Solcar23's Resin DoopyDoo's E-11 Build

Hi Everyone!

Well, since I've started on the E-11 while I'm waiting for my ATA armor to arrive I thought I'd post pics of my progress.

Here's the kit laid out:

IMG_1810.jpg

After giving the kit a bath and scoring the areas to be glued I attached the grip, trigger and guard first. I had a bit of a problem using E6000 for the kit so I switched to 2 part 5 min epoxy. Seems to be doing the trick!

IMG_1818.jpg

I also put together the mag and screw. This is the only part to still be attached with E 6000:

IMG_1814.jpg

After that, I detailed out the front sight with an exacto and needle file. I'll probably touch this up when I'm finishing the blaster before I prime it:

IMG_1823.jpg

Progress at the end of that evening:

IMG_1821.jpg

Next, I decided to work on adding the aluminum rail and rear sight. I haven't seen any threads that specifically described the rear sight prep for the rail, but after looking at Billhag's post it seems that there were some mods done to make the rear of the rail work. I used the Dremel and needle file to grind the part down and I cut the rail with a metal cutting wheel on the Dremel:

IMG_1829.jpg

I think the rear came out ok. I'd like it to sit a bit lower but after 2 hours of messing with it, I just left it as it. It's also slightly crooked but it's not so bad that it'll be noticeable, unless you really look down the length. Generally, I'm just going to go with it, imperfections and all.

IMG_1828.jpg

Here's the front. It sits just a few mm. too high. I'm going to go back and tweak that later. Once again, not too noticeable but enough to make me want to tweak it a bit. I'm also for sure going to clean up the front, the cutting wheel got away on me a bit as I kept trying to get it to sit lower, I think a bit off of the corners will do the trick. :

IMG_1830.jpg

Here's a shot of the profile, here you can see the rail isn't perfectly flat from bending the ends, as well as how it's just a tiny bit higher in the front. It bugs me, but I'm not sure if it's a deal breaker yet. Opinions would be great!

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

Next up will be the Hengstler bracket, then the remaining smaller pieces which will be easier to attach. I'll save the spring and bolt for last.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre-fab'd some parts for the scope and Hengstler as well as cut the bolts for the front Allen screw heads and the flat screwdriver bit for the front sight. I was hoping to assemble the whole thing and mount it but ran out of steam.

Cutting the Allen bolt heads off:

IMG_1832.jpg

Finished product:

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

Then on to the front sight part:

IMG_1836.jpg

Finished product:

IMG_1837.jpg

Then I moved on to the Hengstler bracket:

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

Mounted, although these are totally the wrong screws. I just put them there to put it together. I need to find some different ones.

IMG_1844.jpg

Inspiration......

IMG_1845.jpg

Basically the end result of tonight's work, now to install all of it!:

IMG_1851.jpg

Not much progress in the last day or so but I did get to drilling out the muzzle bolts and inserting the bolt head on the left side. I'm not happy with the way it sits (a little crooked) so I'm going to re-do the area with the Dremel instead of the needle file to get it to seat better. Little by little.

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

You can see here how it's sitting a bit crooked. A bit more tweaking and it'll be right!

IMG_1884.jpg

Well, I made some progress tonight! All that's left to do is the bolt and spring and the endcap! Then on to painting!

I started with the front bolts, first I got the crooked one to sit better:

IMG_1910.jpg

Then finished the other side, I'm pleased with the result:

IMG_1911.jpg

I then installed the front sight part. When I drilled out the hole it unfortunately ate part of the front away. Fortunately the little flat screwdriver part is hexagonal so when the flat side is against the edge it blended pretty well with the front. I'll probably touch it up with some putty before I prime when I'm filling gaps.

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

I put some better screws into the hengstler and adjusted the angle:

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

Mounted it:

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg

I broke a screw off into the scope so I had to improvise with the screw holes. I'm really not happy with this but at least it is in a more concealed spot.

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

I was able to clean up and adjust the front of the rail, it's not perfect but it's better than it was:

IMG_1925.jpg

Moving on:

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

Relatively straight.......eh:

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

Adding the stock:

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

The mag:

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

Then the bits and pieces:

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

In Vern's Holster:

IMG_1944.jpg

That's all for tonight!!

Edited by Solcar23

• 2 weeks later...

Progress on the build last night! I've decided to not go with a detailed bolt (forgive me Martin and Vern!) I'm general happy with it as is and I'm just itching to get to the armor.

I was able to fill sand and prime all of the parts.

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

Now, to base coat the colors tonight, then spray everything black later this week when I get some time!

The priming really binds the whole thing together! I'm dying to get rolling on the final paint job and weathering!

Any suggestions on what kind of black spray paint to use?

Little progress last night painting the base color on the scope. It's not technically brass (it's Citadel Dwarf Bronze acrylic) but I think it'll work under the black. I intend to do only light weathering so I don't think the slight darker metallic color will be all that bad. If anyone thinks it'll not work in the end, I may repaint it with a closer brass enamel, but that will mean another trip to the Hobby Shop (which I actually never mind at all, more paint is better! :P )

Opinions (as usual) are welcome!!

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

That's all for now! SOON the final black coat and mat clear coat!! Almost there!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm almost finished so I thought I'd post a continuation to the build.

I left out how I made the spring on this particular thread so here's what I did.

First I scraped off all of the paint on a regular coat hanger then used a 5A drumstick to form the coil. I'll double check the size of the stick but it was perfect for fitting the spring into the inner pipe of the blaster:

IMG_1950.jpg

Installed:

IMG_1952.jpg

After the filling, sanding and priming I finally got to paint the black base coat. I used Rustoleum hammered finish spray paint from Sprawlmart. It went on pretty glossy, but as you'll see in the end with the flat clear coat it all worked out.:

IMG_2069.jpg

I eventually hung it to spray:

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

It looked pretty glossy after drying:

IMG_2081.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

After the clear mat coat:

IMG_2111.jpg

I painted the spring Citadel bolt gun metal, I think it looks pretty good:

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

I taped off the handle before the matt coat so it stayed glossy:

IMG_2105.jpg

Texture's pretty cool:

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

I like the imperfections, think it'll add character. All that's left now are the metal details and screws. Then one more clear mat coat to protect it!

Yay! Then.......on to the armor!

Edited by Solcar23