I am tempted by the Rubie's Supreme Set, please advise me

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

---------

Now, don't get daunted! As a few people have said, you are in the best area of the world to get assistance. If you get a kit, invite your local troops for an 'armour party', and from what I know of your Garrison, you'll be wearing it in no time.

Ā 

There are LOTS of tutorials here at the FISD on strapping (and again, your local Troops can help).

Ā 

AM and ATA both offer ABS plastic kits, which don't need painting (sure, you might have to paint the chin black, or the belly buttons blue and grey, but the plastic is white).

Ā 

AM is quite durable (as is ATA's ABS, as far as I know) and will stand up to heavy trooping (even abuse). Put together nicely, you'll get years and years out of it.

Ā 

Locitus is right, ATA is more accurate (and in the same price range). What body type are you? If you're a BIG guy, AM would be a better choice. If you're smaller (or even normal-sized), ATA would be my recommendation, too.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

AM would take a bit of modding to fit you really nicely- it's totally doable (I'm the same height, and about 10kg lighter, and I made an FX fit me), but ATA (or others) would fit much better out of the box.

Go for ATA as it'll require less trimming and less wasted plastic.

Tools needed. Curved scissors, steel ruler, clamps and sandpaper.

Ā 

You'll also need white industrial strenght velcro, white elastic and black elastic. 1.5" and 2". Get some 2 part super glue and E-6000 glue.

You'll also need to get some humbrol paint for the buttons on the ab plate.

Oh you'll also need about 30 snaps (poppers).

I don't think the ATA kit comes with a canvas belt so you'll need one of those, a neck seal, boots and a bodysuit.

You may also have to get some helmet decal stickers. Check with the guys first.

Ā 

Honestly the rubies suit looks like crap in person. It only looks 'decent' on video because the company makes it look decent.

Just look at the photos around here of people in their armour. NONE of them wear a rubies.

Ā 

You don't have to join the 501st if you don't want to. IF you bought a rubies you wouldn't get in anyways.

The rubies helmet is ugly as sin. The lenses make you look like some weird beetle.

Edited by TrooperVenger

This is by no means a definitive list but this is what I've put together for my ATA build by reading a ton of tutorials and getting recommendations. It's taken about 4 months to get it all together and it seems pretty complete (just missing the strapping components). I'm sure something else will come up, but this may help give you an idea of the items you will most likely need.

---------

Ā 

Good luck!

Edited by gmrhodes13

Loadingarea does a nice suit for under ƂĀ£400. Ideal as a first suit and very shiny... just my $0.02! but if you want to buy the Rubies set then I will quite happily take the money for your and send you a paper mache kit instead, would look better!

You seem to fall within the size range of an AP kit and Id highly recommend it.

Ā 

Im slightly bigger than you are and successfully built an AP kit with little to no trouble - once I got over the initial fear of cutting and trimming, but there is a small moons worth of documentation and info here to get you over those humps. I must say though that there is no greater feeling of satisfaction of building and upgrading a suit, Ive had mine for over a year and Im still tinkering and upgrading it before and after a troop.

Ā 

As Mark says above, he does offer a ready to wear kit :)

Ā 

Cheers

Hadleigh

loadingarea (Jon) is actually on ebay (I know, watch what you buy on Ebay) but I know a couple of members that have brought his kits, including myself, and they are really good "starter" kits.

Ā 

Check out my build thread here ----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Why go for a recast of one of the armors that are here? Why not go for one of the many armors that the guys here have dedicated their time and researched tons of info so they can make their armor as accurate as it can be? Just my two cents bro, you get what you pay for here on FISD. I wouldn't buy anything that's armor related outside of FISD. You can easily get scammed on eBay and get a cheap armor that's labeled as "501st approved".

I am not saying I support recasting either. But anything is better than the Rubies monstrosity!

All I pointed out was another supplier of armour who does actually state on his sales page that NO ARMOUR is 501st approved.

Also his armour is cheap. Not promoting him or endorsing, just adding him into the bucket.

My personal preference would be AP but I could not afford it so I went for a cheaper option.

As I was building a TK Commander I thought cheaper the better as I was going to be adding scratches etc.

My next set will either be AP or TM definately.

Edited by Angevine