EIB Requirements

What I'm talking about is my personal opinion, not what's in the CRL. Currently there is nothing stopping you from using overlap assembly for centurion level (although I disagree with that).

Using cover strips for a ANH/ESB armour is in my mind the only way to go if you have any intention of looking accurate. If you built the armour with E-6000 as your glue, then it should be easy to take it apart and redo it with cover strips. That's what I would do. But I can't tell you what to do, since this is not a requirement. It's up to you.

Thank you for the clarification. I respect your personal opinion and I am building my armor to the best of my ability; overlap construction is what I am comfortable with. It also leaves the option of rebuilding using butt-join/coverstrips to better fit me in the future (i.e. should I stop exercising and/or gain weight).

• 2 months later...

Butt joint with cover strips look a lot better to me, more armor-like whatever that means. People should consider it even when not considering EIB/Centurion in the future. It does take extra hours glueing two cover strips, first inside, then trim and glue the second one outside to cover for how much it moved, it's longer but it can't go wrong. So in terms of difficulty I felt it would be harder to get the overlap to look right even when you have to do less.

Would I need to convert an overlap to a butt joint I would only worry about the color of the outside strip. I think I could even work with 2mm ridges because there's no rule to how nasty you glue on the inside, I'd heat-bend wider inner strips to join the two pieces, then cover as much and pretty as needed on the outside, fill the space with glue or junk plastic. Then you walk to a centurion who wears overlap and tell him about how much fun you had.

Edited by Nicky

It's probably just me. Several people told me that, but the gluing process, keeping pressure on the outside, made me scream. After swearing a lot with clamping troubles and parts moving I ended up using the weight of 2 beer cans to glue the inner strip first, then I just needed a few magnets to keep the outer strip in place while the rest was already dry.

Edited by Nicky

I use tape along the inside seam to keep the halves together while the outer strip cures with claps on the ends and magnets in the middle.

I agree with Mathias, I dont have that many clamps but green tape to maintain the pressure and clamps on the end work better than i expected. After i juat use white duct tape on the inside along the seam and two pieces horizontally at the ends. So far so good. No exploding armour!

Don't worry. If you ever build another suit you'll think it's super easy. :)

if not easier at least less daunting of a task and wondering WHERE do I begin, HOW do I do this. OH and allow for not making the same mistakes twice (speaking for myself specifically here). :duim:

Don't worry. If you ever build another suit you'll think it's super easy. :)

if not easier at least less daunting of a task and wondering WHERE do I begin, HOW do I do this. OH and allow for not making the same mistakes twice (speaking for myself specifically here). :duim:

I'm afraid it could also be like driving the same road twice, first time you check your mirrors, blink, yield at every turn... but second time you impale a guy on a segway with the bicycle of some other guy you ran over.

In fact I had to literally clean blood off of my armor before CVI haha

Edited by Nicky

Clamps and a set of these magnets and you're set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-Neodymium-Disc-20mm-X-3mm-N48-Magnets-Rare-Earth-Very-Strong-Craft-Models-/280791972823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4160817bd7

I showed these magnets to my fellow Star Garrison members and they said they were the strongest magnets they have ever seen. They cannot be pulled apart. You have to slide them sideways to separate them. They helped me build both my AM clean TK kit and my Death Trooper Franken-Kit (FX, AP, ATA, etc).

Clamps and a set of these magnets and you're set:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4160817bd7

I showed these magnets to my fellow Star Garrison members and they said they were the strongest magnets they have ever seen. They cannot be pulled apart. You have to slide them sideways to separate them. They helped me build both my AM clean TK kit and my Death Trooper Franken-Kit (FX, AP, ATA, etc).

Thanks man! The ones I used suck, they are called that thing that doesn't suck but in practice they suck. Had to pile them up haha... Thanks!

Edited by Nicky

• 7 months later...

Hi, as a cadet whose been working on his first set of armor for way too long, I'd like to recommend that you add a statement to the CRL's that says "updated as of xx/xx/xxxx" (date).  This way cadets can easily confirm that any CRL's they downloaded/printed are the most up-to-date ones.

• 4 months later...

As the new owner of a previously awarded Expert and Centurion set of armor - do those awards "transfer" with the armor or do I need to go through a process to have the certificates awarded to me? If it matters, I am the same exact size: height and weight as Bluey - the former owner of the armor.

• 2 weeks later...

Question about EIB / Centurion approval and blasters. Is the E-11 still optional or is it required for EIB or Centurion?  The CRL lists it as optional, but I have been told by a TK that you have to have an E-11 to get approved in EIB.  Thanks for any clarification. 

Sent via my R5 unit using TapaTalk4.

Edited by Winter

Question about EIB / Centurion approval and blasters. Is the E-11 still optional or is it required for EIB or Centurion?  The CRL lists it as optional, but I have been told by a TK that you have to have an E-11 to get approved in EIB.  Thanks for any clarification. 

Sent via my R5 unit using TapaTalk4.

There are no requirement for any trooper at any level to have a weapon ( due to all the different laws in different countries). But on the other hand, what is a trooper without his weapon? Can you imagine yourself being part of either program, and not have a blaster?) unless there are laws in you state/country that prohibit this). If you do have a blaster, then it will have to meet certain criteria....

Actually, a blaster is required at EIB and Centurion levels.

The legion can't discriminate 501st membership due to laws and restrictions, but we at FISD can on the optional "above and beyond" levels.

Although, as far as I know, this has never been an issue. And if local laws prevent you from trooping with a blaster, it might not prevent you from owning one for display and use in your application photos. I suspect that is how some members have done in the more restricted areas.

Edited by Locitus