Starting to think about creating my Death Trooper

Final photos - well, almost final... Need to shorten shoulder straps a little bit and add more bandages to lower part of thighs...

329850_3555797734907_1135355206_o.jpg

400905_3555799494951_1576023447_n.jpg

408186_3555799974963_1877624285_n.jpg

10440_3555800334972_742785178_n.jpg

Edited by YouCantBe Sidious

• 2 weeks later...

I am suppose to be getting a full set of used and abused armor that has sat in a bag for years and will be made up of two different suits, it was going to be thrown out so I thought why not try to make a death trooper out of it. thanks for the inspiration Dude.

Awesome Dan! I am still waiting on approval or not. It's been about 2 weeks. I know they're backed up a bit, but, hopefully I will hear something soon.

Looking forward to reading your build thread and keeping up! Have fun! I did!

we just got a new GML since we are getting bigger and the CO cannot do everything anymore, was a time he was it, anyways our GML is pretty fast so far so when the time comes I should not have to wait, I do have to wait until my friend gets around to going through his armor and decides what to give me though :(

Thanks Tony!

Dan, I found a lot of pieces by posting in the 501st for sale section.

My kit is pieces from several makers. Made it a challenge and fun!

• 2 weeks later...

From the author:

Dude, great work. Love it! Thanks for your message and the pictures. Looks amazing.

Have a great weekend.

Rock on,

Joe

http://www.scaryparent.blogspot.com/

Page:

163 its cowling and visual sensors were covered with blood

187 Blood gushed out of his side

217 coughing and puking blood into their masks

229 skidding backward in the splattered reservoir of blood

242 encrusted with dried blood and mucus

306 eating until there was nothing left but blood that might be lapped up from the cold durasteel floors

304 ...he saw that they were dripping with blood

394 ...Blood was spurting recklessly from the wound in his leg

493 bloodstained stormtrooper helmet

494 blood caked all around the mouthpiece

648 it was busily slurping his blood, ripping huge gobbets of his flesh

• 5 weeks later...

269807_3776049961075_103681320_n.jpg

Modified the arms by request and have raised the thighs since this photo - the wife and I attended a Halloween shindig last weekend. Will run around downtown Dallas in this, this weekend and am wearing it to Rob Zombie/Manson on Halloween.

Edited by YouCantBe Sidious

Just a heads-up to all would-be-zombies. Despite what references may be in the books, the CRL very clearly states:

"May have stains that emulate dried blood. Liquid / permanently wet fake blood is not allowed."

This has been debated quite a bit, but it really comes down to this: The Deathtrooper would not have been allowed in the 501st without that clause. So, if you want the suit approved, that's what has to be done.

This build is SICK! I am inspired! I HAVE to track down some cheap/beat up armor and do this before Dragon-Con next year!

Thanks man! I am most likely going to install my dual fan from you in this bucket as well!

As to the CRL, all of my "wet" appearing blood is actually mostly cut armor with protruding prosthetic wounds. ex. chest, belt, face, arms, legs. The rest are dremel scratches with black paint, touched up with a line of scabbed "dried" blood. - It's Ben Nye Fresh Scab. Maybe I should not have used my iPhone to take pics?

I understand the CRL. I have read it.

BUT, the author, in my humble opinion, had a different idea in mind. See quote above from author. I'm a horror movie and zombie fanatic. I have my clean TK (expert) and I will consider cleaning my Death Trooper (which I can't really even imagine I will ever be sending anyone at Star Garrison a "can I wear my DT to a function?" anyway) as requested for approval.

Respectfully, I completely disagree with the CRL. You can also read the quotes from the book above. To me, the CRL reads like, "Kill your TK, but don't really kill him. Just make him look cracked and old."

Beyond that, getting a response like this: "I personally hate the idea of this costume and feel it only has a place at AllCon or DragonCon as a freakshow item. I'd leave any event where this costume shows up and children are present. But my opinion is not relevant, it's an LMO approval costume anyway, so the two LMO's will judge and approve it. I'll just be acting as the go-between."

- is unacceptable...

Respectfully,

TK9727

What it really comes down to is that the deathtrooper was approved for Legion membership by only the narrowest of narrow margins. Many people really, really, REALLY hated that it was acceptable at all.

What your GML said there is, in my opinion, unprofessional. But, it also represents a pretty large body of the Legion.

The non-gory version of the Deathtrooper is what was approved for membership. It was a compromise on the parts of many people. Ultimately the costume is Star Wars canon and there was no good reason NOT to allow it. That's not to say it had to be approved without restrictions. I was the front line representative in favor of the deathtrooper in all of those battles... I felt like a zombie myself after some of the arguments.

LFL has requested deathtroopers for promotional events, and specifically asked for them to be bloody. But, LFL does not approve costumes. The LFL requested deathtroopers remain unapprovable.

Knowing that "blood & guts" versions are never going to be approved, It's really just a question of whether you want to get yours in the roster or not. If you do, you'll have to tame down the damage a lot. If you don't care about approvals, keep it as-is and have fun.

And for your GML's reference, I've met lots of kids that LOVE zombies and were way more into my deathtrooper than any clean TK!

I understand mate. And to be fair, there were two types of zombies in the book. Those that caught the airborne virus, and those who were attacked, eaten and killed...

As I said above, and I don't mean to argue or try to cause a stir up or whatnot, but I am going to enjoy the gory version this Halloween and then consider what I can do to possibly remove the extra blood. I guess the issue then, would be the exposed guts. I bought prosthetics from Halloween and special effects shops. I love the look. Not sure there's a way to clean that up.

The blood is really the concern. The CRL allows for prosthetics... Check out Marty Miller's deathtrooper. He has a ton of broken armor / exposed flesh.

The blood is sort of the key for the 501st.

Of course, your garrison probably won't ever let you wear it anyway. I've only worn mine at horror cons and zombie walks. It's still fun though!

Of course, your garrison probably won't ever let you wear it anyway. I've only worn mine at horror cons and zombie walks. It's still fun though!

Haha... I'm afraid the GML might go postal on me if I asked.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...