Machorascal

Is there such a thing as a dirty TK?

If I wanted to dirty my armor (not REALLY dirty, just fairly well-used) and add a leather pouch or two, but NOT be a sandtrooper...what is that? Can you be a dirty "deployed" TK? I saw some guys at Celebration IV, I think they were from the Black Sheep Squadron ("Troops"), and I loved their armor. It's modified TK, but not fully TD.

Can I do this? Will the 501st still give me a TK ID?

Here's a picture I took for reference.

black.jpg

Nothing canon. You will need to clean the armor a bit (not spotless, but not dirty) and lose the accessories. You can always add them back at things like cons, etc.

IMHO that armor is a bit dirty to be included as a TK by 501st standards.

Thanks Daetrin. I agree it's a little TOO dirty, but there's something about their style and accessories that makes them look more "realistic," meaning, I could see these being actual troopers on some far away planet. Well-worn, for lack of a better word.

One of my main interests in this style (other than the dirt) is the pouches and accessories. Being 6'4, there is a little more black showing than most, and I'd like to hide it better with extras.

Then you might as well just go sandy. Essentially that's what a sandtrooper is.

In a perfect world there is the stormtrooper, and sandtroopers are just a variation on that, e.g. a TK + accessories. However due to filming and production inconsistencies that's not really what happened, thus the difference in subtle details between the two as far as 501st Legion costuming is concerned.

The point of a TK is too look all alike, and to match what was presented in the movies. No two sandtroopers look exactly alike, so if you want to deviate from standard with dirt + accessories TD is really the way to go.

(and no, at a con or similar where movement is restricted and canon standards don't apply you can ditch the pack and BFG).

Just so it's out there, many a TK including myself has - after first starting - looked at the TD as something super cool because they have all these cool accessories. I have to tell you that trooping almost exclusively as a sandy and then having everyone else go sandy, the appeal of the clean TK - a *well done* TK - becomes equally cool again, and in some ways, cooler.

I suspect others go back and forth between favoring TK / TD over time. My $.02...

WOW, Guys, I'm sorry for this, but I really dig their style!!!!!!!

At first, I thought they were TD, but then noticed the abs plate and knee plate being TK.

Then I carefully looked at the left thigh, is it backward with the Knee plate on the upper lip?!?!

Also, what kind of helmet is that, is it the camera angle making it look funny?

God, these guys look so tough!?!?!

Someone correct me if need be, but after I saw these guys I watched "Troops" and the new "I.M.P.S" short, and I'm 99.9% sure that these are the guys from those productions.

I wish my boots had that tread!

Guest Bezerkus

I know TM did some subtle weathering on his TK with Pastels, that really look great and close to movie accurate, they are really quite mucked up when you look at them closely.

you can totaly tell there not td's. these guys have not really dirt but more of the burned look as though they took a couple of blaster shots. think of there inviroment they will be most likely in engineering so grease and burn dust particles are floating around i can suggest spraying black pant very far away to simulate soot. but of course run a test be for messing with your one and onlys. its only a suggestions.

I know TM did some subtle weathering on his TK with Pastels, that really look great and close to movie accurate, they are really quite mucked up when you look at them closely.

pastles does sound like a cleaner and easyer clean up of a mess up than spray.

Don't get me wrong - it's a totally cool effect for non-canon events & cons. But you'd have to be able to strip all that off if you ever needed to be a normal TK (e.g. for a canon event).

I've done some experiments with tempera paint. It comes off easier than real dirt does. If I do it, it'll be with that paint, so I can convert back and forth with ease.

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw the black sheep at C4. I really dug their costumes. They sure looked like they were part of the star wars universe. I sat down and spoke to them and got info on their costumes. Some of them were fiberglass self casted. The members were cool folks and friendly. I heard from one of them that a lot of 501st folks are snobby and don't play with them because of their creative licence and non-canoness . I do agree that it's not canon, but very cool nonetheless. Kinda cute too :wub:

DSC03772.jpg

DSC03775.jpg

DSC03776.jpg

DSC03774.jpg

HOLEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! man look at those beauties!! i have no idea what it is but there´s something about those helmets, the tk helmets that make them look so mean and though! I LOOOVE THEM!!

the rest of the accesories are sweet also!!! that´s what I´m striving for without so much dirt on the plastic.

