Best Way To Cut Out Ears?

MClass

Hi guys, new here. Just got my ATA ABS kit today, just finished a rough cut of the excess ABS on the back/cap and under the faceplate. Before I mess up my ears, anybody have suggestions on what tools to use to cut them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :smiley-sw013:

I used an exacto knife and some sandpaper to do mine. Just score into the line you're cutting a few times, get it nice and deep, and then give it a little bend- the plastic should snap off beautifully.

I think all the cool kids are using dremels these days...

I used a Xacto knife and sanded it. Just take your time with the ears. Take a small bit off at a time and test fit then rinse and repeat until you get the fit you desire. Shave small amounts off is key, don't take to much in one cut.

I am surprised that no one mentioned a rotary tool (Dremel) with the sanding drum attachment. It gives precision control at almost any speed and sands round; just like the inside of the ear curves

I am surprised that no one mentioned a rotary tool (Dremel) with the sanding drum attachment. It gives precision control at almost any speed and sands round; just like the inside of the ear curves

I said all the cool kids are using them!

belt sander and dremel here.

i use any combination of:

1/2" hand held belt sander that I clamp to my workbench and use as a stationary tool.

1" belt sander that actually is bench mounted normally

dremel with 1/2" drum

dremel with 1/4" drum

• 8 years later...

Hey trooper,

For me, I do an initial rough trim with lexan scissors, then fine tune with the Dremel and a sanding attachment. As below;

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1