Xaoslord's ANH Stunt Build - RT-Mod[*RT]

xaoslord

Hey Ray,

I am starting the same build, same RT-Mod From Rob in Canada.

Looking at your pics, we may be the same height and weight.

I will definitely use your post as a guide.

I found this post because I was looking for a good way to paint those

Molded AB buttons, looks like you may have installed buttons from VaderDave right

over the top of the existing button mold?

Thanks,

Rick

Indianapolis

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the clearing of trees, brush and weeds is done and most of the spring planting is completed. Now I have to build a deck, repair another and a porch, then stain all three. All of the lumber is being stored in my shop so I have to complete this before I can get back to work on the stormy build. Looking forward to getting back to it (and giving my back a break!) :laugh1:

This thread is amazing. Either you are exceedingly meticulous (I mean that in a good way) or that armor is exquisit, or both... because you make everything look so precise and clean. Nothing like the mess I was standing knee-deep in or the crap edges from my poor cutting skills!!!

Ā 

Well, I have this theory that the Rebels sneak in when you aren't working and steal your glue. They're crafty devils.

Ā 

It's the cat. If not yours, the neighbor's or a stray.

• 1 month later...

Rob does a great job with his kit, so most of the credit goes to him. When cutting, I clamped a straight edge to the pieces when I could to get the cleanest cut I could get. Then finished off with some sanding.

Ā 

I still haven't given up on this, I still have a shop full of lumber so I haven't had any opportunity to get to work on the kit. Taxes took most of what funds I had for the decking project so I'm having to wait a little longer to get it completed.

• 4 weeks later...

Rob does a great job with his kit, so most of the credit goes to him. When cutting, I clamped a straight edge to the pieces when I could to get the cleanest cut I could get. Then finished off with some sanding.

Ā 

I still haven't given up on this, I still have a shop full of lumber so I haven't had any opportunity to get to work on the kit. Taxes took most of what funds I had for the decking project so I'm having to wait a little longer to get it completed.

Ā 

I'll second the comment that Rob does a great job making his armor. Everything just fits together with my kit (so far) - minimal trimming and sanding.

• 1 month later...

Got my replacement split rivets today. The solid part of the shaft was still a little long for my taste but I went with them.

Ā 

6983385769_901e4031da_z.jpg

Ā 

6837262552_8e1e5ca5ec_z.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Hi there, great thread and very helpful for my RT-Mod build. Especially the forearm issues and how you solved them.

Could you please tell me what diameter and length your AB - KIDNEY split rivets are (mm is fine as I work in Metric too). Also where did you get them? I have searched for some time and after many hours come up with dead ends. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mat

Hi there, great thread and very helpful for my RT-Mod build. Especially the forearm issues and how you solved them.

Could you please tell me what diameter and length your AB - KIDNEY split rivets are (mm is fine as I work in Metric too). Also where did you get them? I have searched for some time and after many hours come up with dead ends. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mat

Ā 

Hey Mat, I haven't done anything in awhile because my workshop is still full of lumber. I will have to check to verify the size I got.

Cheers

Mat

Ā 

The heads should be 8mm but 9mm will look fine too. I have a couple sitting on my desk here that are 12mm-ish long and you'll need some sort of tool or apply a hammer to press the legs apart. Don't forget the washers. I used brass paper clip things of the right diameter and put a touch of hot glue on the backs after trimming the long thingys.

Ā 

Aloha,

Ā 

-Eric

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I had been using a straight edge and a utility knife to make my cuts, but I noticed the straight edge tends to drift in the center when I put pressure on it, so I decided to just go for it with the lexan scissors. Ā As I am sanding it after I cut anyway, why not?

First I put pencil marks where I want the cut to start and stop, then stretch tape between the two points.

9288023040_a95d15a091_z.jpg

Ā 

Using a glove on the hand that holds the piece (I previously found out how sharp those scissors are with one slip)

9285245105_2e73f2da8d_z.jpg

Ā 

I then cut off the excess.

9285244999_5a6a0e1bff_z.jpg

Ā 

Instead of trying to wrestle with it to get two sides glues together at the same time, I just glue the inside shims to both sides of one piece and then when dry I will glue up the other side.

9288034954_90827f62c6_z.jpg

Today I managed to add the cover strips to the butt-joints on the forearms. Ā I will be able to slip them on and off over my hands, although barely. Ā I am rethinking the ribbed elastic I got. Ā It seems like it will be noticeable in areas, and my tests with the snaps have not filled me with confidence. Ā 

Ā 

Here is the obligatory forearm glued up pic:

Ā 

9314329783_0cc2d4dcf2_z.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

94 degrees out there today and the shop is even hotter. Ā This was about all I could get done today. Ā 

Started on the calves today. Ā Trimmed up the overlaps to do the butt-joint in front, but I'm not quite sue how I'm going to do the rear overlap. Ā I have to decide where the velcro is going to be and how the coverstrip will work with it. Ā Can anyone point me to some good tutorials for that part?

• 1 month later...

While I can't help you with your last question - or any that I know of, really - I want to say that I'll be keeping an eye on your build thread.Ā  It does look amazing so far.Ā  I'm on Rob's wait list and just beginning to assemble my cool collection of "things" that will be necessary to complete the armor (tools, undergarments, boots, etc...).Ā  I'll be waiting until 2014 sometime for my brown box.

Ā 

Sending you a PM, btw...Ā  Have a few questions, but they are probably more appropriate for a PM, as opposed to your build thread!

Ā 

Thanks for sharing though.Ā  I'm enthralled with all of the builds to look at!

Ā 

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...