RF: Getting green lenses FLAT

Try as I might, my green lenses will not lay flat in my helmet. The eye bone area is not flat or flush to the curve. It ripples or has gaps or looks a bit warped.

Should I try making it a little more flush?

Or is there some nice technique for getting cellophane to have a nice "flat" appearance?

I'm trying to avoid having gaps between the cellophane and the eye bone. And trying not to trim too closely.

Or maybe nobody is perfect and I shouldn't worry too much about it?

Thanks!

Before I got welder's shield lenses installed, my plastic had a hole in each end that slipped over the ear screw on each side to hold it in place. The sheet didn't perfectly match the contour of the helmet but it is what it is. Now I have the lenses glued in and I sit the cellophane behind it for extra darkess/flash protection.

• 1 month later...

Four eons later...

This is what it looks like if you inspect it closely. My eyebone cut looks pretty straight, so it's something about the bulging INSIDE the helmet that's warping it.

-----------

And here's what it looks like from a frontal, "untrained eye" point of view (aka someone wanting a photo)...

---------

So maybe you can't really tell and I should let it go?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Personally, I'd try sanding/cutting more out from the inside, to make the curve smoother. There's a fair bit of flashing still there, so you shouldn't have to stress about cutting too much.

The eyes need a bit more trimming to, this will also help. Particularly the left one as you look at the helmet. Have a look at some original helmets, they have much larger eye sockets. This will also give you better visibility!

I had that issue after a bit of over fiddling (doh!), however it was always my intention to use the green grade 5 welding faceshield anyway.

I just put a blob of milliput inside the snozzer, let it cure then screwed (self-tapper) the trimmed down faceshield in to it!

g8bsPLT.jpg

On 2/24/2012 at 6:42 PM, TK9477 said:

I had that issue after a bit of over fiddling (doh!), however it was always my intention to use the green grade 5 welding faceshield anyway.

I just put a blob of milliput inside the snozzer, let it cure then screwed (self-tapper) the trimmed down faceshield in to it!

Cool idea...I dig your blue foam too Grant! :)

AAHH very good, thanks!

Yeah I could dig out a bit more on those eye sockets... man I hate to take that baby apart again!!! :D Afraid it'll be the "killing stroke" every time!