Opening a Hasbro

Hello all,

I'm starting off with my first Hasbro mod using a Doopydoos kit. I'm attempting to open it up and it is being a little more difficult than anticipated.

I knew I would have trouble with the rear of the scope, and after hitting on it with a screw driver for a long time I gave up and attacked it with my Dremel. I would like to congratulate the adhesives engineer at Hasbro that put together that part, it was rock solid.

Now I'm having trouble just splitting the thing apart. Along the rail in the rear I was able to use a knife to break the glue there.

DSCN0728.JPG

But I'm not having as much luck in the front. It seems to have some pretty solid glue here too, and it is starting to crack along the side of the T-Track when I try separating it apart. I can't seem to make much progress with the knife here.

DSCN0730.JPG

Has anyone else noticed that much problem with glue? Any tricks for splitting the front without damaging the body?

Where it was glued on the rail in the rear, both sides of the plastic came up flat against each other. It looks like the majority of the rest body has a little alignment lip that would make it impossible to separate with a knife. I can't tell for sure if there is a lip along this top t-track piece or not.

I gave it another shot from the other end, but I couldn't find a way of opening it without damaging the t-track.

DSCN0735.JPG

You can see in the picture where the splits start forming as I try prying it open.

I pushed through and finally got it apart. I'm not happy with the torn ends on the track. I had considered removing it and adding some other t-track anyhow, so perhaps this will force the choice for me.

DSCN0740.JPG

I hate to say this...I didn't have to take the blaster apart to install my Doopy Doos conversion, is there a specific reason you needed to disassemble it??

I hate to say this...I didn't have to take the blaster apart to install my Doopy Doos conversion, is there a specific reason you needed to disassemble it??

I didn't either... but I wanted to and I wish I did. You can read about my lament in my hasbro mod thread... but also I wanted to split it because I read Pandatrooper's hasbro mod thread way too many times.

Now my lament has less to do with not splitting my hasbro but more to do with not going with a droopy full resin E-11 to begin with.

Aloha,

-Eric

I kind of like that beat up look. When you have dinged up spots on it, paint it all black, then detail them with a flat aluminum and some careful brush work.

Here's a pic of my Hasbro mod so you can see what I mean about detailing.

e_11_blaster_by_lmr54-d4dj3qs.jpg

Thanks guys. I've seen a few where people opened them up and others where they hadn't. Mostly this project is a learning experience for me, so my plan was to open it up and see about modifying the trigger, possibly modding the electronics, and figure out whatever other changes I might want to undertake. I had seen a lot of discussion about getting the back of the scope off, but nobody had mentioned having trouble with the other glued parts so I was mostly curious about whether others had hit the same issue or if some guns come more glued then others.

Nice job on the weathering, lmr. Having never done a prop like this before weathering kind of scares me, but I'm working on overcoming that fear by trying some paint on some scrap plastic. A good weathering job makes these things so much more convincing. I just need to remind myself that dents in dings in the assembly process may add to the final effect.

I'm with you Pandatrooper. My plan has always been to do the Hasbro and upgrade to a custom built later after learning some lessons, but the more I play with this thing the more I wish I had gone straight to a pipe build or full resin. Not that the Hasbro is bad, but I catch myself debating about how much time to spend on the Hasbro, when I really want to finish it off before my armor kit arrives.

I've committed myself to doing completely custom t-track by completely removing the existing Hasbro track. I'll start a separate build thread with my progress so far.