My ANH stunt build so far (feedback please!)[*ATA]

I have been building my ATA ABS armor for about the last 2 months and am trying to get it finished up for the Episode I midnight release. I have a few shots of me wearing everything except the helmet (it is currently being painted). I'm a little concerned about some of my sizing with things since I'm a little bit on the small side (5'7", 135lbs)

In this photo I feel like the way I have my arms is turning the shoulder bells back. I'm also holding the belt up because I haven't decided how I want to attach it to the armor yet. I'm making adjustments so that my left thigh and left shin will line up better. I'm also concerned about my torso. Does it look too wide? I feel like I might need to reduce it by about 4 inches or so in the waist and then use a heat gun to bend the sides in a little to give it a better form. Another thing, what does everyone do as far as keeping their chest piece in place? I don't want to add straps around my sides connecting the front and back because it doesn't look like that will work for EIB (which I eventually want to do). I also think some of my cover strips might be a little too long so I need to sand those down and trim them.

IMAG0289.jpg

This is just a little bit closer shot of my upper half. Does it look like my forearms are too long and need to be trimmed back?

IMAG0292.jpg

This is just a side shot. I don't currently have a picture from the back. Thermal detonator pieces are getting in this week sometime.

IMAG0294.jpg

Please leave me any and all feedback. I want this to look good when I wear it for the first time on a troop and right now I feel like I'm just a little bit off in several places.

Thanks!

All in all, not bad and great work. You could def trim some things to make it fit more snug. Bottom up: shins look good, thighs-maybe trim a little on the cover strips, forearms-looks good, but you could trim some/strips too, biceps good, shoulders-not sure what method you are using here-but looks good and play with the fit, chest/back looks good-not sure how you connected these at the shoulders. My 2 cents but great job overall. :)

Hi Bennett,

This is coming from a newbie (almost finished my first build)so..........anyway,

I'm with Jim...looking good! Chest doesn't look to wide to me..once you decided on what way to attach it (to the ab or back) it i'll sit even better. Btw i have seen people use various means of attaching the torso...with velcro/straps/screen accurate binders/etc...I got the chest and back velcroed (newbie eh)and its pretty snug..

Just wondering..do your forearms move? They seem a bit wide..

In the second picture your right forearm covers a bit of your handplate..can you move your wrist like that..? I think maybe you are right about trimming them just a little...

All in all: Good job, ! keep it up! :)

Great job so far! I just completed a ata build and being slim too,I had to make the arm pieces thinner. I used a 1/2" or 13mm cover stip on the arms. Also trimmed off more of the shelf for the cover strip off too. I can see you left some of this on the parts. You will only need a 1/4 inch of the shelf on each piece to use a 1/2 " cover strip. Here's a pic of my arm parts

forearms028.jpg

Etienne,

The arms are pretty big but I am using weather stripping to pad them which keeps them from moving around. I'm looking at ways to shorten them up and possible thin them up a little as well.

Nick,

Would there be a good way for me to remove the strips I currently have in place? I know E-6000 is forgiving, I just haven't tested exactly how forgiving it is.

Thanks everyone!

e6000 is easy to remove,just gently pry open the joint. once you get it started it will come of pretty quick. This glue does not fuse the pieces together, it's kind of like silicon, you can just peel off the residue. That's what make this stuff so forgiving.

It might be worth taking the forearms apart and trimming them a tad more. They look pretty massive on you. If you want you could angle the cut so that the wrist end stays wide enough that you can get your hand through but the forearm will still be thinner towards your elbow.

Looks awesome though mate. :)

Besides the forearms needing a little trimming your build looks great. I can't till I get my new armor and start the madness all over again!

I dont think you need to change anything.

a little velcro at the front of the belt, and keep the belt tight.

always look at the film and compare your look to that.

don't go by another person's build thread!

look at the movie and then look at your photos!

it's good to have everything like you have it!

trust me!

if you want to keep the shoulder bells in tight to the front, simply

move the attachment forward about 1"

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some pre-submission photos. For some reason the photographer didn't send me the shot we took of me standing with the helmet on from the front. I'm also not sure if this background is plain enough to be okay for submission.

DSC02956.jpgDSC02955.jpg

DSC02954.jpgDSC02952.jpg

DSC02951.jpgDSC02950.jpgDSC02953.jpg

DSC02949.jpg

I should probably take off my balaclava for without helmet pictures because it kind of falls down and covers my neck seal. Anyways, as I mentioned, for some reason my photographer didn't send me the frontal shot with helmet on but please give me any feedback you think is appropriate. I do still want to go back and resize my right arm, even if it looks ok it just feels way too big.

Thanks again,

Bennett

Edited by HockeyTrooper

There will be a few tweaks for my EIB submission when I do that. I appreciate the compliment :) Just gotta wait for elections stuff to get wrapped up and figure out who my new GML is so I can submit and become official!

Bennett, your armor looks good bro, congrats. The forearms seem a little big to me at the wrist, but maybe thats just the picture. Then again this is coming from the guy who keeps having to put his armor purchase and assembly off, due to my wife and kids spending my paycheck, so take that with a grain of salt. But all in all brother, it looks great and I'm jealous!

Thanks, Damon! I am actually hoping to find time to resize my right forearm sometime this week. I haven't decided on the left one just yet. I need to remove the return edge on both forearms at the bottom and on the inside for EIB and once I do that I might decide that both need to be sized down a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

A huge "Thank You" to everyone here at FISD. I got my approval e-mail yesterday and am now TK-4674. Again, thank you to everyone who contributed to my TK (literally with parts or figuratively with feedback). You have all made the journey much less stressful than I thought it would be and I hope I can help do the same for future troopers.

-Bennett