TK and its meaning.

BigSlimJimmy

I agree. The thermal dets in BF2 were not 501st/TK dets. They were ROTJ dets. (Way to go Lucas fArts).

Actually, the HWT canister isn't an RotJ, it just has four raised bumps on it, and (as Vern pointed out) is only half-round.

Ā 

Like so:

HWT1.jpg

Ā 

They're all over the place for details. Helmet is ANH, handguards are ESB/RotJ, boots (sorry they're cut off in the pic) are RotJ, ab buttons are... hurting my brain.

I think the half-rounded-ness of the TD only comes from the low polygon count of such an old game with limited graphics and the capabilities of yesterdays hardware.

While it doesn't help much with figureing out what "TK" means, I was talking about this with a friend of mine across the pond in England. He told me about how the British Army in the past when doing roll call (this being during the 1700s and 1800s) would refer to someone by thier number if there was more than one person with the same last name. They would at times use the first initials of thier first and last names before saying the number. This went out of use sometime around World War One he told me.

While I have no idea what the TK truly stands for, if you think about it, the designations are alot like license plates. There are so many troops, like plates, that you must have some combination of letters and numbers to distinguish one trooper from another. Much like a social security # for Americans (except thats all numbers). So depending on how many digits you go out (TK-XXXXXXXX), at some point it just easier to change the alpha part of the designation to keep the overall lenght short.

Ā 

But this is a galaxy far, far away...so who knows if those bits of logic apply.

That's already happening in the Legion. TKID's used to be 3 digits, then they ran out. Now we have 4 digits, unlike in the film, Those are nearing the end too, so they've already provisioned the database for 5 digit TKID's, e.g. TK-41222. At some point I wonder if they'll add a slash, e.g. TK-421/22 or TK-8020/20 if we get > 100000 TKID's needed, though that seems beyond the realm of expectation.

Ā 

RetCon that :)

Maybe, "TK421 what aren't you at your post?", sounded better than, "Hey.....you, uh, you there, you supposed to be gaurding that ship, why aren't you at your post?" haha!

I'd have to dig it out but I'm pretty sure that in the novel for A New Hope it calls TK-421 as THX-1138. I've always wondered if it was like that in the early drafts or something and then changed it later.

Ā 

I have this book, it does say THX-1138 :) What's the origin on this name again?

THX-1138 was put on some hengstler counters, and that is the title of a sci fi movie that george lucas worked on

before star wars.

Ā 

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

• 5 months later...

While it doesn't help much with figureing out what "TK" means, I was talking about this with a friend of mine across the pond in England. He told me about how the British Army in the past when doing roll call (this being during the 1700s and 1800s) would refer to someone by thier number if there was more than one person with the same last name. They would at times use the first initials of thier first and last names before saying the number. This went out of use sometime around World War One he told me.

Ā 

US Army still does this sometimes, Example: Training, New set of people every 8 weeks, and first and last names can be the same, so they use the last four SSN (and we had two guys with the same numbers!) & when we out/in processed for deployment, again lots of soldiers coming and going, so they used last four SSN for roll call.