Dude, you might want to check this:

<a href="http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=7788" target="_blank">http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=7788</a>

I´m slowly growing in accesories to attain a "blacksheep" look. I´m not as good creating stuff like those guys but i manage and so far what I have on the armor looks cool and can be removed for cannon events!

check it out and give me your opinion!

Do the "Black Sheep" have a web site???

Yes they do Dave.

check the Blacksheep productions website at:

http://impstherelentless.com/tek9.asp?pg=teaser

you can ckeck the IMPS trailer to see one of the coolest damend armors I´ve seen and watch the first chapter of their documentary story.

like Troops, IMPS is a funny story too, so just take it lightly hearted! their production skills are amazing!

jeeezzz man, I´m such the admirer of these blacksheep guys!

I´ll try doing a pauldron like the white one on this pic!

DSC03776.jpg

I really love those custom troopers like the Black Sheep and the Imperial Commandos.

Heck, it's a reason to buy another armor kit! :lol:

Your Welcome :P

And DAMN the trailer looks AWESOME!!!

I want to join Blacksheep. If there are any Blacksheep members in here. Hit me up!

:peace:

The only nitpicky thing I have to say is that they went "OH MY GOOOOOD" in Chapter 1... Kinda ruins immersion for me.

Also, where I come from, OH MY GOOOOD is a stereotypical american response :P. By the Emperor would appear more appropriate I reckon.

But for the rest, that's one piece of professional fan-fiction Wow-ee!! Always wanted to see an AT-AT hangar and such. The I.M.P.S. rock :D.

Though truth be told...

God.jpg

There is mention of the old bugger in one of the comics of Classic Star Wars: Devilworlds 2

Oh and about the thread revive, I linked to it regarding a question from a new member of the forums who asked why he hasn't seen dirtied-up TK's round here. :)

Yeah... The first minutes with the voice of Optimus Pri.... ermmm.... Peter Cullen narrating about how good is to be in the empire are just awesome!

I love the music also ... If anyone here is from the blacksheeps please let me know how to get at least the first song!

The 501st is an organization driven by volunteers that raises money for charity.

The more volunteers, the more events they can participate in and the more money they can raise.

If someone modifies their armor creatively they're out of the group and limited to non-canon events: events non-501st members can attend where it doesn't matter if you're there or not anyway.

The 501st should make a detachment for the people that mod their armor creatively and let them join on all the events if they want.

Like if a mall donates money so the 501st can appear there, imagine how cool it would be if the mall was flooded with Star Wars characters of every kind. It would be cool and really make their day.

Instead, because rules is rules, that can't happen. It limits everything so much.

There are some creative people out there with really unbelievably cool sets of armor that they can't entertain people with.

At Disney Theme Parks they have various Mickeys; Regular Mickey, Star Wars Mickey, Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey.

All they do is separate them a bit. Why doesn't the 501st do that?

It's safer and more fun if everyone is invited to an event than if it's just 3 guys in star wars costumes.

They could just make different levels, like elite status and three others based on the accuracy of your costume, without pulling up the rope ladder on the tree-house when the creative people out there want to play too.

Like in the Disney Weekends parade they have all the stormtroopers, the sand troopers, etcetera marching together, why not also have a space for the creative ones too? even if they have to walk at the back end, it would be better than shunning them altogether.

I for one want to see more zombie-troopers out there.

================================================================================

If someone modifies their armor creatively they're out of the group and limited to non-canon events: events non-501st members can attend where it doesn't matter if you're there or not anyway.

