Bestay to remove dry paint?

tbo

So I left my hack job dry because I ran out of paint thinner to remove it..now it won't come off! I try holding a tag of paint thinner on it and letting it soak but it appears my paint is too thick. I also tried Goof off, which I read about somewhere, but after testing on bare ABS that appears to do the same as acetone. Any thoughts?

Not sure what kind of paint you used. Not sure how well this will work, I would definetly try this on some scrap ABS before using it on your armor. You can find it at Wal-mart or other sporting goods store. It's called Hoppys I believe is the name for it, it's used to clean grime off of firearms, can be found in cleaning kits or bottles. I've used it to remove old stuck on Testors paint of of metal. Never used it on plastic so I would test it first. put some on and let it sit for a bit to see what happens.

This is what Thalizar is talking about. Walmart will have it the hunting/sporting goods section as will any place that carries firearms.

--------

Since it's basically Kerosene and Ethyl with a few other ingredients it will remove a lot of types of paint, but I would definitely test it on a scrap piece of ABS before I used it on my helmet.

Ā 

Here is the MSDS for Hoppe's #9.

----------

Someone more chemically smart than I should be able to tell you if it will kill the ABS.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 month later...