Trying to choose helmet to go with ata armor

Ok i was wondering what helmet you think i should go with i have a 24"/61cm head its pretty big. Im looking to get a helmet which when assembled i wont have to do a 90 degree turn, without having to trim too much off the helmet but have it match the ata abs color? I have been searching the forums and have been getting a bunch of different answers. Oh and also on the cheaper side like 150 being highest. Thanks alot for your time just would hate to spend the money on a helmet and have it not look right or just not fit.

From what i heard/read it looked like my two main options were efx and rt, but would like to hear other peoples opnions.

Edited by dante12721

60 cm head, dont want to turn your head to put it on, under 150usd ........ FX hemlet or rubbies

any helmet u get if u want it to look good will be TE linage type helmet, AP ATA, but all of these with your hat size u will need to turn/screw on your head.

But wait to see what other say and suggest.

Do you have neck issues that don't allow you to turn your head? I am not being a smart a** but unless you have a mellon like Frankenstein's monster, like Joey said, any TE lineage helmet will fit you. Yes you need to turn your head a bit to get it on but so what. (Bring out your torches and pitchforks) I just hate to see and accurate set of armor like ATA ruined by being topped off by an FX helmet. Just my opinion.

All TE lineage helmets require a turn to get them on. Heck, I'm pretty sure even the original guys had to do it as well. Contrary to popular believe an ATA will fit even the largest of domes if assembled properly. Throwing an FX, or EFX bucket on an ATA kit makes no sense whatsoever. I would say that if you're that concerned with it, see if you can pick up a CAP. Those are slightly larger than the ATA but look very nice.

the EFX or MRCE is much better in appearance than the FX and has ample space inside and the head hole is very large. but it will cost a bit more that 150$

also note that the helmet will need to be modified for legion acceptance :)

IMHO just get the ATA helmet. you will get used to the fit after a short time and it will look much better ;)

I had an ESB efx and had to turn the helmet to get it on. Same with my current RT-MOD which is slightly bigger than a TEish helmet.

Is it possible to assemble a kit yourself in such a way that it would have more room?

Or maybe use thinner or less padding to create more space for your squash?

Are there some folks in your local garrison who might be willing to let you try on a few different helmets to see what fits? It might be worth doing so before spending the cash for a helmet that looks funky with an ata kit.

Aloha and good luck.

-Eric

(null)

You could trim the chin area of the neck line. And maybe a little around the back edge of the neck. This way you will open the neck area up. do a little at a time til you get it where you feel comfortable.

EFX PCR Lid is one way to go.. Their TK lid can be put on without turning your head or the lid...

Also, SDS/AA lids neck openings are wide that you can put it on without turning your head or turning the lid...If you can get someone in the UK to ship a Battle spec kit, that could be one way to go. The SDS/AA lid done look better than the EFX.

TRHHkxx.jpg

IMHO, try trimming the front and back of the neck area of your ATA LID first.. Note: If you have already cut the rubber gasket to the neck area, then you will need to purchase a replacement gasket (because of the larger neck opening).

This way you will have a better looking lid and it should be able to be put on without turn it or your head. :smiley-sw013:

If you do the mod to the ATA all you will need is the new Gasket.

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

FX lid it is then!!

Hahaha.

But in all seriousness. Id trim a little off from the neck area(the faceplate and cap). Then go from there. I think almost everyone here has to twist the helmet to put it on. Thats how they did it for the originals anyways.

Edited by vecspeed12

On 12/30/2011 at 2:24 AM, dante12721 said:

I think im gonna try the mtk and hope for the best. Thanks everyone for the quick replys

MTK lid is basically the same size as ATA (same lineage). I think you are going to be wasting your money to purchase it. Trading an apple for and an apple, not an apple for and cantaloupe, or for a pineapple.

----------

You might want to look into RT-Mod.

RT-Mod is a little bigger, but it is a 5 piece (Faceplate, Cap, Back/bell, and two ears) were as the ATA and MTK are 4 piece kits (Faceplate, Cap/back, and two Ears).

Or, try the trimming the neck area like I said before. :)

Just my 2 cents.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Im not tottally against turning my head to get the helmet on, however i would like for the helmet to have some room once on. Im trying to avoid fx.

I have a grade A AP and in it, i have 2 fans, comm system, amplifier mic, padding etc etc all self contaned in the lid. sung fit but do-able.

Have a look at your garrison mates lids to get feel for there lids and sizes.

@ Tom I dont have a helmet yet, i was planning on going with the mtk since it comes with everything i need and is still a reasonable price, and looks good. I was just trying to see what my options were regarding to what helmet i should purchase, and not waste money in the process. Thanks for the 2cents though.

When i do get the kit i am going to try trimming around the neck like you suggested.