Thalizar TKC WIP

Hello everyone,

I'm still fairly new to the 501st, and my first armor build of any type. This an ATA kit that will make it's transformation into a TKC. I will need to make some modifications to be able to get EIB and that is in the works. Still need to paint the ear screws. The picture does not show the weathering as much, did not want to overdo the weathering as to look like a sandy, can always go back and add if need be. I used Testors "Blue Angels blue" and I believe it was a pretty good match. Any pointers from any other TKC's would be greatly welcome. As I get more done I will post updated pics.

post-15515-0-56740000-1325490276_thumb.jpg

post-15515-0-55665600-1325490926_thumb.jpg

post-15515-0-09039700-1325490947_thumb.jpg

post-15515-0-11159700-1325490965_thumb.jpg

post-15515-0-45200700-1325490979_thumb.jpg

Did some work on the AB plate I trimmed down the AB button plate since it sat to hight then trimmed it with a two part flexible compound that I use for sportbike fairing repair. Also added the fifth vertical button location using two part modeling compound and finished it off with squadron putty. With the shoulder bells I liked the battle worn I've been through hell look, so I decided to add some blaster hits into them. I heated the back of the bells and made slight depressions into them. I then weathered the bells and then did some drybrushing on the hits to give them a scoring effect. will go back and do some touch up effects on the armor when completed.

post-15515-0-74601700-1325703932_thumb.jpg

post-15515-0-64245500-1325703946_thumb.jpg

post-15515-0-38004900-1325703963_thumb.jpg

Dan, do you have a photobucket account? It would make these pictures larger and easier to see...add you don't have to click on them...like this

Dan's ATA stuff

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

"....and what really gets them is when you stick your butt out like this...."

IMG_0160.jpg

First attempt at doing the upper body strapping. I do not have a liner or foam in the bucket yet so I kinda have the bobblehead look.. Also no shoulder straps on yet, wanted to see how everything sat before putting them on. Any input would be greatly welcome. I used snaps for all the connections. Also have a question, since I can't use straps that go around the biceps to secure the shoulder bells how would you go about keeping the bells in place? Any other TKCs have any good suggestions?

Straptestoutside1.jpg

Straptestclose2-1.jpg

Straptestcloseup.jpg

Straptestoutsideright.jpg

Straptestpointing.jpg

Edited by Thalizar

I'm using an ATA kit and this kit does have a seperate kidney and butt plate. In the CRL it says that for EI the two parts need to be one solid piece. Since I have a longer torso I needed to put some shims in between my kidney and butt plate and also cut and make my abdomen plate longer. The shimming is completely hidden by my belt. Would this pass as a one piece kidney/butt piece since now it is one unit and the seem is hidden?

Thanks Sean, your build is grea,t took alot of ideas from your build. Some more test shots. The belt is not completed yet, and sorry for the indoors shots. I used the Testors Blue Angels Blue. Still some weathering needs to be done.

Fulltest2right.jpg

Fulltest1left.jpg

fulltestfront2.jpg

How did you get that amazing paint effect of the minimal scratching? I'm currently in the process of re-doing my Blue areas as I felt the scratching was too much. i really like yours, please post a how to...

Actually not to much to it. What I did was use an Xacto blade and put the marks in where I wanted them. A bit more time consuming. Just lightly scrape the paint off.

Finally finished! Approval applied for. Big thanks goes out to the Wisconsin Garrison for all the support and help they have given me. A couple pics of the completed build, not approval shots just playing around at home. :dancing-trooper:

TKCfinishedgunup.jpg

TKCfinishedholdup.jpg

TKCfinishedwithPaige.jpg

TKCfinishedshooting.jpg

Saw this on the GML boards and it's an easy pass. You took your time and did it right - you should be very proud of the results! :duim: