about cobbling enogh good armour together to pass as a trooper. When the party is done and dusted I then plan to go at this properly.

Hopefully that answers a few questions.

As for the make of the armour I have no idea. sorry. To me it looks great but like I say this whole world is totally new to me, When I work out how to post pictures everyone will probably tell me I've been stung. Oh well you live and learn.

Anyway already you've all been a great help to me. Off to do some more research now and to work out how to put snaps up here for you all.

Cheers

When is your party? It can take a long time to build or it can take a day to build depending on how many people you have helping. :)

Best of luck and ask what you can. Most of us have not worked with fiberglass so I couldn't begin to help there. I also know that with as much armor as the TK has a fiberglass kit would be way to heavy. You'll be sore within an hour.

The party isnt until August. If i can get the rest of the armour in plastic then that will be a huge weight of my shoulders :laugh1:

Like I say I'm not going for full screen accuracy straight away. I'm just going for what I can afford for now and will work it from there. To the regualr joe they won't be able to tell it's not 100%

After the party I'll work at making my own high quality armour.

:dancing-trooper:

Right further developments. I've found a guy who appears to make plastic armour (HIPS is it) so I've taken the plunge and purchased the biceps parts to replace my fiberglass parts. After the slagging F/Glass gets it made me paranoid. Will probably have to keep F/Glass chest, back and Abdomen until I can make my own.

Welcome,

It would be helpful if you would post some pictures of the armor! Also, some info about you height, weight and build. Sounds like you are going to build your armor. This will help to guide you on decisions you will make.

Andy

In response to you Andy. I'm 5'10" Slim build and probably weigh around 12 stone. Whatever that is in lbs.