Solcar23's Resin DoopyDoo's E-11 Build

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. I had considered using hammered black but didn't like the way it turned out on a scratch sample I did. After seeing yours I'm going to have to practice my spray painting to see if I can make it work because that texture just looks amazing. Great job!

Thanks Martin!!! Not as artistic as yours, but without yours as the guide I'd never have gotten it done as well as I have! I'm pleased with it!

Well, worked on the detailing and weathering last evening. I've decided for very mild weathering so I'm not going full on. So far I've weathered the scope, Henstler and added the metallic details.

Ā 

First of all, here's the spray paint I used.

Ā 

IMG_2120.jpg

Ā 

Now on to the details. Here is the scope slightly weathered and with the screws and lettering painted:

Ā 

IMG_2122.jpg

Ā 

IMG_2124.jpg

Ā 

IMG_2127.jpg

Ā 

Hengstler details:

Ā 

IMG_2129.jpg

Ā 

Bolt door:

Ā 

IMG_2128.jpg

Ā 

Put together:

Ā 

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

Ā 

Now, I just need to pimp the scope lenses, add the wires for the Hengstler, weather the rest and clear coat it. More to come!

Edited by Solcar23

Here's a couple wide shots after detailing. Still needs wires and a bit more weathering.

Ā 

IMG_2137.jpg

Ā 

IMG_2139.jpg

Ā 

IMG_2140.jpg

Ā 

IMG_2141.jpg

Ā 

IMG_2142.jpg

Ā 

In the holster:

Ā 

IMG_2144.jpg

Edited by Solcar23

Hey Oso,

I sprayed probably 3 coats on it. I ended up using 1 1/2 cans on it. I just kept spraying in light coats until it was covered. It took a while and initially looked too thick, but after finishing I think it came out fine. The rustoleum will come out looking really glossy at first so you will definitely have to hit it with some clear matt paint. I used Floquil model train paint to finish it. Oh, and I airbrushed the matt coat so it wouldn't cover so thickly. Good luck my brother!

Edited by Solcar23

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Anybody with ideas for the scope? I purchased a reticle piece from ebay but it turned out to be too big, so I need to find an alternative. I would also like to find some "glasslike" inserts to put over it on the front and back so it looks like a real one. I suppose I could upgrade it to a real one but was hoping to find a solution to mod the existing part to be more accurate.

What an absolutely beautiful build. There is a guy on the RPF doing a run of retcles at the moment. Lot's of different colours and designs. He even does a light up one. I don't know how they work but they are really thin and look pretty good.

Thanks brother! Those look interesting! I need to size out the Doopy's scope eyepiece area. I wonder if I could just make my own by getting an appropriate sized reticle and pour a small amount of clear epoxy into the area to make it look like glass. Sounds like it might work! Hmmmmmm............

No problem Carlos. I just spent ages finding the thread on the RPF (because he spelt reticle differently) and I'm sorry to say that he is messing people around so I wouldn't order one from him http://www.therpf.com/f13/star-wars-blaster-scope-reticules-lighted-version-135406/

My new Doopy Doo's resin kit was waiting for me in the mail box when I got home from work today.

WO HOOOOO

I want to start right now building.

Well maybe after supper.

Ā 

One question.

Whats the best glue to use?

You said you used a 2 part epoxy.

What was the name brand (can it be found in America)?

OK so i asked 2 questions...

Ā 

AWSOME BUILD thread, I love the paint job. :jc_doublethumbup:

Craig

I thought that the 2-part epoxy worked the best for me but many folks use E6000 or several other types of glues (there are some other threads that deal with this somewhere on here) Anyway, I just used the Loctite brand that I bought at Target. You can find it at any home improvement store or hardware store or there are some better brands at hobby shops. Good luck! And thanks for the compliment!

Ā 

And Thanks Nige for the info! I got some nice ones to print! Now I just need a new color ink cartridge!

I thought that the 2-part epoxy worked the best for me but many folks use E6000 or several other types of glues (there are some other threads that deal with this somewhere on here) Anyway, I just used the Loctite brand that I bought at Target. You can find it at any home improvement store or hardware store or there are some better brands at hobby shops. Good luck! And thanks for the compliment!

Ā 

And Thanks Nige for the info! I got some nice ones to print! Now I just need a new color ink cartridge!

Ā 

Me too......I printed mine and it came out yellow........lol. I like the idea of printing a black one onto a red film.

Ā 

For glue, I've been using superglue for some of the smaller parts and here in the UK we have Araldite two-part epoxy which works well. I've got both standard and fast setting versions. So far, I haven't even needed to use clamps or elastic bands to hold things together.

Yeah, with the 5 minute epoxy I was able to pretty much assemble the whole thing in one night without any clamps at all. The whole assembly process I showed in the thread was done in the span of an hour or so. It's the detailing,filling, sanding, priming, making the metal parts and painting that took the most time! What a fun project though! And with the epoxy, the blaster feels incredibly solid! If it cracked, it definitely wouldn't be where I applied the epoxy! Lol!

How did you fix the front of the scope rail? I haven't got a bar yet, the first one I used just snapped. It was really strong and didn't flex but it snapped when I bent it.

I know that I'll cut mine to fit into the hole of the barrel but do you then bend it again to stay in there?

I still don't know what I'll use yet. I'm hoping to find an offcut or scrap of something.

If you are using aluminum bar, heat it a little with a torch right before and while bending it. be gentle so as not to melt the metal, and you should have good results...here is my build http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19500&hl=&fromsearch=1