As far as i know the only way that this could happen is if the 501st member only has one costume, then modifies its to the point that it cant be unmodified to its original rendership. theres no rule that u cant add or subtract bells & whisltes. as long as its not permanent. or u can get 2 suits

As far as the whole Cannon/non cannon thing , as far as i know there has only been 2 lately (cannon)the one in tiawan ( sneakers) and the one in Mexico ( lego) and the non cannon there has been actual many (in the hundreds), last one Dragon con. We do more non cannon troops than cannon troops.

its like any club there are rules that have to be followed.

Take Nascar or Formula-1 i can do everything under the sun to use my VW beetle to race but i will just get a big "NO" even if i had my VW all tuned out and ready to race.

Since the 501st is a club that espcialized in Movie style costumes thats were the rules of 501st events applies, if u want to be a 501st member then one needs to follow the rules, if not then u can troop but not as a member...... Take Danny Choo he is not a member ( or at least wasnt ) but troops like crazys!

The 501st should make a detachment for the people that mod their armor creatively and let them join on all the events if they want.

Like if a mall donates money so the 501st can appear there, imagine how cool it would be if the mall was flooded with Star Wars characters of every kind. It would be cool and really make their day.

Instead, because rules is rules, that can't happen. It limits everything so much.

There are some creative people out there with really unbelievably cool sets of armor that they can't entertain people with.

I really dont see the need for this there is a huge number of Specialty troopers

Elvistrooper

Discotrooper

Pancho Via Trooper

Holmes trooper

Watson trooper

Darth Elvis

The Football troopers ( many many)

Santa Scout (WIP)

Spidertrooper

Many more......

all of theses are troop on a regular basis with cannon suits and there Specialty suits.

At Disney Theme Parks they have various Mickeys; Regular Mickey, Star Wars Mickey, Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey.

All they do is separate them a bit. Why doesn't the 501st do that?

All theses Mickeys are Disney Cannon, and troop in Disney events

I really dont agree, just log into the different cons that take place all year and u will see that there is non cannon SW costumes galore, Last i checked there is some type of big con every couple months and smaller ones every months. if u really work at it there is at least one event/con a month that is in driving distance, thats at least 12 in a yr and more if u fly. not to mention the Big Cons.

It's safer and more fun if everyone is invited to an event than if it's just 3 guys in star wars costumes.

They could just make different levels, like elite status and three others based on the accuracy of your costume, without pulling up the rope ladder on the tree-house when the creative people out there want to play too.

Like in the Disney Weekends parade they have all the stormtroopers, the sand troopers, etcetera marching together, why not also have a space for the creative ones too? even if they have to walk at the back end, it would be better than shunning them altogether.

I for one want to see more zombie-troopers out there.

Like i said if one wants to be 501st then there are the rules if not one can do what one wants to do, theres no rope ladder pulling.... there is a clear difference between a cannon troop ( rose bowel, Uncle G was there!!!! it was his gig, the 501st wasnt in chager of who LFL invited) this is the same for most cannon troops its not the 501st that makes the calls and dictates law 99% of the times its LFL. Now there is a difference in a 501st troop to a Hospital for example in which there has to be conducted with profesionalism but that is mostly in charge with the CO if he/or she is a Cannon nut or not ( i am for example if it has to do with the 501st, or that i am representing the Legion in any way or capasity then its a cannon troop and we will act like if Uncle G and LFL had invited us) but thats me.... now i have put on the armor or my other suits with a apron and cooked a BBQ for friends and stuff but that was in private. I was just a geek with cool costumes, not a member of the Legion in offical capacity.

Could u plz PM about the Shunning altogether part..... U might have heard something i didnt so rather them derail this thread with that topic, could u PM about that, thx :)

Any way just in case i am not attacking or baiting, i just read your post and dont really agree , and explied my thoughts.

Friendly disagrement :D but plz PM if u jhave any questions.

As I understand it, the Disney-SW Weekends is considered a canon troop. I know the costumes need to be approved by the FL Garrison.

The non-canon troopers are great, very original and always tend to get lots of photo ops. I think if you want to do that, then it's best to have 2 suits. Heck, it's an excuse to buy more armor :D