New holster design

I am in the process of a new armor project. For the exception of my blaster, everything else is being re built from scratch. I picked up a "shoulder" of black, italian cowhide yesterday. It is very rigid and perfect for a new holster. I began reviewing my own blueprints and others found here. A recent post showed a holster design next to a screen grab from ANH (C3PO talks to troopers in control room). Something about the holsters in the film compared to the ones in FISD just didn't add up to me. Something seemed off.

Now I will stir the pot!!! This is all for the sake of accuracy!!!!

ALL holster designs I have seen so far produce a holster that is essentially a tube when finished. The holsters I have seen in the film are tapered being wider at the top of the opening and thinner at the bottom. I thought my eyes were fooling me until I put a tape measure on the screen. I sat with a piece of paper(cheaper than leather) drew, and cut out a common holster based on Troopermaster's blueprints. I reduced the measurements using a scale of 1/2"= 1". I will spare you the test runs....but I proceeded to redesign the part of the holster that folds over. I increased the top and decreased the bottom. I then transfered all those measurements based on the 1/2"-1" scale and made a physical example. I ended up with a design that when finished, turned out (in my opinion) to duplicate the screen grab.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Looks good to me. Are there other images this good of holsters? I ask, wondering if all were the same. Say they have a templates laid out on a large piece of leather to cut them out and produce a lot of them and some had to be turned/angled to fit in some areas to use as much material as possible without waste. Just a thought as to maybe a cause for differences if there are any.

interesting design, just so you know, the TM 2 pattern looks exactly like the screen grab.

Ā 

I think the angle design shown here is cool, but the look that you get with the more standard design

Ā 

can also aproximate your screen grab.

Just a thought.

Ā 

And I like where it's going... But you might want to go a little wider ... Taking the perspective in account, it will look a bit narrow compared to viewing it straight on.

Ā 

Ā 

interesting design, just so you know, the TM 2 pattern looks exactly like the screen grab.

Ā 

I think the angle design shown here is cool, but the look that you get with the more standard design

Ā 

can also aproximate your screen grab.

Vern, can you link me with the TM 2 design?

On 12/30/2011 at 4:14 AM, gazmosis said:

Ā 

--------

Don't get me wrong but isn't it a continuous slope and not stepped at the front. Look how it tails like a halter-skelter!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Hi Steve i like where your going with this , i to like the design of that holster it kinda reminds me of the one on the Simon belt ;) Tantive Raid yes baby :)

Ā 

captur16.jpg.8db0e250e4b59d25c02701734dc6cd6c.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Don't get me wrong but isn't it a continuous slope and not stepped at the front. Look how it tails like a halter-skelter!

I saw that and actually took a bit off the left side so it seems like a slope rather than such a hard angle. I am currently making a marine vinyl miniature of this design before I go hacking at my italian leather.

Did a marine vinyl mini version. This is REALLY floppy stuff. No backbone. It's only 11 inches top to bottom and not sewn very well. Not bad, though I am not liking how step the angle on the right side is. Sadly, the screen grab does not show a DIFINITIVE line and seems to be mostly covered by the retaining strap. I just might angle it a bit more. ----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I think you are not looking at the holster properly. Take a look at more photos or screen caps and you'll see the holsters are pretty much the same as my design (although the TM blueprints have been updated a while back).

Ā 

If you look at the bottom and see how it seems to taper, this is simply because the bottom is more tubular and flattens out towards the top. Most of the holsters look flat in ANH, but they are designed to be kind of tubular to hold the blaster. I haven't spent too much time looking into the holsters over the past few years so can't really say too much about them, but I am keen to see where you end up with this.

Ā 

Looking at the RS/Simon holster, it is definitely a holster worn by the Death Star Troopers/Guards. Look when Vader and the Guards go into the detention cell to see Leia, the same holsters can be seen clearly on them.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I see your work. but your cut is completely incorrect according to the closeup evidence of holster 3

Ā 

---------

holster 1 and holster 3 are TM2 mod. sci man is 2.

Ā 

holster 3 does not have a cut like you're showing.

Ā 

TM's pattern is the best around. and with a few simple cuts it can be exactly like holster 3

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I'm afraid I'm with Paul and Vern on this. It only looks cone-shaoed because of the perspective and curves in the leather.

Ā 

Here is my holster made using the TM pattern by Vern. It's not tapered but it appears so from the same angle. I think this is just a case of overthinking things.

Ā 

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 12/30/2011 at 8:06 AM, SW1 said:

Hi Steve i like where your going with this , i to like the design of that holster it kinda reminds me of the one on the Simon belt ;) Tantive Raid yes baby :)

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Hey that holster looks familiar! B)

Ā 

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

put tan straps on it.

Ā 

ditch the black ones.

Ā 

screen accurate.

Ā 

you could always add the little black stripes and the black patterns to the T det\

Ā 

and you could add the black abdomen buttons and the black spots on the forearms

Ā 

but that's not SA.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

if you compare the sci man holster on screen, and the photo. it's apparent that the straps were dyed black

after the armor left the set.

Ā 

if you look closely at the photo shown of the belt the thermal detonator has black lines painted on it.

even the body of the T det is black.

Ā 

==========

Ā 

black straps on this belt above

Ā 

black lines on T det- showing painting by a previous owner- or by someone off set.

Ā 

and tan straps on the belt on screen. as shown below on holster 2

Ā 

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Yes i see what you mean Vern , but my point is some troopers did have black straps on screen , you can see the trooper standing nearest to Vader has black straps .

Ā 

Ā 

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed