My ESB Hasbro Blaster Conversion Attempt

NastyNoah

So originally I had planned on doing ANH stunt like the majority of Troopers start with. I checked out thier blaster build threads and thought it would be fun to do the Hasbro conversion, so I bought a blaster off of the eBay, and ordered a Doopy kit. Well that was almost a month ago and in that time I have decided I wanted to go the less taken ESB route. I read up on all the differences in the ANH armor compared to the ESB. I bought different hand guards, made a my own holster, ordered the correct stickers for the helmet etc... Without ever really considering the difference in the blaster until today

img1839q.jpgI recieved this box today and immediately jumped on the FISD forums with the intent of doing a quick build tonight. Then I realized that I was going to have to do some major mods to my blaster to be somewhat ESB accurate.

So here we go with my first build of any sort on this forum.

Removing the counter !!!!!!!

img1840rc.jpg

This is what I am starting with. I had already cut off the barrel and scope pieces, as I had seen in every ANH conversion thread. To remove the counter I first used a Sharpie maker to draw an outline around the area I wanted to cut away. I then started scoring the lines with my exacto.

img1841fb.jpg

After about 10 minutes of scoring the same spot over and over I started to get some penetration on the straight parts that needed to be cut away, but knew the exacto was not going to be usefull on the curved areas.

img1843v.jpg

I was also getting tired of the progress moving so slow, so I whipped out the dremel and bore a few holes through it hoping I could break the pieces off in smaller sections easier than the whole counter at once.

img1845ih.jpg

img1846d.jpg

img1847i.jpg

Here is the first of the small sections removed.

img1849t.jpgNow it is looking a little better.

I am headed back to the shed now where will cut and sand the rough edges down and hopefully post some picture of the progress later tonight.

I hate to tell you this but on the conversion you don't cut off the counter, you just don't add the one in the conversion kit. I really don't know how you are going to correct that hole. You also don't put on the cylinders.

Here is my build:

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

First one doesn't look good, second one looks really sweet. If you can do bondo, I can't, then it can turn out good. I would suggest if you are going to that extent then you do all the other extra mods.

hollow out scope rail

put real hex heads in the barrel end

cut lower t-track and drill new holes

drill holes in fake expansion stock

also make sure you put the correct t-tracks that come with kit on the correct side. One is shorter then the other and you leave the end hole open on one side (look at thread to see which side).

good luck!

On 1/26/2012 at 9:55 AM, darksideemt said:

I hate to tell you this but on the conversion you don't cut off the counter, you just don't add the one in the conversion kit. I really don't know how you are going to correct that hole. You also don't put on the cylinders.

Here is my build:

--------

He's doing the right thing - ESB blasters have no counter at all so removing it is correct. You just leave it there for ANH.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

He's doing the right thing - ESB blasters have no counter at all so removing it is correct. You just leave it there for ANH.

I know they are not suppose to have one at all but I had never seen a conversion done where they cut the hasbro one off. All the conversion threads I looked at just didn't add the doopy one. I agree if you can do the bondo work it looks sweet, sadly I don't have those skills and will upgrade one day with full resin kit.

So would I still pass 501st approval with a Hasbro conversion where I leave off the Dopy counter ?

Absolutely. The CRL for ESB troopers clearly states:

No ammo counter shall be present.

I believe for base level requirements you can get away with leaving the counter on, but for EIB you definitely can't have it.

Maybe there aren't many (or any) other Hasbro conversions where people have committed to doing this, but the fact that you are is great and well worth the effort.

Good stuff!

Interesting! I never really thought of removing that area of the hasbro. Nice thinking there ;) You can definitely reshape it and make it look smooth all over again. I'll be monitoring this thread! :P